Is 2019 season a hangover for winning Supporters' Shield?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: is 2019 season Supporter's shield hangover (34 member(s) have cast votes)

is 2019 season Supporter's shield hangover

1. yes (8 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. no (15 votes [44.12%])

Percentage of vote: 44.12%

3. too early to say (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

The team seems not to be lacking the attacking style  or defensive skill that made 2018 an exceptional year. The game last night showed how we couldn't possess the ball confidently in the final third. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Team is lacking chemistry and heart. Kaku does a lot of things well with the ball and getting into space, but his passing was abysmal yesterday.

1998: Conference Semifinals
1999: 7-25.

2008: MLS Cup Final
2009: Worst season in club history.

2018: Supporters Shield/Best MLS Point total ever
2019: 1-1-3 start
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

if you sort this by pass accuracy you will want to peel your eyes link

we are 5 percentage points worse than the next worst team in the league in passing.  We are really sloppy with the ball this season

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I think the biggest problem is not a "hangover" but simply a lack of talent.  This team, as presently constructed, is mid-table at best and may struggle to make the playoffs.  Adams is gone, BWP is a year older, and Kaku is not as good as we were hoping he would be.  Lawrence, Parker and Long are standouts, but otherwise it's a roster of nice, complementary players and no real difference makers.

We have more "decent" wingers than any team in the league but don't have one center midfielder that can break down a defense with a dribble or pass.

The team needs to sign one or two players that are significant upgrades.  Players on the level with Piatti or Almiron.  Whether Red Bull is willing to do that is another story.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
For some reason, MF is coming up Not Secure on my phone. Not sure if that is the website, or the fanbase.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

if you sort this by pass accuracy you will want to peel your eyes link

we are 5 percentage points worse than the next worst team in the league in passing.  We are really sloppy with the ball this season

Best post in a long time.  Can't hide from this statistic.!

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Has there been a more depressing start to the season in recent years than this one?

Everywhere you look there are fires, on and off the field:

1) PATH construction makes attending games harder for fans

2) Tarped off sections

3) More pitiful than usual attendance (think 7-8k crowds on average), with a bullshitter GM pretending it's ok

4) An offensive setup that fails to score goals, anchored by a whiny flop playmaker in Kaku who seems to have one foot out the door

5) A defense that appears to have checked out after getting contract extensions and raises

6) A rah-rah coach that likes to blow smoke up everyone's asses

7) A third DP slot that remains unused, with fans crying out for quality signings and the club flat-out ignoring them

8) No help on the way

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Has there been a more depressing start to the season in recent years than this one?

Everywhere you look there are fires, on and off the field:

1) PATH construction makes attending games harder for fans

2) Tarped off sections

3) More pitiful than usual attendance (think 7-8k crowds on average), with a bullshitter GM pretending it's ok

4) An offensive setup that fails to score goals, anchored by a whiny flop playmaker in Kaku who seems to have one foot out the door

5) A defense that appears to have checked out after getting contract extensions and raises

6) A rah-rah coach that likes to blow smoke up everyone's asses

7) A third DP slot that remains unused, with fans crying out for quality signings and the club flat-out ignoring them

8) No help on the way

Team is sponsored by Covanta. You know what Covanta does? They burn garbage. Our team is literally sponsored by a dumpster fire.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

This season will rival 2009 and 1999. I just feel it. Get ready to take our licks. Maybe DeGrandpre and the whole bunch will be fired then and we can start off the next decade right.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
It shouldn't even be considered a hangover since we got absolutely embarrassed in the playoffs against Atlanta.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

It shouldn't even be considered a hangover since we got absolutely embarrassed in the playoffs against Atlanta.

This. If there's a hangover effect on team chemistry and players' mentality, it's from coulda shouldas in the playoffs and last year's CCL. I'm still annoyed by Marsch not starting Kaku in the 2nd leg v Chivas. Unfulfilled expectations can be a vibe killer if they can't refocus on the campaign(s) in front of them.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I liked the three seasons that we won the Supporters Shield. I know that puts me in a tiny minority though.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I liked the three seasons that we won the Supporters Shield. I know that puts me in a tiny minority though.

Everybody loves those seasons, but we're not going to make the playoffs the way we're playing let alone the shield.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

In 2016, Seattle lost Obafemi Martins to start the year, lost Dempsey halfway through the year, started the season going 6-12-2, and came back to win MLS cup. Last year they were 3-8-2 after a loss to us, and a fight in the locker room turned the season around: https://www.soundera...cker-room-fight  .  They finished 18-11-5, going 15-3-3 the rest of the way.

So, shitty as it looks for us right now, I think it's still way too early to throw this season away. That said, we are playing like shit. And, that Seattle season (and most Seattle seasons) are the exceptions, not the rule.  Many teams started playing like shit, stayed shit, and ended with shitty years.  I don't think we're winning MLS cup this year, but there is still the ability to turn this around. 

Maybe a locker room fight is needed to get everyone out of their funk. Maybe a week where they play all of the kids & tell the senior guys on larger contracts that the MNT callups and what not can all go quickly away if everyone doesn't snap the fuck out of it. I don't honestly know. Maybe this is the year where we have to pay our bills & eat all of our vegetables to make up for the last few years when things were going well. Losing your coach mid-season, I think maybe last year the team was able to rally around themselves & pull off a good second half. Plus, Tyler covered up for a lot of mistakes & turnovers by being an unreal recovery robot. Now, losing Tyler, then starting off this season with the Kaku drama, bunch of new contracts keeping people content instead of hungry, losing Valot whose spark we needed for the offense, Armas maybe being a piano mover not a piano player...the combination of all of this is too much for us right now.

There needs to be some event to turn this around, or else the season is fucked. Not sure firing the coach & bringing in TH14 is that answer, but we'll see. 

NE was a bad loss, but it was also a 0-0 game if Robles makes a stop he makes most of the time. Also, it follows a 2-2 tie on the road in a tough place to play. I know it looks like shit right now, but to me next week is the real test of how fucked we are. If we can't beat Cincinnati at home...time to put a call into Seattle for some tips. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

and Zlatan visits the week after.

we've been needing results for some weeks. i do think there are internal locker room issues that need fixing. if those are resolved, and a certain level of "normalcy" returns to the locker room, i think it's possible that the team's performance could pick up enough that those terrible losses or inexplicable draws will start to go our way and become welcome draws and solid workman-like wins. 

i honestly believe that if the next coach (whoever it is) can settle the internal strife, we are good to go and hopefully can pull off a Seattle where things click. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users