• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Not a fair comparison as your argument completely ignores wages. Robbie Keane wasn't worth having at a DP salary and I'm sure he didn't need or want to play for  another year or two at 100-200k. But I'd love to have Robbie Keane poaching in the box for 10-15 minutes a game at 100k. We all loved Henry at 37 and everyone thought he could play another year or two for sure, didn't we? (Sure, maybe not in Marsch's high pressing approach, but that's another matter.)

Now if your only/main quality was speed and you lost it, that's a different story entirely (SWP).

Sorry, just disagree.  There are some physical qualities that Allen has to have considering his skill level on the ball and he doesn't have them for the next level.  

Same concept in every other sport where there is a good player in college but the skills don't translate to the pro level. 

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The fact that he can't get on the field for an awful expansion team seems to indicate that he's not that good.

That is irrelevant.

In order to be succesful, u need to play in a system that brings out the best in you.

Minn is terrible. I dont think u will argue that point. In order for allen to be succesful, he needs to be fed the ball. He is not going to get that in minn. The supporting cast is terrible.

A good example is dax. He was awful in DC because he was asked to be a number "10". Dax is a good player but if you depend on him creating chances then you are in trouble. Ppl have roles that they can execute well. But if u try to force a player into a role that he is not good in then you will have issues.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

That is irrelevant.

In order to be succesful, u need to play in a system that brings out the best in you.

Minn is terrible. I dont think u will argue that point. In order for allen to be succesful, he needs to be fed the ball. He is not going to get that in minn. The supporting cast is terrible.

A good example is dax. He was awful in DC because he was asked to be a number "10". Dax is a good player but if you depend on him creating chances then you are in trouble. Ppl have roles that they can execute well. But if u try to force a player into a role that he is not good in then you will have issues.

sorry to say but something must be up if MN wanted him but now he is there and he can't get minutes.  Maybe it is the way MN is set up.

I do wish the guy well as he a NYRB product and clearly has skill/ability.  It will be interesting to see what happens this off season.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

That is irrelevant.

Yeah, I don't know what to say.  I just don't think he's a good MLS quality player.  I've said that for a while now.   He can pass for a big man, I'll give him that. He has zero speed, not good in the air, and he doesn't have an amazing shot.  The CB's will eat him up at this level where the CB's aren't as good at the USL level.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The CB's will eat him up at this level where the CB's aren't as good at the USL level.  

Yea, it always looked like he needed a lot of time on the ball before he got a shot off.  You could see that being ok in a league where Aaron Long was the defender of the year, but not ok in MLS where, although I think Long has been fine this season, he's not winning any awards.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Sorry, just disagree.  There are some physical qualities that Allen has to have considering his skill level on the ball and he doesn't have them for the next level.  

Same concept in every other sport where there is a good player in college but the skills don't translate to the pro level. 

I don't really know enough about Allen so I'm happy to defer to your/others' opinion there. I was just objecting to the Robbie Keane example, which I thought was irrelevant to the Allen discussion as it completely ignored the financial aspect of why Keane was "not worth having" anymore.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yea, it always looked like he needed a lot of time on the ball before he got a shot off.  You could see that being ok in a league where Aaron Long was the defender of the year, but not ok in MLS where, although I think Long has been fine this season, he's not winning any awards.

How dare you deface the illustrious "MLS Team of the Week" award that Long's won like 5 times already

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

How dare you deface the illustrious "MLS Team of the Week" award that Long's won like 5 times already

Ha ha.  Has he made the Team of the Week that often this season?

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Ha ha.  Has he made the Team of the Week that often this season?

He actually has a few times, I found three weeks at a glance.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Yeah, I don't know what to say.  I just don't think he's a good MLS quality player.  I've said that for a while now.   He can pass for a big man, I'll give him that. He has zero speed, not good in the air, and he doesn't have an amazing shot.  The CB's will eat him up at this level where the CB's aren't as good at the USL level.  

I expect him to be like a steven lenhart or alan gordon type of forward in MLS. If he can find that niche in MLS he will be a good role player.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

I expect him to be like a steven lenhart or alan gordon type of forward in MLS. If he can find that niche in MLS he will be a good role player.

Gordon has a few inches on Allen and is waaaay better in the air.  Allen might end up being a Lenhart level player and that could be the problem.  I don't think prime Lenhart would much of a chance to play in today's MLS.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Reading some of these posts makes me realize why so many no longer post here.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users