74 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Carnell has made parker look great again.

Great to see that... i was about to give up on him.

Pendant needs to add more muscle this off season. He gets pushed off the ball too much.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Wow, what a wild finish. Must give White some credit, this was a world class strike. He basically intercepted wide and pathetic shot on goal by Pendant, turned and slotted it right next to post with a minute left in the game to give us a point. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Completely invisible and uninvolved ever since he came in as a sub, but this finish was BIG.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Brian White does little except score on occasions

Which is his job description.  If he can score on 9 or so occasions playing a full season, he's earned his spot.    He doesn't shoot much, but his conversion rate is really high.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Wow, what a wild finish. Must give White some credit, this was a world class strike. He basically intercepted wide and pathetic shot on goal by Pendant, turned and slotted it right next to post with a minute left in the game to give us a point. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Completely invisible and uninvolved ever since he came in as a sub, but this finish was BIG.

brian white is a poacher. he is not going to do much unless he is given service. he needs to start. 

barlow is frustrating. he  knows how to get to dangerous positions but messes up when he has to take a shot. his finishing skills reminds me of oduro.  

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

brian white is a poacher. he is not going to do much unless he is given service. he needs to start. 

barlow is frustrating. he  knows how to get to dangerous positions but messes up when he has to take a shot. his finishing skills reminds me of oduro.  

He missed a few easy ones too, and Barlow also scored a couple. Yes, this was a great finish, but Barlow had one too a few games back. They both scored exactly same two goals each this year, while Barlow created more danger. Neither of them is good, but given White heroics, I say he gets to start next game, see what happens. Overall though Barlow outperformed White this season.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

White has 2 goals in 628 mins.  Barlow 2 goals in 782 mins. Both terrible numbers for starting strikers, but Barlow worse than White. 

Barlow also has a tendency to shoot straight at goalies on 1v1 situations. Also, I am not privy to advanced stats (expected goals, etc.) but I'd be willing to guess that Barlow's metrics are pretty low on whatever metric you want to measure. Plus he should have a negative goal on his stats this year or being offsides during Yearwood's goal the other day and causing it to be called back.

I would find it hard to say Barlow has outperformed anyone this year...maybe Tetteh, but that's about it.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

White has 2 goals in 628 mins.  Barlow 2 goals in 782 mins. Both terrible numbers for starting strikers, but Barlow worse than White. 

Barlow also has a tendency to shoot straight at goalies on 1v1 situations. Also, I am not privy to advanced stats (expected goals, etc.) but I'd be willing to guess that Barlow's metrics are pretty low on whatever metric you want to measure. Plus he should have a negative goal on his stats this year or being offsides during Yearwood's goal the other day and causing it to be called back.

I would find it hard to say Barlow has outperformed anyone this year...maybe Tetteh, but that's about it.

I would guess that Barlow is actually relatively high on expected goals because he gets into pretty good shooting positions. He just rarely finishes.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

White has 2 goals in 628 mins.  Barlow 2 goals in 782 mins. Both terrible numbers for starting strikers, but Barlow worse than White...I would find it hard to say Barlow has outperformed anyone this year...

Fair point. By the same token, White has 2 goals in 628 mins, while barely visible for 626 of them. This is not much better than anyone either.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I would guess that Barlow is actually relatively high on expected goals because he gets into pretty good shooting positions. He just rarely finishes.

Basically this. Americansocceranalysis.com is usually where I get my expected goals fix but they haven't updated their tables since March so don't know exactly how they compare with that stat.

But in similar minutes played and equal amounts of goals, Barlow has 2x a many shots as White and 3x as many shots on target. I think those stats support what the eye test is telling most of us - Barlow does enough work off the ball to create chances and impress the coaches, but just doesn't have the finishing chops for it to matter. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

White looked a little more in shape and if our team is playing better he might get better service.

Yes he is invisible way more this year than last year. 

But then again maybe Barlow stretches the field for everyone else and has enough speed to get into place.

play Brian White. Try to get him going. 

Or play Barlow for 55 minutes to tire out the other team.  

Sadly it is unfortunate as we are so much better with a lead which only comes when you score goals. 

play 4231 - Get him more synced with Royer / Kaku / RW Valot/Clark/Omir and Ben Mines 

Let CCJ/Davis/RZA play the 8.

Yearwood at 6.   

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro
But then again maybe Barlow stretches the field for everyone else and has enough speed to get into place.

But how many goals are we scoring with Barlow stretching that space? Not much.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Basically this. Americansocceranalysis.com is usually where I get my expected goals fix but they haven't updated their tables since March so don't know exactly how they compare with that stat.

But in similar minutes played and equal amounts of goals, Barlow has 2x a many shots as White and 3x as many shots on target. I think those stats support what the eye test is telling most of us - Barlow does enough work off the ball to create chances and impress the coaches, but just doesn't have the finishing chops for it to matter. 

Their updated data is on their interactive tables - they stopped updating the static tables.

Barlow has the 6th-worst goals to xG total in the league (2 goals scored, 4.4 xG).

White is overperforming xG (2 goals scored, 1.57 xG).

https://app.american.../xgoals/players

Fbref has expected goals data for MLS now too: https://fbref.com/en...Red-Bulls-Stats

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Their updated data is on their interactive tables - they stopped updating the static tables.

Barlow has the 6th-worst goals to xG total in the league (2 goals scored, 4.4 xG).

Fbref has expected goals data for MLS now too: https://fbref.com/en...Red-Bulls-Stats

As another proof of poor finishing, Stroud is 4th worst in the league in terms of expected assists (3.2) to actual assists (1). Duncan ranked #21 as well (2.35 and 1, respectively).

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I knew it! F Barlow

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

While we will ultimately play with a 2 forward system next year, if our goal is to maximize change to win play White as a lone striker, so hes more useful in hold up and still can provide the finishing we dont have.

Otherwise this is just a try out to see if he can work out kinks needed to play in 2 striker system.  At this point Tetteh shouldnt be viewed as a 2021 piece so i'm not in a hurry to accommodate him. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users