Photo

Section CAPO (CHEER NAZI)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
129 replies to this topic

Poll: Section CAPO (53 member(s) have cast votes)

Section CAPO

1. Yes - We need better coordination (41 votes [77.36%])

Percentage of vote: 77.36%

2. No - Things are just fine as they are (12 votes [22.64%])

Percentage of vote: 22.64%

Vote

#1 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

Since the [R] Week 13 : Galaxy vs. Columbus completely derailed into a "spirited discussion" about the Squad's poor performance last Saturday, I'm starting this thread for people to discuss how we can improve.

One suggestion that keeps coming up is whether or not we should use CAPOs.

The purpose of the Poll is so that the opinion of people who post 10 times in this thread only counts once. Other than that, it really doesn't mean much as only a small percentage of people who actually go to the games will read this thread.

IMHO: We already have a rotating CAPO system. Anyone who turns their back to the field to get the rest of the section into a chant is a CAPO. In order to help the Newbies that come every week, I'd like to make them more visible. Whether or not this would actually work, I don't know, but I'd like to try it a few times.

Posts thoughts, comments, suggestions here.

No flamers please.

#2 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

First post. This space for rent.

I voted yes, it has been a clusterfuck lately, to the point it's not worth even joining a chant unless the whole section joins in, because if you jump in from the start half the time you will be canceled out by something else. With like, 3-4 different areas of the LARS section all trying to start their own shit, you can't expect anything but a mess.

I realize a lot of old timers probably fear change, but it does not take a prophet from the mountains to come down and tell you that LARS sounds shitty lately because it's a victim of its own success. Not only are there new people who don't know the chants, they also don't know the key people to jump in behind (Dan, Ed, TM and the drums, etc). So it's just chaotic. And even if you are not a "noob", you still have to choose which little chant leader you are going to follow at any given time. Last game, honest to God I saw Isaac start one in front of me, while ZC and Jamesy were doing some new clap thing, all while from the back of 138 there was a growing "Riot Squad we are here..." I looked behind me at Tommy and he just had this bewildered look.

I can see the appeal of a seething pool of disjointed chaos that is about as collectively loud and impressive as the Galaxians, but more direction by people we all know, love and trust will only be a good thing. I have a feeling if it happens, regulars to the stadium will hear the new LARS and be like WTF?? In a very good way.

#3 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Here are a few things to take into consideration:

1) Reverb - Delay in Sound: Light travels faster than sound. We did not think that 138/7 were big enough to cause a distortion in sound but this IS the case. So when a chant is started in either extreme (lower or higher) there is going to be a delay in the sound and cause an echo effect. This is where the drums make THE difference in trying to keep everyone in order!

2) If I was around someone starting some lame ass chant (which has been done by both noobs and oldies), and it was a group of people I hadn't seen before, I would advise them on how things really work/function around the section. And if they don't like it, they can start their own group!

3) People who wish to start a chant should take a whopping 5 seconds of their precious time and see IF a chant is already started or if someone has tried to start one already!!! This didn't JUST start occuring when we migrated to 137, but it has been going on for quite a while!

4) I think the megaphone is a great idea but can we please be a little bit more conscious on WHO we pass it on to! Who's That Guy? did a great job with it on Saturday but I beg to differ on the people behind him who were screaming faggot, drinking and tits at the women walking pitch side.

Just my $0.02
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#4 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:38 AM

In 2003 when we filled up half of 138, we didn't need a capo. Now that we fill up 137 and 138, it's a good idea. I'm definitely not volunteering though. I want to watch all 90 minutes.

where will capo stand?

can we call the person something different than capo? this isn't Italia, jajajaja.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#5 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

how's "HNIC" (head nigga in charge) its a term my grandfather has endeared to my heart
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#6 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

I realize a lot of old timers probably fear change, but it does not take a prophet from the mountains to come down and tell you that LARS sounds shitty lately because it's a victim of its own success.

You know Josh, I'm not sure how you missed this along the way, but attributing motives to others is not a very good way to make friends.

Aside from that, I agree with what you posted.

And Jamesey, a "capo regime" isn't Italian. It goes back to the Romans - don't you know your Godfather?

#7 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

In 2003 when we filled up half of 138, we didn't need a capo. Now that we fill up 137 and 138, it's a good idea. I'm definitely not volunteering though. I want to watch all 90 minutes.

where will capo stand?

can we call the person something different than capo? this isn't Italia, jajajaja.

I'm not volunteering either. I have a loud mouth, but I have no rhythm. The only time I ever turn around during a game is just after we score a goal - cause I don't want to miss what's going on down on the field either.

Where the capo stands depends upon whether we use a CAPO stand, or just bullhorns. Either way - I think they should be somewhere down front, so that everyone can see them. This of course becomes problematic as the first couple rows are already jam packed.

I'm not keen on the capo name either - it should be unique to LA.

Synonyms for Leader from Thesaurus.com:

archimandrite, avant-garde, bellwether, bishop, boss, cantor, captain, cardinal, caudillo, chairman, chairperson, champion, chief, chieftain, coach, commander, conductor, dean, doyen, doyenne, duke, elder, executive, figurehead, foreman, front man, general, governor, groundbreaker, guide, guru, head, hierophant, honcho, innovator, line, lion, maestro, mentor, mogul, pacemaker, patron saint, pilot, pioneer, pope, premier, president, priest, primate, principal, protagonist, rabbi, ruler, shogun, spark plug, speaker, spokesman, trailblazer, trendsetter, tycoon, vanguard, warlord

Personally, I like Shogun. We've already got enough European and SA influence, let's throw some Asian into the mix.

#8 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:47 PM

You know Josh, I'm not sure how you missed this along the way, but attributing motives to others is not a very good way to make friends.

Aside from that, I agree with what you posted.

And Jamesey, a "capo regime" isn't Italian. It goes back to the Romans - don't you know your Godfather?

Oh, I don't mean anyone specifically or what their motivation might be, only that a new person to the group would obviously not "fear change" because it isn't change to them in the first place, being new. I know how seriously a lot of people take this thing of ours (yes that was on purpose) and well, you've already seen "keep things the way they are" kinda vibes. Happens in any situation where something new is advocated, in any walk of life, it's part of the territory.

#9 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:49 PM

Personally, I like Shogun. We've already got enough European and SA influence, let's throw some Asian into the mix.

Shogun means something like "leader of the army".

Honcho is of Japanese origin, too. It means "group leader" or "section leader", a bit like the German "gruppenfuhrer" if I am not mistaken.

I'm with Jamesey on not wanting to be the capo/gruppenfuhrer/shogun/honcho. I got things to do, though I will lend my booming voice to the cause as always.

Also wanting to do it, and being capable of doing it aren't the same. Jus' sayin'.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#10 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

I vote no.

I won't get in the way, but I think all you need for a "capo" is to have somebody get up, get the group's attention and project your voices loudly enough. Don't be shy, this isn't fucking Public Speaking 101. One of my bigger concerns, as somebody who's probably stupid enough to step up and do this, is that we're going to be OFFICIALLY putting somebody up on a stage for the tomato throwers who get pissed off by the 60th when we're down 3-1.

I'll step up my own efforts over the next couple of games (as I did on Saturday when you lot raped the shit out of 'O Landon Donovan') but I don't want a fucking nametag on me.

PS. If we're using nametags, I vote for 'El Jefe'

#11 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:51 PM

I vote no.

I won't get in the way, but I think all you need for a "capo" is to have somebody get up, get the group's attention and project your voices loudly enough. Don't be shy, this isn't fucking Public Speaking 101. One of my bigger concerns, as somebody who's probably stupid enough to step up and do this, is that we're going to be putting somebody up on a stage for the tomato throwers who get pissed off by the 60th when we're down 3-1.

In all seriousness, you should be one. You are one of the few who understand how to get the middle and back in step with the front.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#12 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:57 PM

Whoever is awesome enough to step up and do something like this should get to make their own title.

#13 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

Calling the leader "Gruppenfuhrer" makes me want to support it to my last breath.

But...

Buck's distinction between "wanting" to do it and "being able" to do it is an important one, and it makes me temper my support.

And then Caasi's post made me change my mind.

#14 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Well I think we all know who's capable of it for the most part.

Assuming it's something that has enough support, why not just have a vote of who the best people would be, and of that list, see how many of them would actually do it? Going by the logic that individually we all have the capacity to be stupid, but as a group we are usually right, I doubt you'll end up with somebody up there who doesn't know what they're doing.

#15 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:19 PM

Calling the leader "Gruppenfuhrer" makes me want to support it to my last breath.

Good one.

EDIT: I just wrote and deleted a delicious joke about concentration camps.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users