1271 replies to this topic

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Might have just been a coincidence, but the Red Sox playing in England might have been a little corporate synergy for the Red Sox/Liverpool owners.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,316 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the Yankees wore their home uniforms.

I did find that odd. AFAIK, the Yankees have only worn their home uniforms outside NYC when they played in Tokyo. Of course, the classic pinstripes are a selling point. (As if that was needed to sell out these games.)

Sox gave up two home games ... dumb not to alternate

Agree.

Eons ago ... the home team had a white background on their uniform, the visiting team had a grey ... background. That is not necessary any more

Tell that to color-blind fans.

Did they sing "God Bless America"?

Sweet Caroline during the eight inning. Boston tradition.
The song is also popular in the UK. Several clubs play it, including Arsenal, but not West Ham at this stadium!
https://en.m.wikiped.../Sweet_Caroline
Apparently, Neil Diamond now donates the royalties to a charity for the Boston Marathon Bombing. Nice gesture.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,316 posts

Red Sox playing in England might have been a little corporate synergy for the Red Sox/Liverpool owners.

Playing in London, at the stadium of an opponent?
May as well mention Yankees/NYCFC/ManCity.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Exactly. This was purely to do with Yanks/Sox being the biggest ticket item MLB has to offer. It had nothing to do with the clubs' ties to EPL clubs. 

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

You can tell that I did not watch the games except for a few seconds here and there. What fooled me was that the Yankees wore their home uniforms.

The Red Sox gave up two home games and were the home team and batted last. Kind of dumb not to alternate home team.

The Red Sox also wore their home uniforms. Eons ago, for purposes of black and white TV, the home team had a white background on their uniform, the visiting team had a grey (England spells it grEy, America spells it grAy) background. That is not necessary any more as black and white tvs no longer exist.

The rules did not adapt to English ways and circle the bases clockwise (going to left). Must have confused the fans.

Did the fans throw back foul balls?

Was there a scoreboard to see soccer results?

Did they sing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch? Maybe they had a Boston Tea Party instead?

I saw they had announced over the PA that foul balls and home runs could be kept.

One team giving up two home games kinda sucks, but a whole lot less than when you play 82. And if one game was a Yankees home game and the other a Red Sox home game, you'd have to play two weird two-game series. This way, you just play one four-game series in Boston. Four-game series aren't supper common, but they happen a whole lot more often than two-game series.

Personally, I'm more concerned British fans think a typical game ends with 30 runs total...

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Those same owners are having Liverpool play in NYC, at the stadium of the Red Sox' biggest rival, so I doubt that having the Red Sox play in West Ham's stadium would be that big a deal to them.  They might have actually preferred playing in London to using Anfield for a baseball game.

https://www.mlb.com/...s/events/soccer

I think there's a lot of resistance among owners to playing these overseas games. It's possible that the Red Sox' (and maybe the Yankees') owners were more willing to do it because of their involvement with the EPL.  Although  the Yankees - Red Sox prominence was obviously a big factor.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Those same owners are having Liverpool play in NYC, at the stadium of the Red Sox' biggest rival, so I doubt that having the Red Sox play in West Ham's stadium would be that big a deal to them.  They might have actually preferred playing in London to using Anfield for a baseball game.
https://www.mlb.com/...s/events/soccer

I think there's a lot of resistance among owners to playing these overseas games. It's possible that the Red Sox' (and maybe the Yankees') owners were more willing to do it because of their involvement with the EPL.  Although  the Yankees - Red Sox prominence was obviously a big factor.

Theres probably a lot of resistance when MLB plays on the other side of the world i.e. Japan and Australia. Im not sure theres that same resistance if were talking about London. Id venture to guess Yankee and Red Sox ownership view that as a more desirable opportunity - huge, affluent market thats not much longer than a flight to the West Coast away to further grow your brand and the sport.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Theres probably a lot of resistance when MLB plays on the other side of the world i.e. Japan and Australia. Im not sure theres that same resistance if were talking about London. Id venture to guess Yankee and Red Sox ownership view that as a more desirable opportunity - huge, affluent market thats not much longer than a flight to the West Coast away to further grow your brand and the sport.

The Yankees brand is already huge overseas, even though no one in Europe gives a shit about them.

Aaron Judge told a story about how he saw someone at the London Eye wearing a Yankees hat, went to introduce himself, and they didn't have a clue who he was.

Euro tourists love that interlocking NY.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

The Yankees brand is already huge overseas, even though no one in Europe gives a shit about them.

Aaron Judge told a story about how he saw someone at the London Eye wearing a Yankees hat, went to introduce himself, and they didn't have a clue who he was.

It is already huge, but that doesn't mean there's not room for further growth. 

A Yankee hat is probably the most worn hat in the world. If you were to scan the crowd of virtually any televised EPL match, you will likely see at least 1 Yankee hat, regardless of which city/stadium.  

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,316 posts

The Yankees brand is already huge overseas ...

No love for the Mets interlocking NY.
Only people wearing/knowing it, are Mets fans.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Absolutely true about Yankees hat, most people I've encountered in Europe with it don't even know what Yankees are, it's just a fashion brand to them as I'm not sure they know it stands for new york. Kinda hilarious but not surprising, it's like me knowing some purse is expensive and popular without knowing what brand it is or what the letters on it stand for.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,316 posts

in Europe ... Yankees are ... just a fashion brand

I tell people that the logo mean York News.

knowing some purse is expensive and popular without knowing what brand it is or what the letters on it stand for.

My daughter worked at a Coach store in its heyday.
Some women would hand her one credit card after another, until one cleared. They were like crack addicts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users