• Please log in to reply
1244 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

good to know we only have 1 player (not aquired in the last few off seasons) on this list 

https://www.mlssocce...ers-2020-season

Long is #19.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

This really blows my mind. 

It's like being a fan of the Oakland A's.  What an awful offseason.  Screw Hamlett for the things he said because clearly they were bullshit.  Signing nobody was probably due to incompetence, but either way it's just not good enough.

Marsch made something work because he had guys willing to walk through fire.  Maintaining that motivation is rare and Armas will prove that further.

On a different note, with how much Armas has talked about everyone not buying in, you really have to wonder if Robles was a part of that.  Murillo clearly had an attitude problem so he's an obvious one.  Can even buy into Taxi.  But to go out of your way to get rid of Robles for no reason at all, it really makes you wonder how they weren't happy with him.  Nothing else makes sense in his case.  WIth BWP, it was form.  He was older and we all knew it was coming but with Robles, he was still pretty good.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,459 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It's like being a fan of the Oakland A's.  What an awful offseason.  Screw Hamlett for the things he said because clearly they were bullshit.  Signing nobody was probably due to incompetence, but either way it's just not good enough.

Marsch made something work because he had guys willing to walk through fire.  Maintaining that motivation is rare and Armas will prove that further.

On a different note, with how much Armas has talked about everyone not buying in, you really have to wonder if Robles was a part of that.  Murillo clearly had an attitude problem so he's an obvious one.  Can even buy into Taxi.  But to go out of your way to get rid of Robles for no reason at all, it really makes you wonder how they weren't happy with him.  Nothing else makes sense in his case.  WIth BWP, it was form.  He was older and we all knew it was coming but with Robles, he was still pretty good.

There's no way Robles was a problem.  Whether you agree or not, Robles was making a lot of money and is about to turn 36.  We all know 36 isn't especially old for a keeper, but 36 is 106 in Red Bull years.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

There's no way Robles was a problem.  Whether you agree or not, Robles was making a lot of money and is about to turn 36.  We all know 36 isn't especially old for a keeper, but 36 is 106 in Red Bull years.    

36 is old, especially in Red Bull years, but it's not old for a keeper.  Even in Red Bull world.  And when you factor in money, it's looking like Jensen and Meara (with his raise) aren't going to be all that different than Robles as far as money goes.

This really doesn't look like it was a money thing. Something else was up.  And usually when that's the case, it's off the field stuff.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

36 is old, especially in Red Bull years, but it's not old for a keeper.  Even in Red Bull world.  And when you factor in money, it's looking like Jensen and Meara (with his raise) aren't going to be all that different than Robles as far as money goes.

This really doesn't look like it was a money thing. Something else was up.  And usually when that's the case, it's off the field stuff.

nah

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Wait until we see what Jensen is making.  I'd be good money it's close to what Robles was.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Mearas distribution has always been better than Robles, which is important if you want to build quickly from the back. Something that always drove me nuts about Luis was him getting the ball passed back and instead of playing out with his back line, he would wave everyone up the field and then boot the ball resulting on a loss of possession.

That and crosses...

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

36 is old for any athlete. Petr Cech was useless as a 36-year-old for Arsenal. Robles isn't Cech, and he was in a year-over-year statistical decline that placed him solidly in the middle of the pack of MLS goalkeepers.

Moving on from Robles was the right decision.

Everything else associated with how it was handled, including signing a mediocre foreign goalkeeper to maybe be the starter, was the wrong decision.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

That's fine.  If some people think it was due to drop in form then I'm good with that.  His xGA was worse this season compared to last season but he was still middle of the pack.  I can buy into the drop in form but I'm just surprised they'd go as far as releasing him and then sign another keeper to probably a very similar contract.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

36 is old for any athlete. Petr Cech was useless as a 36-year-old for Arsenal. Robles isn't Cech, and he was in a year-over-year statistical decline that placed him solidly in the middle of the pack of MLS goalkeepers.

Moving on from Robles was the right decision.

Everything else associated with how it was handled, including signing a mediocre foreign goalkeeper to maybe be the starter, was the wrong decision.

With all of the savings from the salary of Robles, we've been able to invest elsewhere on the pitch  *checks notes* .... to ensure we bring in a backup RB and zero starting LBs.

But yeah, moving on from Robles and replacing him with younger and cheaper players (guessing here until we see details in May) is not the problem. Not acquiring starting level quality elsewhere is.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,807 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

They prob charge the players for soft drinks at the TF commissary. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Well Hull are only 4 points from the drop, so maybe theyll sell Lopes to us when they get relegated.

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Well you can 100 percent attribute to no one buying into the system because Armas decided to switch from the press to possession oriented approach which worked wonders last year. When the team used the press they would do well, when they let up we would allow a bunch of goals

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

That's fine.  If some people think it was due to drop in form then I'm good with that.  His xGA was worse this season compared to last season but he was still middle of the pack.  I can buy into the drop in form but I'm just surprised they'd go as far as releasing him and then sign another keeper to probably a very similar contract.

Its about what he makes in relation to his age and declining skill set.

Wait until we see what Jensen is making.  I'd be good money it's close to what Robles was.

27 versus 36 years old.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Well Hull are only 4 points from the drop, so maybe theyll sell Lopes to us when they get relegated.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users