Has Armas lost the team?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Armas lost the team (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Armas lost the team

1. YES (29 votes [67.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.44%

2. NO (7 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

3. waittill end of regular ends & then decide (7 votes [16.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

I am a great  supporter of stability of clubs aka pittsburgh steelers who stick with their managers thru good & bad times. IMO I'm afraid that Armas has lost influence & control of this team. If we  continue to play awful football & fail to make the playoffs then it is time for management to consider replacing him but only if he can a proven winner in mls. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
He lost it awhile ago. It's really not even up for a debate to me.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I don't think the players blame him for their woes (yet).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Usually when you talk about losing the team you're talking about mentality and effort. Other than some tough spells from guys who were clearly hoping to cash in on a transfer opportunity, it doesn't seem to me like that's what's going on here.

I just don't think Armas is as good of a coach as Marsch. He can't settle on an identity that he wants the team to play with, or he's not as good as communicating that vision to the players. Under Marsch our guys moved as a total unit 100% of the time, under Armas it often looks like 11 guys just rolled the ball out and picked a new FIFA formation to try out.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Usually when you talk about losing the team you're talking about mentality and effort. Other than some tough spells from guys who were clearly hoping to cash in on a transfer opportunity, it doesn't seem to me like that's what's going on here.

I just don't think Armas is as good of a coach as Marsch. He can't settle on an identity that he wants the team to play with, or he's not as good as communicating that vision to the players. Under Marsch our guys moved as a total unit 100% of the time, under Armas it often looks like 11 guys just rolled the ball out and picked a new FIFA formation to try out.

I agree with this. Armas is trying, he's just not that good. You're not getting a lot of the peripheral BS and pouting you see from teams where the team is at odds with the coach. The story is probably that Marsch had the team overachieving and the talent/investment gap is showing it's head.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

IMO hes lost the team BECAUSE of this.

Lots of guys not getting stuck in. Not fighting for 50/50s. Casually giving up on plays. Losing their shit at the ends of games.

Hes lost them.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
The issue Armas is having is that the league adapted to the press. Teams are pumping the ball to rb's wing back position. Teams know that if they just lob into that direction they are going to get one or two good opportunities on goal. Armas needs to wake up and switch to five in the back to stop these hail mary passes.

The league also knows that rbny lost a step when they counter.lets face it, bwp is not the same this year and no one in mid had Adam's athletic ability. Sims was supposed to improve this ability.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The issue Armas is having is that the league adapted to the press.

You realize that we dont press anymore.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

The issue Armas is having is that the league adapted to the press. Teams are pumping the ball to rb's wing back position. Teams know that if they just lob into that direction they are going to get one or two good opportunities on goal. Armas needs to wake up and switch to five in the back to stop these hail mary passes.

The league also knows that rbny lost a step when they counter.lets face it, bwp is not the same this year and no one in mid had Adam's athletic ability. Sims was supposed to improve this ability.

We dont press and we have never been able to execute quality counterattacks on a consistent basis.

redredred

redredred

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Supports:metro
Armas just feels like a substitute teacher to me.

I think Marsch had a personal ambition that made the fit with rb work, Armas lacks that.

Marsch wants to be a coach at the highest level and while that means rbny was always a stepping stone/platform for him (doing badges etc), I think thats a better fit than Armas.

Marsch wants to be great, Armas wants to be comfortable. What has he done to make himself a better coach?

He wants to live on Long Island and spend half the workday driving to and from training, trying to convince us that hes plotting tactical brilliance when sitting in traffic.

Armas the player was very good, I remember him scoring the usisl winning goal for rough riders in 95.

He never went to Europe to play and I just dont think he is ambitious enough to be successful given the constraints from this organization.

What did he do to build his resume before getting the rb job? Coaching low level college soccer and high school?

They should go get one of these young German hot shot coaches who wants to be a manager from late 20s/early 30s. Maybe that would get ny better prospects from Leipzig/Salzburg than the likes of Damari and Rza.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
Nit : Savarese scored the game winner with seconds left. Armas scored the opener

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Losing Tyler and his quality intensity cant be overstated for a team at vital spot to their style would be much worse and BWP regression along withwhole back line

That being said Armas is still learning and growing as a coach. Baffling why CCJ is not automatic and sims decision weird as well. I. Get playing BWP to try to reignite an important player.

As far as Armas not being ambitious the guy lived lots of places during his his career and came back from 2 ? ACL to get into best 11. To early to tell if he wants comfort now or can raise his level learn with trial by fire given local opportunity.

Done no favors with all the issues and low budget AND HENEEDS TO STEP IT UP WITH WHAT HE HAS.

Wouldnt mind a little more angry yelling team needs to step it up attitude. I get his style but think a little more fire like Marsch / Bradley / Arena who he worked under is called for.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

I think Armas' man management and keeping the locker room is his biggest strength as coach. Just he doesn't have many new ideas to dig us out of our rut and we are talent deficient relative to the rest of the league and relative to last year. 

it's not like we have a bunch of disciplinary problems or team mates fighting or something like that. 

Perfect example of losing the locker room is Friedel in NE. Armas doesn't have anywhere near the types of problems the Revs had. 

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

I think Armas' man management and keeping the locker room is his biggest strength as coach. Just he doesn't have many new ideas to dig us out of our rut and we are talent deficient relative to the rest of the league and relative to last year. 

it's not like we have a bunch of disciplinary problems or team mates fighting or something like that. 

Perfect example of losing the locker room is Friedel in NE. Armas doesn't have anywhere near the types of problems the Revs had. 

There's bad, than there's Friedel. Unbelievable that he lasted as long as he did.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I dont think so, I honestly just think the team is poor.

Take away BWP and Adams and we would have been pretty average over the last few years.

And look we did and were average.

The back lines been chopped and changed so much and I still think the back 5 is elite but the later and later and the season is giving me less and less hope that we get there.

I cant see us winning away in atl / philly / Nycfc two matches in a row.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users