29 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro
No offense to everyone on here, but there aren't many better places to live in the world than Rio de Janeiro if you have money.

Amazing weather, amazing women, great soccer tradition, and the best league in the Americas.

Posted Image

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

No offense to everyone on here, but there aren't many better places to live in the world than Rio de Janeiro if you have money.

Amazing weather, amazing women, great soccer tradition, and the best league in the Americas.

Posted Image

+10000000000000

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted Image

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Posted Image

Yea.... ok. If you have money, you can avoid those things. Gated communities are the norm in Rio... There are areas of Rio designed to look like suburbs of the United States.

Is Rio any more dangerous than Mexico City? Come on now.

To be fair, most people I've talked to say the biggest draw of the United States is safety. People feel safe here.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Belshina

Belshina

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars, Juventus, Real Madrid

Posted Image

is that Dane Richards holding the gun

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

Yea.... ok. If you have money, you can avoid those things. Gated communities are the norm in Rio... There are areas of Rio designed to look like suburbs of the United States.

To be fair, most people I've talked to say the biggest draw of the United States is safety. People feel safe here.

Report from Tuesday

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

It was.. Now, it's a toss up.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
My fiancee is brasilian and i just got back from Rio less than 2 weeks ago. It is a pretty fantastic city, Flamengo does have Ronaldhino... and I would consider it an option. But, the problem in that leauge is the travel is not very "comfortable" You go around a country that is the size of the US with less developed transportation....

And its far for Marquez... I dont know what his priorities are.. but Rio is nice =)

I love america too though! Proud Gringo!

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
best league in the americas? id take argentina in that regards any day. and, buenos aires > rio.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

best league in the americas? id take argentina in that regards any day. and, buenos aires > rio.

BA certainly is a better city in terms of cosmopolitain lifestyle and safety (I found BA to be like any typical major western city). But Rio does have some sick beaches. Over all, i'd agree that BA is the jewel of South America as far as best cities.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
i would argue the contrary... Argentina is not even a 1st world country anymore. Brazil is athriving nation with a booming economic state. Buenos Aires and Argentina as a whole is a failing nation. As for league.....you are way off base if you think Argentina has more talent than Brazilian leauge.... Their are a ton of Argentina players that come over to BR to play. This is coming from a person that has been to both. My lady is from Santos though. Final vs barca sunday =)

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense
Thanks for the thread split. It reminded to take another look at my apartment in Copacabana in Google street view. Can't wait to go back! :)

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

eightyhoursaway

eightyhoursaway

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Celtic

Posted Image

can i add a shut up jay? oh yeah and a "fire endres".
"What these players have to realize, is that when you put on the Celtic jersey you're not playing for a football team, you're playing for a community and a cause" - Tommy Burns

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

i would argue the contrary... Argentina is not even a 1st world country anymore. Brazil is athriving nation with a booming economic state. Buenos Aires and Argentina as a whole is a failing nation. As for league.....you are way off base if you think Argentina has more talent than Brazilian leauge.... Their are a ton of Argentina players that come over to BR to play. This is coming from a person that has been to both. My lady is from Santos though. Final vs barca sunday =)

i definitely agree that argentina is suffering and the economy and the country hasnt been the same since the economic crash in the early 00s. i went to argentina last summer and everybody down there told me they dont think the country will ever be the same. but the brazilian league is only full of talent because like the european leagues, they have deep wallets. but how many brazilians have gone to argentina and done well recently? the only one i can think of is silas from san lorenzo in the mid 90s. d'allesandro, walter montillo, dario conca, and tevez have all gone to brazil and pretty much dominated. but i will agree that the argentinean teams have to do better in copa sudamericana and libertadores.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
How many Brazillians are actually going to Argentina to play club football?

5+ years ago, Argentina was a thriving league. Times have changed... the Campeonato is much deeper.

Teams like Corinthians, Flamengo, Vasco, Inter, Fluminense, Botafogo, Figurense, and Santos all have strong squads with players from not only Brazil, but from other countries in South America.

Sack's analysis is pretty good. Buenos Aires has the design and feel of a large European city. You can walk from neighborhood to neighborhood if you fancy that.

In Rio, that's much harder to do as the rich meets poor neighborhoods are essentially seemless. There are certain areas one needs to avoid... unfortunately that is the truth. With that said, I'd put up Leblon and Barra da Tijuca with any neighborhood in Buenos Aires. Barra da Tijuca is high rise after high rise of condominiums with malls so large they would make New Yorkers jealous. That's the area the Olympic Village will be located in 2016.

Don't get me wrong, Buenos Aires is a great city. One of the best places I have ever had the experience to go to. But... there is something magical about Rio. Maybe it's the great weather or the out of this world geography, but when you are in Rio, you feel like you are somewhere truly special to the world. The kind of feeling you may get at experiencing Times Square for the first time or being on the roof of the Empire State Building.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users