• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Muyl is a better wingback than attacking player.

Whether Adams wants to be a 6 or 8, he wants to play centrally, not as fullback or wingback.

Veron doesn't do great when he needs as the second forward or as a 10, but as winger, when all he needs to do is run, cross, take guys on 1v1, press, he's fine. He's had more success as a line forward, but he's better than the Muyl, Grella, etc. at wing right now.

Again, I just hate Muyl defensively.  And pretty much offensively so I'm hard pressed to say he's good at anything outside of hustle.  Hoping he develops better touch going forward and hopefully better instincts defensively.  He's not very athletic despite the hustle so he'll need those qualities.

And why even bring up Grella when he's not a factor?  I know you're not a fan but there are no more worries about him playing this season.  And when Royer is healthy, Muyl won't even be worth discussing.

Overall, there is no winger position in this formation outside of the wing backs.  The only guys running into a lot of 1v1 situations are Adams and Muyl when Muyl plays there.  The old wing positions are pushed too far inside to have that happen nearly as much.   The other thing is that Veron's confidence right now is as high as it's ever been.  You trot him out there at one of those offensive mid positions and he doesn't do well, that confidence drops.  And in the playoffs, we need him in his current role.  Not as an offensive mid spot.  Davis and Royer will be at those positions and they should be.

rhactl7

rhactl7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I would actually like to see this...

--------------BWP

Davis------Sacha-------Royer

---------Adams-Felipe

Kemar-Long-Escobar-Murilo

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

I would actually like to see this...

--------------BWP

Davis------Sacha-------Royer

---------Adams-Felipe

Kemar-Long-Escobar-Murilo

maybe except Royer is hurt and Davis suspended.  But I say stay with the 3331

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Again, I just hate Muyl defensively.  And pretty much offensively so I'm hard pressed to say he's good at anything outside of hustle.  Hoping he develops better touch going forward and hopefully better instincts defensively.  He's not very athletic despite the hustle so he'll need those qualities.

And why even bring up Grella when he's not a factor?  I know you're not a fan but there are no more worries about him playing this season.  And when Royer is healthy, Muyl won't even be worth discussing.

Overall, there is no winger position in this formation outside of the wing backs.  The only guys running into a lot of 1v1 situations are Adams and Muyl when Muyl plays there.  The old wing positions are pushed too far inside to have that happen nearly as much.   The other thing is that Veron's confidence right now is as high as it's ever been.  You trot him out there at one of those offensive mid positions and he doesn't do well, that confidence drops.  And in the playoffs, we need him in his current role.  Not as an offensive mid spot.  Davis and Royer will be at those positions and they should be.

There are no true wingers in this formation, but two of the four attacking players are wide-ish.  You can hate Muyl all you want as a defender, but he's motor is ridiculous and he causes havoc with his pressure.  Hasn't been doing him much good as an attacker, but as a wingback, he was solid.

When Royer comes back, yes these are all moot points.  We don't know when that will be though.  Will it be in time for the Open Cup Final?  If not I'd like to see some formations that don't have Muyl in an attacking role.  If that means playing Veron wide, in a spot he prefers less to striker, but probably more than the bench, I'm cool with that.

And I only brought up Grella because his situation was similar to what we're seeing now with Muyl.  We saw Grella be incredibly ineffective this season and just keep getting start after start.  We're seeing the same with Muyl now.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

There are no true wingers in this formation, but two of the four attacking players are wide-ish.  You can hate Muyl all you want as a defender, but he's motor is ridiculous and he causes havoc with his pressure.  Hasn't been doing him much good as an attacker, but as a wingback, he was solid.

When Royer comes back, yes these are all moot points.  We don't know when that will be though.  Will it be in time for the Open Cup Final?  If not I'd like to see some formations that don't have Muyl in an attacking role.  If that means playing Veron wide, in a spot he prefers less to striker, but probably more than the bench, I'm cool with that.

And I only brought up Grella because his situation was similar to what we're seeing now with Muyl.  We saw Grella be incredibly ineffective this season and just keep getting start after start.  We're seeing the same with Muyl now.

Grella earned the chance to reclaim that spot given his last two seasons.  The injury just did him in.  

Muyl hasn't earned that. And while he hustles defensively, he anticipates nothing.  Just blindly chasing can occasionally cause a turnover but it's not enough.  

Hopefully Royer is back by the Cup final.  I think Marsch was quoted today saying he'd be available for this weeks game which definitely puts him on pace to ready for that game.  Perhaps not starting but definitely off the bench unless there are any setbacks.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Grella earned the chance to reclaim that spot given his last two seasons.  The injury just did him in.  

Muyl hasn't earned that. And while he hustles defensively, he anticipates nothing.  Just blindly chasing can occasionally cause a turnover but it's not enough.  

Hopefully Royer is back by the Cup final.  I think Marsch was quoted today saying he'd be available for this weeks game which definitely puts him on pace to ready for that game.  Perhaps not starting but definitely off the bench unless there are any setbacks.  

Agree to disagree.  I hope Royer is back for the Cup too.  Marsch has often been wrong about when guys would be back and ready from injury (see Grella 2017), so I'll believe Royer will be ready when I see him on the pitch in KC.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Agree to disagree.  I hope Royer is back for the Cup too.  Marsch has often been wrong about when guys would be back and ready from injury (see Grella 2017), so I'll believe Royer will be ready when I see him on the pitch in KC.

With those things, the coach is just going off of the med staff.  Always hate when Mets fans give Terry Collins crap for that stuff but the med staff is the issue. 

Belichick was one of the few guys who was smart enough to just stop telling the media anything partly so they couldn't blame him for when other people mess up.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

With those things, the coach is just going off of the med staff.  Always hate when Mets fans give Terry Collins crap for that stuff but the med staff is the issue. 

Belichick was one of the few guys who was smart enough to just stop telling the media anything partly so they couldn't blame him for when other people mess up.

Not putting it on Marsch, but his info is not always right.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Not putting it on Marsch.

Yep.  On that note the med staff is screwing up some.  Messed up with Grella, and now I think messing up with Collin.  Dude is dealing with Plantar Fasciitis.  Just give him another month off and MAYBE he has a shot.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Yep.  On that note the med staff is screwing up some.  Messed up with Grella, and now I think messing up with Collin.  Dude is dealing with Plantar Fasciitis.  Just give him another month off and MAYBE he has a shot.

Although Marsch should have seen what was going on with Mike at some point.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I would love to see

Taxi-------------------------Adams
-----Long-Escobar Murillo

but there is no way in hell Marsch plays Escobar as the anchor to the backline.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Which isn't too crazy considering he's the newest to the team, communication is most important at that spot. Barring injuries that's really Collin's spot though.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,621 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I would love to see

Taxi-------------------------Adams
-----Long-Escobar Murillo

Why not?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Which isn't too crazy considering he's the newest to the team, communication is most important at that spot. Barring injuries that's really Collin's spot though.

Collin?  Who is Collin????  Is he still with the team?  I thought he went into the clothing business.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,847 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

seems like when he's available, Escobar's anchoring the backline. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users