jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Anyone missing Petke still?

Anyone afraid of running out of gas later, if they take their victory lap now?

1. I honestly believe Marsch is a smarter, better coach than Petke is currently. Will he always be? Got me.

2. I honestly believe Petke cares more about this club than Marsch.

3. I honestly believe Ali Curtis treated Petke like garbage when he threw him away.

4. I honestly believe the fan outrage was justified, looking at the 7th five year plan in the last 10 years, looking at how the fan base loved Petke, and how Ali treated him. 

So, I wouldn't have fired Petke, even if Marsch is a better coach. I know that sounds crazy, but, I think Petke deserved the chance to win or lose on his own merits, and I was ok with sacrificing a season to do that. Olsen got a lot of slack after one of the worst seasons in MLS history, and his team bounced back. He continues to grow as a coach. Maybe Petke could've grown into that, who knows. 

As it is, we have a better coach now, and the results are there at the moment. Still too early to know where this season goes, and my issues are less about Marsch coaching this team in 2015 than being concerned about who we have coaching our team in 2017 when he leaves. That's irrational, but, that's what fans are.

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

of course, asshole

Henry_Krinkle

Henry_Krinkle

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Is it ok to miss Petke AND enjoy the current product on the field? And still hate the FO? Is that ok? I'm actually a little confused mentally. Maybe someone more emotionally strong than I can help out?

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Is it ok to miss Petke AND enjoy the current product on the field? And still hate the FO? Is that ok? I'm actually a little confused mentally. Maybe someone more emotionally strong than I can help out?

Totally ok. I feel the pretty much the same

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

I think commiting fan suicide is pretty dumb in most cases (mostly when you still love and care for the team) -- why the fuck would you only hurt yourself? People are in anguish over spending 12 bucks on a stub hub ticket for what? To prove some grand point by not showing up while you sit and watch on TV instead? Get a cute little date, enjoy a sunny saturday in Harrison, and watch some pretty damn good football inside the best stadium in North America. You'd have to pay me money to deprive myself of that.

I do agree that Marsch is a much better coach. I still don't think these players are really that great. And you can see the analytics show up a lot just by watching (soccer metrics love the high press with a lead, for example). They worked some sort of voodoo with Mike Grella.

Last year was 99% Thierry Henry and 1% Petke, objectively. Heck, I think Petke was a fool with how he handled/played Cahill. A better implementation of Cahill might have pushed us forward. But you still love the guy and they did stab him in the back, especially with the farce of a 1 year extension before firing him. Nice going away gift, I guess.

The only real shitty part about this is being made to look like an idiot. RB acted as if the fanbase were complete retards. Its very insulting -- its like telling your wife you dont sleep around while she is looking at  you with lipstick on your collar. They didnt fire Petke because he was a goal short of the Final -- they fired him because they didnt really think he was smart enough or willing enough to turn RB into the soccer version of the Oakland As. Thats fine, but shoot people straight.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

I think its ok. I don't hate Marsch at all. Dude know the shitty situation he stepped into and faced it head on at the open house.  What i don't like is Ali Curtis being slimey.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Winning with Petke would be more enjoyable because he is one of us. He truly cared, which is only possible because he was around before the Austrian fucks bought the club. How can anyone truly care or be proud to represent an energy drink? This is just a line on the resume for Curtis and Marsch.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

and for marsch, it'll be a good line on his resume. he is getting a lot out of team that is significantly "lower" in talent and ability than last yr's team. no complaints from me in that regard. 

none.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

and for marsch, it'll be a good line on his resume. he is getting a lot out of team that is significantly "lower" in talent and ability than last yr's team. no complaints from me in that regard. 

none.

None from me so far.

However, will our lack of talent and depth eventually be exposed?

Reminds me of the NJD run a few years back. DeBoer clearly got more out of the team than anyone expected, and they bought into the system 100%. The fast pace and aggressive back-checking wore down the opposition. They very nearly won it all, so it's possible.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Hey chucklehead, what makes you believes this shit-for-brains organization is going to keep Jesse Marsch around?

The very jackass in charge of the organization now unceremoniously dumped the best coach in MLS history.

See what I've said here. I said Marsch is a fantastic coach, unfairly overlooked (possibly because he was associated with Bob Bradley, who became persona non grata in soccer in the U.S.). But Red Bull shifts its criteria to evaluate a coach every time the wind changes direction.

You should be embarrassed to be tacitly defending Red Bull-- you're advertising your total dumbfuckery.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

bwahahahaha

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Kolbotn

Kolbotn

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Supports:Don't believe in supporting.
If you don't know that Petke was a sh!t coach then you don't know soccer. Team won despite him not because of him. Time to move on folks. JM looks good so far. At least he knows how to run a proper training session.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

If you don't know that Petke was a sh!t coach then you don't know soccer. Team won despite him not because of him. Time to move on folks. JM looks good so far. At least he knows how to run a proper training session.

What was Hans Backe? Was he better or worse than Petke? An older Henry was better at carrying a team than a younger Henry? Or there was a better team around him? 

What about my other questions; What happens if we don't win the cup this season? How many years does Marsch get to try and win a cup? Will a supporters shield and an eastern conference final exit earn him a third year?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Petke wasn't the best but he was also playing with someone else cards and learning on the job. Marsch has had years of experience. Its still very early in the year for people to be crowning him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users