24 replies to this topic

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

It looks like US Soccer is folding the Developmental Academy.  You can read about it on ussoccer.com, although I'm sure this will be reported in other places.

What happens now to all the DA teams, MLS and non-MLS?

Red Bull seems pretty committed to its academy, but will other MLS teams fold their academy?

Do the Red Bulls put their teams in whatever the highest level league is now, or do the MLS teams form a new Academy league?  If there is a new MLS Academy league, I don't think there are enough MLS teams, they'd have to admit non-MLS teams.

I thought the DA policy of prohibiting players from playing high school soccer was wrong; I wonder if that's going to change?

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Here's the US Soccer announcement:  https://www.ussoccer...t-academy-clubs

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

RB press release:

We have made it our mission to engage, inspire, and develop youth players both regionally and nationally, and integration of academy talent has been a large part of our club philosophy and our success at the MLS level. Our continued investment in the player development pyramid and academy infrastructure means we are well positioned to navigate this changing landscape. Red Bulls Academy will continue to provide the best competition platform, along with a world-class training environment and holistic player support program to maximize each player's development.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

It looks like US Soccer is folding the Developmental Academy.  You can read about it on ussoccer.com, although I'm sure this will be reported in other places.

What happens now to all the DA teams, MLS and non-MLS?

Red Bull seems pretty committed to its academy, but will other MLS teams fold their academy?

Do the Red Bulls put their teams in whatever the highest level league is now, or do the MLS teams form a new Academy league?  If there is a new MLS Academy league, I don't think there are enough MLS teams, they'd have to admit non-MLS teams.

I thought the DA policy of prohibiting players from playing high school soccer was wrong; I wonder if that's going to change?

I thought I read they are forming a new league with MLS + select non MLS

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

USSF says it's about money, but it also seems like the DA was becoming a headache.  

https://www.espn.com...es-youth-league

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

someone will fill the void. will is be the USL? MLS? who knows.

i see this as a negative to developing US Soccer players. Soccer in the US works in different silos. it is a very inefficient system that creates duplications in certain areas in the US while other parts of the country have no presence.

US Soccer needs to provide leagues and teams the structure and support to be successful. playing for an MLS team YA should not be the only way for a kid to get access to great facilities. it will only benefit kids who live in a certain geographic area, have a connection to a local MLS team or parents who have the financial means to pay. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

maybe there'll be (at first) an MLS youth league of U17 and U15 teams, throwing in some select non-MLS academies. have it regional to lower travel costs, then have regional champs playoff.

when it grows, can add USL team academies i guess. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

maybe there'll be (at first) an MLS youth league of U17 and U15 teams, throwing in some select non-MLS academies. have it regional to lower travel costs, then have regional champs playoff.

when it grows, can add USL team academies i guess. 

I think they're going to need to have non-MLS teams right from the start.  Think about the Northeast, there are only 7 MLS teams from DC to Toronto/Montreal.  And the Northeast is the densest part of the country for MLS teams.  Teams like RSL will be playing mostly non-MLS academies.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Can someone give me the ELI5 version of what the impact of this is? I'm woefully ignorant of the youth soccer structure in this country.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

I don't know what the ELI5 version is, but I'll give you my take on it, as brief as I can make it.  The DA was the top level of youth soccer in the country, from about U13 to U18.   There were tough standards for clubs to get accepted into it.  There were pro academies (MLS and USL) in it but also non-pro clubs were in it.  It was funded by US Soccer; I read today that it cost $12 million this year to run it.  It started out as only boys but about 2 years ago the USSF started a girls DA.  The idea was to put players in a professional environment from an early age.  I'd guess that every American born player on the national team spent some time on a DA club, and the rosters of Div. 1 college teams are filled with DA graduates.

With USSF now getting out of the DA, MLS teams are forming their own youth league.  I guess in one sense, this is only about who is going to fund it; the MLS teams are now going to have to pay that $12 million that USSF used to pay.  I think you're going to see a fracturing, with the MLS and some of the bigger non-MLS clubs playing in the MLS youth league, but a lot of other former DA clubs will either form their own leagues or join whatever other high level leagues are out there (ECNL, EDP etc.)

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Thank you for that.

ELI5 = Explain like I'm 5 :)

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

ELI5 = Explain like I'm 5

The audience is 5? Or USSF sound like 5-year-olds?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
12 m to run a national program is not a lot of money.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

12 m to run a national program is not a lot of money.

USSF spends $30 Million annually on youth soccer,
of an annual budget of $106M.
https://cdn.ussoccer...92D47F4112FFB4B

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

USSF spends $30 Million annually on youth soccer,
of an annual budget of $106M.
https://cdn.ussoccer...92D47F4112FFB4B

That is still not a lot of money to run a national program. The US is huge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users