• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think Collin looks fine.  He's always been awkward in a way.  Extremely physical and definitely a bit of a wrecking ball.  And that's a good thing considering it toughens our team up. 

I just watched that game and I was pretty happy with it. Thought we were the better team and didn't give up any A+ chances.  A couple half chances, but that was it.  Was an EXTREMELY physical game and was great how they really beat up Rubio towards the end.  Dude took an absolute beating.  

We need to be better up front in a game like that and definitely hope Kaku is the difference there. Of the 4 up front,I think Davis is the one who struggles the most with the ball. The kid has a good shot and willingness, he's just not good enough on the ball whether it's his passing or his touches.  I'd almost consider him as a centerback.  He has every element for it.  I just don't think he'll ever be good enough of  apasser to be a regular starter.

Thought Etienne looked better than last year.  Was happy with that.  Now he just needs to cause goals.  There can't be anymore Almosts.  It has to result in a final product.

Rapinoe is an interesting player. Better athleticism than I thought.  Even willing to get physical from time to time.  Not very different at all from Felipe.  I'd be interested in seeing Rapinoe in the front 4 though.  I think he has more to offer around goal. 

Tyler is still our best player..

Torn on what to do with formations.  Some players look better in the 3-3-3-1.  I think Royer and Davis are the main two. I think neither guy is as good in the 4-2-3-1.  But I also think we kind of look a little better in the 4-2-3-1 though.  Collin and Long both look better there.  Murillo and Taxi are the same in either.  Having Adams as one of the 6's is nice and he can impact the game more.   Really curious to see us with Kaku.  Balance changes significantly.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Of the 4 up front,I think Davis is the one who struggles the most with the ball. The kid has a good shot and willingness, he's just not good enough on the ball whether it's his passing or his touches.  I'd almost consider him as a centerback.  He has every element for it.  I just don't think he'll ever be good enough of  apasser to be a regular starter.

Do you want Sal Zizzo pt. 2? Because that's how you get Sal Zizzo pt. 2

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Do you want Sal Zizzo pt. 2? Because that's how you get Sal Zizzo pt. 2

Im not sure Davis could be a CB, but he can play soccer. Long was a successful convert from forward/midfielder to CB. I think Davis is closer to Long than Zizzo. Sal was just a fast guy with a not horrible cross.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Jesus christ guys... are we talking seriously about converting Davis to a CB right now? Has #KakuWatch gotten that dull?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Jesus christ guys... are we talking seriously about converting Davis to a CB right now? Has #KakuWatch gotten that dull?

One person said he looked like he could do it. I just took objection comparing Davis to Zizzo.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Why stop there?

BWP at left back.

Adams at ST

Collin at attacking mid.  :wub:

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Why stop there?

BWP at left back.

Adams at ST

Collin at attacking mid.  :wub:

Throw Lade in as a cheerleader. Let's get Marsch doing live color commentary from the sideline but all he talks about his Ali's poor fashion choice.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Jesus christ guys... are we talking seriously about converting Davis to a CB right now?

Terrifying that were having this discussion just days before a big game and weeks before the start of the season.

More terrifying that we have these discussions every single year.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Terrifying that were having this discussion just days before a big game and weeks before the start of the season.

I dont think the idea was brought up to fill a need at CB, but more to find a landing spot for Davis. I disagree, but a lot of people dont rate Davis as a CM or as an attacking player. If thats the case, there may be another position for him somewhere. Its not unheard of, even at his advanced age of mid-20s.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

no one is saying to do it now.

Davis can play as evidenced  by the last 2 season.  I rate him, others not as much.   

Long history of attackers converting to successfull defenders - Long, Yedlin, Spector, Chris Henderson. Davis may be older then those players when converted but he is a smart player for sure and puts the work in.   Keep him in midfield for now starting as warrented based on form.

(oh yeah and forwards converting to midfielders )

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I dont think the idea was brought up to fill a need at CB, but more to find a landing spot for Davis. I disagree, but a lot of people dont rate Davis as a CM or as an attacking player. If thats the case, there may be another position for him somewhere. Its not unheard of, even at his advanced age of mid-20s.

I know. Im just pissed off that we let another off season go by without a legit CB signing. Its going to be a problem position...AGAIN.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I know. Im just pissed off that we let another off season go by without a legit CB signing. Its going to be a problem position...AGAIN.

I don't think it will be that bad. Last season we were pretty much forced into a 3-6-1 due to Sacha's inability to play in the Leipzig 4--2-2-2, and our general suckitude in the 4-5-1. 

This year, we have more attacking options, and i think if our CBs start thinning out, we can always revert to the 4-2-2-2 , which only uses 2 CBs. I think between Collin, Long, Escobar, Murillo, Redding, we should have 2 quality CBs starting for us at all times (and not a mid filling in at CB).

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Maybe they really rate both Ndam and Politz high enough that they have sufficient cover?

Only issue that remains for me re the roster. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Maybe they really rate both Ndam and Politz high enough that they have sufficient cover?

Only issue that remains for me re the roster. 

I agree that CB is the key issue that Hamlett has left unaddressed.

But for me, a critical error is not having a capable and ready to go back up for BWP. Hes been incredibly durable during his time here. But God forbid he goes down and has to miss a significant stretch........I think were a bottom 5 team in MLlS.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Exactly, nobody was saying do it now. 

It was just a long term thought, like McSoccer and a couple of others said.   I look at Davis and see big time effort with a big time mind for soccer.  What I don't see is great control with the ball in terms of passing or even first touch.  He does have a very good shot so maybe that's reason enough to keep him closer to goal. 

But with his pure traits, I think he could be a good centerback.  He's physical, tall enough, and sees the game.  Extremely smart and would learn that aspect.  I'm just trying to think of something he could be very good at, because I don't see him as more than a spot starter at any offensive midfield spot or even defensive midfield.  That's not bad or anything, but I think Davis has more in him at a different spot.  

Time will tell though.  THis is a big season for him in terms of growth.  Curious to see how he does because not many guys work harder than Davis.  I'm rooting for him

And no, there is no comparison to Zizzo.  Just different players, different positions and physical traits.

As far as CB goes, I think we are fine if we are playing a 4 man back line.  If we are going to play the 3 man line, then we need another guy to factor in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users