29 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I doubt any team worldwide has 150 full time scouts, but sure, it would be nice if all the people in the football universe were working towards finding gems for NYRB.

Jokes aside, we pretty much do have 150 full time scouts. On top of the people RBNY have hired, we pretty much have the entire Red Bull network at our disposal. I imagine that Leipzig and Salzburg have endless lists of players who aren't good enough for them but could be quality MLS players. I'd bet some serious money that this is how we found Royer.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Jokes aside, we pretty much do have 150 full time scouts. On top of the people RBNY have hired, we pretty much have the entire Red Bull network at our disposal. I imagine that Leipzig and Salzburg have endless lists of players who aren't good enough for them but could be quality MLS players. I'd bet some serious money that this is how we found Royer.

Right. Synergy for the win, and I swear I'm not being sarcastic. Royer has been a great find. Gulbrandsen/Damari are other examples that could have worked out better if those guys wanted to be here or our system was a better fit/more flexible or Marsch gave them a genuine shot. But that's quite different from 100+ people scouring a bunch of countries on full-time salaries, by probably an order of magnitude.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Right. Synergy for the win, and I swear I'm not being sarcastic. Royer has been a gread find. Gulbrandsen/Damari are other examples that could have worked out better if those guys wanted to be here or our system was a better fit/more flexible or Marsch gave them a genuine shot. But that's quite different from 100+ people scouring a bunch of countries on full-time salaries, by probably an order of magnitude.

I loved Gulbrandsen's work rate.  Shame it didn't work out with him.  

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I imagine that Leipzig and Salzburg have endless lists of players who aren't good enough for them but could be quality MLS players.

Why would they be compiling a list of players that arent good enough for them???

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Why would they be compiling a list of players that arent good enough for them???

Because they don't know that ahead of time.  If you're Red Bull Salzburg, you're going to have a fuckload of information on players in your league. Both for transfer reasons as well as tactical reasons. There are also going to be many players that you're unsure of until you see them play 4-5 times, so in the mean time you're going to keep an open mind. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Because agents and scouts say "hey, take a look at this guy."  So they take a look.   Maybe he's not ready yet, or maybe he doesn't fill an immediate need, or maybe he might be able to help another RB team, so they keep an eye on him.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Because agents and scouts say "hey, take a look at this guy."  So they take a look.   Maybe he's not ready yet, or maybe he doesn't fill an immediate need, or maybe he might be able to help another RB team, so they keep an eye on him.  

If your convinced the other teams have our interests in mind when evaluating players then I suppose your right.

Im convinced they never think of us.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If your convinced the other teams have our interests in mind when evaluating players then I suppose your right.

They invite Jesse and players over, so we aren't completely out of mind, and the "might be able to help another RB team," was just part of the reason they would keep such a list.    If you're a talent evaluator, working for a big organization, you will want to score points wherever you can.    "He's not right for us, but he could help NY" costs them nothing, and gets brownie points with the boss.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

They invite Jesse and players over, so we aren't completely out of mind, and the "might be able to help another RB team," was just part of the reason they would keep such a list.    If you're a talent evaluator, working for a big organization, you will want to score points wherever you can.    "He's not right for us, but he could help NY" costs them nothing, and gets brownie points with the boss.

Unless the boss doesnt give a flying fick about us ;)

No, I see what youre saying. Good point.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Ignoring us would be an unbelievably dumb thing for them to do, because in many ways we return the favor as far as networking. We effectively serve as their scouting arm for the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. If Leipzig had been a CL team when Miazga was being sold, then he very well may have ended up there. We'll see what happens with Tyler Adams. But we serve as a massive information and resource haven for them, and that only works if the dialogue is two ways.

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Ignoring us would be an unbelievably dumb thing for them to do, because in many ways we return the favor as far as networking. We effectively serve as their scouting arm for the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, etc. If Leipzig had been a CL team when Miazga was being sold, then he very well may have ended up there. We'll see what happens with Tyler Adams. But we serve as a massive information and resource haven for them, and that only works if the dialogue is two ways.

This is a lot of speculation and misplaced hope if you ask me. You really think Miazga would have gone to Salzburg? Don't you think running a soccer team is enough work already? I find it hard to believe the other teams would be doing extra work on our behalf. Remember that Red Bull has owned the team for a good 10 years, and Dieter has still never graced us with his presence.

Unless the boss doesnt give a flying fick about us ;)

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

This is a lot of speculation and misplaced hope if you ask me. You really think Miazga would have gone to Salzburg? Don't you think running a soccer team is enough work already? I find it hard to believe the other teams would be doing extra work on our behalf. Remember that Red Bull has owned the team for a good 10 years, and Dieter has still never graced us with his presence.

I think there's a decent chance he would have gone to Leipzig, not Salzburg. Dyer has openly speculated about Tyler Adams going to one of them. And it's not just about our system. If one of those teams is interested in Kellyn Acosta, we're going to be a big help to them. If there's a 16-year-old playing for a youth academy in the US with interest in Europe, we're going to be a big help. And so on. It's not Leipzig and Salzburg doing us favors out of the goodness in their hearts. It's networking. We help them, and they help us. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Red Bull has owned the team for a good 10 years, and Dieter has still never graced us with his presence. 

Does he visit RBS? RBL?
Does he ever visit the USA? New York?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Does he visit RBS? RBL?
Does he ever visit the USA? New York?

Probably cant figure out how Path works.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Royer was a good find and I feel that's kind of how we got BWP..
But I don't think there is much time invested in looking for players in South America and Central America or Africa or Asia...

I feel like maybe a total of 150 scouts are are on the payroll spread out among all of the clubs not just NY... And each club plays in different style leagues..

What Leipzig might need is far different than what NY need and they aren't going to be looking for what NY need... So NY team is left sifting through data Leipzig collected and it's guys new York doesn't need or aren't looking for or can't afford..

I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users