93 replies to this topic

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I feel pretty secure in believing that this team could move Parker in December and have more than enough time to finalize a move for an upgrade. 

I do not.  Given how low the payroll is already and all the demonstrably sub-MLS quality players on the team, there is no need at this point to have to get rid of a guy like Parker in order to bring in someone else.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Incompetence has gotten us to where we are. If your season ends in October and starts up again in March, that gives you four months to get signatures on paper, not to mention the homework done in the previous 6-12 months. I feel pretty secure in believing that this team could move Parker in December and have more than enough time to finalize a move for an upgrade. 

true in general.  Specifically Parker im concerned about how much better of a replacement we can get for him since the USL/academy has no good CBs and he's a domestic player.  Where as Rza I feel confident we can upgrade him.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
There's actually very few players I would write off altogether. Really it's a matter of shipping off some deadweight and replacing them with bona-fide starters. We have the cap space so might as well use it

Drop:

- Barlow (useless even as a depth option)
- Stroud (seems physically limited at this level)
- Seagrist (same as Stroud)
- Rza (approaching the rbny sell by date and with the arrival of yearwood would rather give him the minutes)

Will probably drop but shouldn't: Royer (same as rza, has reached the RB sell by date + has visibly lost a step this year).

The rest of the roster should be kept for this year. We'll probably lose Kaku on a free next year since Armas was an imbecile and wasted his abilities for a full year

The gaping holes are in the 3 attacking mid positions (LM/RM/CAM). Tetteh can conceivably play one of the outside positions (but maybe we'd rather him at striker). Valot can take the other mid. And we're still lost at CAM, unless we revert to a 4-2-2-2...but that would require another good forward.

So yeah we are not looking good for next year. Thelwell has a lot to get done in the next few months.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Surprised to see everyone down on Royer based on a season everyone's been bad in. Clearly can't (or shouldn't) be the best attacking player on a good team but can certainly be a top contributor as he has been prior to 2020.

Surrounded by players at his level (and one or two beyond), he can be a good starter for at least another season or two.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Surprised to see everyone down on Royer based on a season everyone's been bad in. Clearly can't (or shouldn't) be the best attacking player on a good team but can certainly be a top contributor as he has been prior to 2020.

Surrounded by players at his level (and one or two beyond), he can be a good starter for at least another season or two.

Truthfully I thought the team should have considered it in the winter and unless he was on a ridiculous form of domination right now I'd consider it if he was playing well now. It has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that he'll be 31 next season. They sold Lloyd Sam before his value tanked and I think they should with Royer as well. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Royer has looked more unmotivated than slow to me. When he's on the ball he still moves like his normal self but he spends way more of the game moping around than he ever did.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Truthfully I thought the team should have considered it in the winter and unless he was on a ridiculous form of domination right now I'd consider it if he was playing well now. It has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that he'll be 31 next season. They sold Lloyd Sam before his value tanked and I think they should with Royer as well. 

Like they did with BWP? LMAO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

After the season's over:

Kaku 

Yearwood

Royer - [GONE]

Long

Parker

Tetteh

Jorgen$en

Davis - [maybe]

Rza - [GONE]

Jensen - [maybe]

Pendant

Tarek

Meara

Egbo

Casseres

Valot 

White - [maybe]

McIntosh

Duncan

Omir

Nealis - [maybe]

Seacrest - [maybe]

Barlow - [GONE]

Stroud

Lema - [GONE]

Mines

Tolkin

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Thought the goal of the exercise was to consider what they should do. Royer can be good for us for a while and I can't imagine we'd get much of a return (if any) on him in MLS or otherwise after a down season (a Muyl-like 50k? + freeing up an int'l slot), and certainly not enough to replace him with a younger better player. I get replacing players like Muyl/Barlow/etc with literally anyone that we can get, but Royer has been better than that and can still contribute. We have bigger issues is all I'm saying.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Thought the goal of the exercise was to consider what they should do. Royer can be good for us for a while and I can't imagine we'd get much of a return (if any) on him in MLS or otherwise after a down season (a Muyl-like 50k? + freeing up an int'l slot), and certainly not enough to replace him with a younger better player. I get replacing players like Muyl/Barlow/etc with literally anyone that we can get, but Royer has been better than that and can still contribute. We have bigger issues is all I'm saying.

Yeah we do have bigger issues, but there's not a limit on how many offseason moves we're allowed to make. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Yeah we do have bigger issues, but there's not a limit on how many offseason moves we're allowed to make. 

Post-Hamlett, that may actually be true!

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I do not.  Given how low the payroll is already and all the demonstrably sub-MLS quality players on the team, there is no need at this point to have to get rid of a guy like Parker in order to bring in someone else.  

Parker hasn't been an MLS starter for two years now. I hope to hell he refinds his form under Carnell, but the purpose of getting rid of Parker is to find an 
MLS- quality player. He takes up a huge portion of the salary cap. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Parker hasn't been an MLS starter for two years now. I hope to hell he refinds his form under Carnell, but the purpose of getting rid of Parker is to find an 
MLS- quality player. He takes up a huge portion of the salary cap. 

Being that he's still only 27, Parker would be one of the key pieces on the current squad that I'd like to bet on having a resurgence once we get the next coach in place. We've seen his quality pre-Armas. I understand the salary cap aspect, which could very well come into play and be the deciding factor, but given his age, I'd rather bet on him. If he was a couple years older, I'd definitely share your opinion. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Being that he's still only 27, Parker would be one of the key pieces on the current squad that I'd like to bet on having a resurgence once we get the next coach in place. We've seen his quality pre-Armas. I understand the salary cap aspect, which could very well come into play and be the deciding factor, but given his age, I'd rather bet on him. If he was a couple years older, I'd definitely share your opinion. 

That's fine, and I see it as a valid take. This exercise is very oversimplified. I wouldn't cut Parker just for the sake of cutting him in the way that I would with Barlow or RZA. However, I don't buy for a second that finding a capable CB in the offseason would be an exercise in futility. If there's a CB out there that the team is in love with then I wouldn't hesitate to move Parker. If not, I see the argument for giving him another season with a different coach.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Keep and Start:
Meara, Long, Pendant, Kaku, Yearwood

Keep for Bench: Jensen, Duncan, Egbo, Parker, Seagrist or Tolkin, Tarek, CCJ, Davis, Fernandez, Valot, Stroud, Mines, White, Tetteh

Waive: McIntosh (case can be made to keep as third keeper at USL for the season given how poor Lapsley has been), Nealis, Seagrist or Tolkin, Lema, Rza, Royer, Barlow, and Jorgensen

Add from USL/HGP: Caden Clark, Kevin O'Toole, possibly Kyle Zajec
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users