39 replies to this topic

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Rochester Rhinos, USMNT
Mr 1000.. he was fun to watch in him prime, that's for sure.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Saw this coming a mile away. Hopeful for a complete recovery but not optimistic.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

This news doesn't change what we need, Grella needed to be replaced regardless.

yes and no.  We all knew he needed to be replaced in the starting lineup, but now if Veron goes too, we dont even have winger bench options that are not fullbacks or CMs playing out of position basically 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
This sucks. A true fan favorite who has dipped in form because of injuries. Hope this isn't the last we see of him but I think he's gone. We need to revamp our entire lineup. New players all around. Defense and Midfield to be more specific and please no more Salzburg and Leipzig leftovers or Rainbow FC "players"

LONG LIVE METRO

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
Gonna have to wear my Grelladinho shirt to some upcoming matches

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Very sad. 

You knew what you were going to get from Sacha, Felipe and Dax last year, so what Grella was able to provide was icing on the cake. This is why they're not getting consistent production in midfield this season.

Get well soon. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

His time here has to be done, right?

He's one of my favorite players to watch since I started following MLS, so it kills me to say it but his time at this league is probably done.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Came in with little to no expectations in 2015 and played with zero fear.  Gave his all and took the bull by the horn, so to speak, that first season.  League figured him out a little by the postseason that year, that combined with his injuries and age, and we've been watching a very different Grella recently.  He's cheap enough that he's worth taking a flyer on to keep as depth, but I don't think you can count on him at this point.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Sad for this guy. Good dude, plays with chutzpah, and was fun to watch. 

Hope he's back and ready for next season, hopefully with a new coach and system.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

On Seeing Red Dyer said Grella was in the facility and Marsch thought there was a possibility he could come back before the end of the season.  I can see it now, Royer never recovers, Keita never gets fully fit, and come the postseason we get the Muyl-Grella combo that was so awesome against Montreal in the 2016 playoffs...

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Grella when he's healthy is an asset.  This year clearly wasnt healthy and that's the reason he had the surgery.

He'd be a nice little wildcard off the bench in some of these games where we need a goal. He fits this formation perfectly and has a style that is unlike any of our players.  Can cause plays out of nothing at times.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Grella when he's healthy is an asset.  This year clearly wasnt healthy and that's the reason he had the surgery.

He'd be a nice little wildcard off the bench in some of these games where we need a goal. He fits this formation perfectly and has a style that is unlike any of our players.  Can cause plays out of nothing at times.

He was healthy in the 2015 and 2016 postseasons.  Watch his highlight reel from his first season.  There is some incredible stuff there, but watch how almost every time Grella breaks a defender's ankle, that defender moving towards Mike, challenging him for the ball.  Then go watch how people defended him in his postseason appearances or this season.  They play off him, they give him a few feet of space.  They know he can't blow by them and they know he's not a playmaker, so his passing won't hurt them.  He was great when defenders didn't respect him and was was significantly less great when they did.

He was hurt this season, but smart teams have shown they know what todo even against a healthy Grella.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Grella was a good player for two seasons.  You think too lowly of other teams' intelligence if you truly believe it took them that long to figure him out.   The guy was playing hurt, that's all.  He struggled in the playoffs but there are better players than Grella on this team who struggled in the playoffs.

I get not liking Muyl but I'm not willing to throw dirt on a guy who was a good player for this team over a couple of seasons when he was healthy.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Grella was a good player for two seasons.  You think too lowly of other teams' intelligence if you truly believe it took them that long to figure him out.   The guy was playing hurt, that's all.  He struggled in the playoffs but there are better players than Grella on this team who struggled in the playoffs.

I get not liking Muyl but I'm not willing to throw dirt on a guy who was a good player for this team over a couple of seasons when he was healthy.

2015 - 33 games, 30 starts, 9 goals, 7 assists

2016 - 32 games, 28 starts, 7 goals, 6 assists

Postseason totals - 6 games, 5 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists

He was a scorer of spectacular goals, but I'm not sure he was as productive as people want to think he was.  I'm not against him coming back, I just don't trust Marsch when Grella's an option.  Marsch, like he has with Muyl, has a comfortability with Grella and looks to play him over guys like Veron and Etienne even when his production has dropped to nothing.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,847 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We've had this convo before...

300px-JoelLindpere.jpg

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users