120 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

lose the play-in game, then you have zero chance of winning the next series.

Now, THIS is the kind of insight that keeps me coming here!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Now, THIS is the kind of insight that keeps me coming here!

Like you, I was being sarcastic because some people were acting like seeding and having to play the play-in game don't really matter.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I agree with you both, but on the bright side, the Jets are away at 4 and the Giants don't play until Monday night. So, hopefully it doesn't detract from attendance much.

And on the even brighter side, the entire Jets fan base has no reason to actually watch the team this year.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,833 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

my weekends are pretty much free with the NFL and College team being bad!

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Like you, I was being sarcastic

Sarcasm is the kind of comment that keeps me coming here!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team

You can't make comparisons between the road and home.  And clearly ya, if we drop points at home we're going to be in trouble, but we won't be dropping enough for it to matter.

We are making the playoffs, it's just a question of seed.  And to be honest, I'm not so sure that seeding matters much in this league.  I've bothered caring about it before and it's meant absolute shit.  Just make it and get hot.  That's all these playoffs are about.  Not even much about being good.

Exactly. So many times, home field advantage has meant Jack Squat in this league, so I don't worry about it. It's all pretty much random anyway. In a sport like soccer with low scores and high referee input into the results, it is hard to run a playoff system that accurately reflects the quality of the team's. There have been many seasons where the 5th or 6th best team were the champs.
Loyal supporter of the 2013 and 2015 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro
RBNY II aka "The Baby Bulls" are the 2016 USL Cup Champions!

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Exactly. So many times, home field advantage has meant Jack Squat in this league, so I don't worry about it. It's all pretty much random anyway. In a sport like soccer with low scores and high referee input into the results, it is hard to run a playoff system that accurately reflects the quality of the team's. There have been many seasons where the 5th or 6th best team were the champs.

In the playoffs last year, the home team won roughly 70% (12 out of 17) of the matches, including 3 of the 4 play-in games.  The five matches the visiting team won were: Montreal over DC (play-in game), Montreal over RB, Toronto over NYCFC, Seattle over Colorado, and Seattle over Toronto (MLS Cup).  Seattle over Toronto in MLS Cup illustrates the point you were making above, but in general it's MUCH better to play at home.  That's why we need to finish fourth so we host the play-in game.  I agree after that, there isn't a real advantage to playing the home game in the first or second leg.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

In the playoffs last year, the home team won roughly 70% (12 out of 17) of the matches, including 3 of the 4 play-in games.  The five matches the visiting team won were: Montreal over DC (play-in game), Montreal over RB, Toronto over NYCFC, Seattle over Colorado, and Seattle over Toronto (MLS Cup).  Seattle over Toronto in MLS Cup illustrates the point you were making above, but in general it's MUCH better to play at home.  That's why we need to finish fourth so we host the play-in game.  I agree after that, there isn't a real advantage to playing the home game in the first or second leg.

You're stressing the importance of being at home but aren't you also advocating sitting people for the Philly game?

Last year, 3 of the 4 teams who won the play-in game went on to win against the 1 and 2 seeds.  And the one team who won took a freak shootout to win their game.  Perfect scenario is probably being the 3 or 4 seed as opposed to the 1 or 2 seed so hopefully we don't win too much.  Personally think we are gonna end up with one of those seeds too because guys like Keita are becoming a factor and Royer is fully practicing with the team now.  Just can't bring myself to be too concerned.  

General Robles

General Robles

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo

You're stressing the importance of being at home but aren't you also advocating sitting people for the Philly game?

Last year, 3 of the 4 teams who won the play-in game went on to win against the 1 and 2 seeds.  And the one team who won took a freak shootout to win their game.  Perfect scenario is probably being the 3 or 4 seed as opposed to the 1 or 2 seed so hopefully we don't win too much.  Personally think we are gonna end up with one of those seeds too because guys like Keita are becoming a factor and Royer is fully practicing with the team now.  Just can't bring myself to be too concerned.  

3rd in the East would be ideal, in my opinion. We'd get to host the play-in game. I personally prefer to be home in the first leg of the home and home rounds, so we would have that "advantage". And 3rd in the East has a legitimate chance of having more points than the leader of the West, so it would equate to hosting MLS Cup Final, should we advance that far. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Right now, the most important game over the next 10 days or so is the Open Cup Final.  I think some the important guys that are over 30, like maybe Sacha and/or BWP, should sit against Philly (maybe come in as late subs to stay sharp) and be well rested for the SKC match.

My point about the importance of playing the play-in game at home is for everyone suggesting the results in Dallas and Chicago are ok because they're road points and seeding doesn't matter.  I know they were home, but ATL took Dallas behind the woodshed this weekend.  And when Toronto went to Chicago a few weeks ago, they came out with a decisive victory.  Marsch is strolling out the same shitty offensive lineup (really just Muyl) and making the same excuses (RB had more possession, unlucky not to score, etc.).

I actually think Marsch is a great coach.  I just don't understand how his gameplay can so aggressive and he can be comfortable with guys like Zizzo as a CB, but he gets conservative with his selection for attacking players.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,833 posts

if we end up 4th and win the play in game, we face TFC next round. we get 3rd, most likely NYCFC. 

after 2018, CCL reverts back to MLS Cup winner, USOC winner, Shield winner and best conference record (non-Shield winner). i'd still love for us to gun for East 1, even though we spend almost $20m less. 

"Metro..."

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,619 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

... Marsch is strolling out the same shitty offensive lineup (really just Muyl) and making the same excuses (RB had more possession, unlucky not to score, etc.).

I actually think Marsch is a great coach.  I just don't understand how his gameplay can so aggressive and he can be comfortable with guys like Zizzo as a CB, but he gets conservative with his selection for attacking players.

Royer is hurt.   Grella is gone.  Veron sucks at anything but BWP's spot  (Hate them on the field together - BWP drops back deeper, where he adds nothing).    Our other options have shown themselves no better than Muyl.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Royer is hurt.   Grella is gone.  Veron sucks at anything but BWP's spot  (Hate them on the field together - BWP drops back deeper, where he adds nothing).    Our other options have shown themselves no better than Muyl.

Ettiene has looked decent.  The only time he really looked bad was the Portland game when he had to drop to wingback or in the long gone 4-2-2-2.

Agree that the way Marsch uses Veron and BWP together recently isn't a good look, but he's done ok on the wing.  He was our best winger in the playoffs last year.  I get Marsch probably thinks Veron's poor defensive effort hurts the team less up top than on the wing (or whatever we're calling that spot Muyl & Davis are playing).  Muyl's offensive has been so bad though and whatever value Marsch puts into Muyl's pressing, it's not turning into scoring chances.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,833 posts

I'd say that both BWP and Veron didn't do too bad together up top against Cincy. After all, they were the only scorers in the game. 

"Metro..."

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,263 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He was our best winger in the playoffs last year.

I think we heard this one before...

http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=49575

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users