119 replies to this topic

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Just a twitter rumor, so take it with the obvious grain of salt, but this says that we turned down a 500k loan fee and 4.5M option to buy for Long to West Ham.

https://twitter.com/...0511011841?s=20

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Just a twitter rumor, so take it with the obvious grain of salt, but this says that we turned down a 500k loan fee and 4.5M option to buy for Long to West Ham.

https://twitter.com/...0511011841?s=20

With how uncompetitive the roster looks, it would be a massive dick move to not let Long go to the Premier League.

It's one thing if we're a player away from a title and need Long to get there, but that's not the case.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

With how uncompetitive the roster looks, it would be a massive dick move to not let Long go to the Premier League.

It's one thing if we're a player away from a title and need Long to get there, but that's not the case.

Long should only leave if rbny gets a reasonable Transfer price.

I think the D will be solid. The big question will be if white can replicate last season's production.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Imagine what the 18 would look like if both Taxi and Long were gone by Opening Weekend:

Jorgen$en

Royer Kaku Sims

Rza Casseres

Duncan Tarek Parker Buck 

Meara

McIntosh Nealis Tolkin Valot Muyl Davis White

Yo, what the motherfuck. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Imagine what the 18 would look like if both Taxi and Long were gone by Opening Weekend:

Jorgen$en

Royer Kaku Sims

Rza Casseres

Duncan Tarek Parker Buck 

Meara

McIntosh Nealis Tolkin Valot Muyl Davis White

Yo, what the motherfuck. 

They're gonna spin keeping Long and Taxi to be the same as if we brought them on as new players.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro
We definitely have a chance to win the USL with this roster.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Long should only leave if rbny gets a reasonable Transfer price.

I think the D will be solid. The big question will be if white can replicate last season's production.

$5 million is reasonable for a 27-year-old CB who has never played above MLS.

The big question re: White is easy to answer: no. He will not score on 75% of his shots on target again.

If they don't sell Long and spend 8 figures to supplement the roster, that's fine. Holding on to Long and doing less than that to upgrade would be really poor club management. I'd be surprised if Long's performances didn't crater in that scenario.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I could see them turning down the loan because if he goes there & doesn't get to play much or impress, then his $4-5M valuation goes down, but ideally they could just work out a straight sale & let him go. As mentioned above, it's obvious we're not competing for a title & keeping him here isn't the right move for the player.  If this rumor is indeed true, I would hope it is just them being coy to try to get the price they want & they'll complete the deal in this window.

That we would sell Adams, Miazga & others but not Long seems strange, especially in a system that prizes youth to do the running with a player who is late 20s and obviously getting no younger. In earlier years, we were competing for a title, yet still sold young players when the time was right. Seems like the time was right a year ago, and for a club that would rather move on a year too soon rather than a year too late, this one is a bit strange. The only thing that makes sense is that we don't feel like we have a capable backup, that Nealis & others are still a year or so away from being legit starters. 

Though, I'm also assuming that Dennis & Co. have an actual plan here and- haha- I'm an idiot for assuming that. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

$5 million is reasonable for a 27-year-old CB who has never played above MLS.

The big question re: White is easy to answer: no. He will not score on 75% of his shots on target again.

If they don't sell Long and spend 8 figures to supplement the roster, that's fine. Holding on to Long and doing less than that to upgrade would be really poor club management. I'd be surprised if Long's performances didn't crater in that scenario.

5m for long? No way. He is a USMNT starting CB and can play in the premier league. He is at least worth 9 -12m. 5m would be reasonable if he was 29.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Sell dont Loan at this point

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

5m for long? No way. He is a USMNT starting CB and can play in the premier league. He is at least worth 9 -12m. 5m would be reasonable if he was 29.

Not too much of a difference between 27 and 29 when it comes to the transfer fee, they're both past the age where you'd expect to be able to flip the player down the line. Long would have to absolutely kill it his first season to garner enough interest from higher table EPL teams for West Ham to ever make a profit on him. I think they can squeeze $6M, I'd be really surprised to see any more than that.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I was surprised we hadn't heard more about interest in Long this winter, but with multiple teams still interested I can't see how Red Bull doesn't end up with an offer they're ultimately happy with.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

unless that option is an obligation to buy not worth it to let him go for just 500k and if it doesnt work out he comes back as a distressed asset.  I want all the money upfront, his fee isnt even that high, they can afford it.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Sell him 8-9M

It’s nothing for EPL club

No one s looking to flip a 27 yr old. Buying him to play him.

too bad they couldnt brink in Ilsanker but he has legal trouble 

tarek would be ok for a bit with Nealis

if they could get a young CM I would say convert Davis to CB. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think we saw after the TFC game where Omar and Jozy asked him what price he wants, and he mouthed "seven". so if the loan is $1m, and the summer sale is north of $5m, I think we don't see Long in an RBNY uniform this yr. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users