367 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Would be absolutely awful if it happens. RB speaks a lot about commitment to the academy and growth through USL to the first team... Would Tyler Adams be where he is now without a season in the USL first? Last year, it was used to transform Aaron Long from a middling midfielder to a defensive starter. Ugh.

Since nobody is going to the games at Montclair is there any chance of them moving the games back to Red Bull Arena? I wonder if it would be cheaper just to keep the lights on for a few extra hours and move people to a few sections so they can send the majority of the workers and security home like they had been doing last year.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i'd love the for the games to be back at RBA, it would mean that I'd attend a few more games, and the heckling of the other team would reverberate off the roof. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

i'd love the for the games to be back at RBA, it would mean that I'd attend a few more games, and the heckling of the other team would reverberate off the roof. 

Same, I know not a lot of people stayed but they are only averaging like 650 people a game at Montclair, which is the worst in the USL so the crowds are basically the same if not even a bit worse. I stayed for a bunch of the games last year but I really can't justify going to Montclair to watch them.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,901 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I live in Manhattan off the 6th Ave line of the PATH. it's either RBA to watch live or youtube. i'm never going to MSU. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

San Jose and Houston hybrid model are working very well (Sporting decisions are made by MLS team including coach/players while business decisions are being made by USL club team owner).
Could see this coming from a mile away. Very low attendance and a hybrid model that works much better for both parties. Expect more of that for the near future.

As long as they use the same training facility, so the USL players train near the MLS squad, than the hybrid model is cool.  Does RB even care about RBNY2 attendance?  How much money is there to be made in owning a USL soccer team anyway?

Is there more value in a USL that draws 5000 per game or one that generates a $5M sale of a player like Miazga and develops young (inexpensive) players for the first team?  Hybrid model sounds like it solves both.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • Supports:Metro
The intentions of B squads and regular teams arent the same. B squads exist to feed their parent clubs. Most traditional teams either have MLS aspirations (like FCC) or service smaller markets and are the primary draw there. If we ever had pro/rep what would the B sides do? It was always a weird mix.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The intentions of B squads and regular teams arent the same. B squads exist to feed their parent clubs. Most traditional teams either have MLS aspirations (like FCC) or service smaller markets and are the primary draw there. If we ever had pro/rep what would the B sides do? It was always a weird mix.

If this is true, then youth development scheme was used to kill off nasl. If mls teams try to pull this off then US federation needs to keep nasl alive by giving them div 2 status.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

If we had pro/rel, we'd do the same thing they do in Spain and Germany: II/B teams can't be in the same division as their parent clubs.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users