Two Steps Ahead

Two Steps Ahead

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Supports:Metro, US Nats
http://scn.matchnigh...LE&article=1121

i personally feel we should've been compensated, but at least we knew it was coming..

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts
  • Interests:I do things
  • Supports:RBNY
There goes our chance at the Seton Hall kid. No way he lasts till 9th pick IMO.

LordGhoti

LordGhoti

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • Supports:USA, Metro, Celtic, Houston Dynamo
I realize it does not mean much dropping down four spots but this is even worse than I hoped. Not only are we admitting that Gaven and Buddle are not equal value but the trade is stating Buddle is worth more.

Regardless, I still think Buddle is a good pickup.

UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain

Shogun of Jersey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,584 posts
  • Interests:I do things
  • Supports:RBNY

I realize it does not mean much dropping down four spots but this is even worse than I hoped. Not only are we admitting that Gaven and Buddle are not equal value but the trade is stating Buddle is worth more.

I agree for the most part. I can see why people would think Buddle is worth more now, but long term investment wise I'd still put my money on Gaven. I won't complain about the trade now. I'll wait and see if we can win a trophy this year first.

metrodoria

metrodoria

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Supports:Sampdoria, Red Bulls

I realize it does not mean much dropping down four spots but this is even worse than I hoped.  Not only are we admitting  that Gaven and Buddle are not equal value but the trade is stating Buddle is worth more.

I think Buddle is worth more right now. Eventually probably not but who knows? I like Buddle alot, I think he will flourish here with Youri. With the draft pick being swapped, Mo is showing his "all about winning next season" mentality. I don't think he cares about the college scene much. Reports state that it isn't a very strong draft anyways. With the recent acquisitions and if they could land a strong def mid, this team will be very entertaining to watch.
"He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright." -George Best referring to David Beckham.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
wonder if the metros are gonna package that 1st round pick in another deal tomorrow before the actual draft:

amado + 1st rd pick (9th overall) to dallas for eddie johnson ???

maybe that may be more appealing to dallas, who apparently dont want EJ for amado straight up

Two Steps Ahead

Two Steps Ahead

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Supports:Metro, US Nats

while i think Buddle is more likely to pay off immediate dividends on the field, i also think Gaven will net MLS a larger fee when sold...for that reason, i do think we should have been compensated by Columbus, and not vice versa, so that sucks..

anyways, i agree trading Eddie is truly sad because he's a hometown kid who we've had from Day 1 - BUT, i do notice that the same people complaining about us losing our young players, are the same people who are quick to bitch about how we haven't won anything (and really anything else they can think of at the moment)

so which is it? well, he definitely gave us some great moments, but watching Eddie Gaven grow up sure as hell doesn't take the sting off of never having won a championship...so why should we care about trying to line up players we can develop, before we even have a team that is a serious contender?

in Buddle, you have to consider that he's only 24, yet he's already scored at least 9 goals in each of the last 4 seasons...remember, that's been on some very weak Columbus teams..

finally, there are only 12 teams in the league, and the player pool is still large, so this should not at all be compared to the New York Rangers, or any other team in a different sport, as i've been reading here recently.

tkgunn

tkgunn

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Supports:Metros, USMNT
Buddle also had to share time with McBride and Cunningham. Edson will be a fine player for us for many years. I really see him having a great year with our midfield and Mo's help. Not to mention if we pick up EJ that will give us the best forward tandem in the league.

AbercrombieAnde

AbercrombieAnde

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Dont forget Buddle and EJ have already played together for the Under-23 national team.

MetroSquard

MetroSquard

ain't nuttin to fcuk wit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, USA
It's pretty obvious that MoJo doesn't have the "youth to build the team on" mentality. So I doubt draft picks picks have a high value for him, unless he can get good trades with them. Losing that 9th overall draft pic in order to get EJ here with Buddle wouldn't phase me in the least either.

As far as Gaven; I'll miss the kid, but I'm probably just as impatient as MoJo for this team to get a Cup. Buddle can help get the Cup in 2006 and Gaven can't, it's as simple as that.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

He joins a team in the midst of a complete overhaul in the striker ranks. Columbus signed Chilean Chilean international Sebastian Rozental just a week ago and are likely not done yet.

Chilean Chilean? Did he play for Colo Colo?

I understand this trade, but the draft pick part seems unnecessary, as Buddle is the troubled player here. When we had to unload Johnny, it was because we needed to get rid of him. I don't see that we needed to get rid of Gaven.

Somehow, when dealing from strength, we got the deal of weakness.

22nd & Counting

22nd & Counting

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Supports:Arsenal
This is the most positive thread I've seen in quite awhile. I like it!

Personally, I think this is a quality transfer and I look forward to seeing Buddle in Stripes. When he's on, he's damn near untouchable. Here's hoping Mo and Youri can keep him on!

DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Supports:Metros
Well I personally think Columbus raped us again tradewise ... guess I'm in the minority.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
whoa whoa whoa wtffff...i can live with Gaven straight up for Buddle but why ,,why the draft pick swap????? Must C-bus always get one up on us??

We'll find out the whole deal tommarow, maybe Metro plans on packaging that #9 and our #2nd round pick with Razov in exchange for Chivas' #1 overall+ allocatioin $$?

Or maybe metro feels that the guy they really want will fall to #9

stay tunned i have a feeling we're not going to stay put in the draft , eitehr get rid of the picks or move up with packages

5 year plan

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro
EB x Gaven straight up was a fair deal. WHy the hell did we need to swap draft picks? Once again Metro comes up short in the barganing table. Sure Buddle is good RIGHT NOW but Gaven will be good LATER so it all plays itself out. Plus its not like Gaven is completely inept, he just hasnt reached his potential thats all. He is still a top 10 MLS midfielder at 19!

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users