137 replies to this topic

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro
What a complete dumpster fire of a game. Typical garbage mls game that just happens during the year. RSL is not going to be very good. RSL played like the away team. We weren't terrible for a road game in altitude, cold weather and snow. We played our system admirably but just didn't get a result. I'll throw in a standard comment about the officiating but it's always an excuse and always going to be subpar. Nice game to forget about and move on.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Time wasted and dirt to get a result tonight. Nothing spectacular. 

Did his team walk away with 3 points tonight or not?

Basically we gambled that we could get by without starting a full strength lineup and it came up snake eyes.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

What a complete dumpster fire of a game. Typical garbage mls game that just happens during the year. RSL is not going to be very good. RSL played like the away team. We weren't terrible for a road game in altitude, cold weather and snow. We played our system admirably but just didn't get a result. I'll throw in a standard comment about the officiating but it's always an excuse and always going to be subpar. Nice game to forget about and move on.

Tijuana didn't let the cold bother them. We have already been playing in the cold. BS excuse.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I wouldn't worry too much about this game. You can't win them all, especially when you have fixture congestion, cross-continental travel, and you are playing in snow at altitude. Just brush it off and move on. We have a good team this year.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,538 posts

Tijuana didn't let the cold bother them. We have already been playing in the cold. BS excuse.

?  Tijuana got destroyed so we don't know if it bothered them or didn't.  Either way, we outplayed RSL and that's the point of this whole thing.  Especially on the road against a team that just got embarrassed by LAFC... Sometimes the score doesn't reflect things.  Happens in hockey, happens in basketball when a team shows up and shoots 60% while the better team just happens to be shooting 30% that game.

Sucks when you lose but sucks worse when you're clearly better than the team you played.

Have to wonder if RSL is going to make the playoffs this year while the average person would feel pretty good about us making it.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Clearly my comment on the game was based solely around the cold. If it wasn't cold we would have won by 5. Any other point or comment is just bs

-MetroSquard

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Did his team walk away with 3 points tonight or not?

Basically we gambled that we could get by without starting a full strength lineup and it came up snake eyes.

Not much of a gamble for a non conference away game early in the season. It was fine to get more minutes for bench players. Our starters will have plenty of more important games to play later in the season.

-MetroSquard

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

I'm sorry, but that PK was justified if the ref sees it.  You can't wrap your arm over the guys shoulder and across his chest and not expect to get called.

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Clearly my comment on the game was based solely around the cold. If it wasn't cold we would have won by 5. Any other point or comment is just bs

It was cold for both the Portland and Tijuana games, didn't stop us there. I think we just had an off night with too many starters injured or on the bench. If Rivas hadn't unnecessarily bear hugged him mark it would have been a tie. We might have won the game anyways playing so lackluster, RSL is pretty bad at the moment.

A majority of the Tijuana players wore short sleeved shirts and I specifically watched for signs that the cold was affecting them. I couldn't see it and they had a bigger temperature adjustment to make coming to NY than we did going to Salt Lake. In fact we had no temperature adjustment to make at all. 

Altitude is a valid excuse. That gives them a definite advantage everything else held equal.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Duncan looks like hes going to be an alright player for us. He doesnt really ger exposed much on defense. His game needs a little work moving fwd

5 year plan

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
It was a combination of the cold + altitude and only training there one day. It's hard to breathe in the cold to begin with but like others stated, we have played some cold ones already. That said, when you add in the altitude, it makes a huge difference.
I was in Sandy, UT a couple weeks ago for work and struggled with my morning runs. I'm not a pro player and a decade removed from my mid 20s but there is a noticable difference.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

It was cold for both the Portland and Tijuana games, didn't stop us there. I think we just had an off night with too many starters injured or on the bench. If Rivas hadn't unnecessarily bear hugged him mark it would have been a tie. We might have won the game anyways playing so lackluster, RSL is pretty bad at the moment.

A majority of the Tijuana players wore short sleeved shirts and I specifically watched for signs that the cold was affecting them. I couldn't see it and they had a bigger temperature adjustment to make coming to NY than we did going to Salt Lake. In fact we had no temperature adjustment to make at all. 

Altitude is a valid excuse. That gives them a definite advantage everything else held equal.

Not to continue the point but the cold was a factory not an excuse.

Anyway there is also the fact that this game wasn't nearly as important as the Tijuana game or even the home opener in a sense. Yeah every game should be important but it's not.

By the way I am pissed we lost the game because I thought we were trying more than they were to actually play a positive game and win. They played negative and just tried to hold on.

We are going to have to learn to win these kinds of games because teams do this a lot.

-MetroSquard

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,355 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm sorry, but that PK was justified if the ref sees it.  You can't wrap your arm over the guys shoulder and across his chest and not expect to get called.

Should it have mattered that the contact was initiated outside of the box? Never knew the actual rule on something like that.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Should it have mattered that the contact was initiated outside of the box? Never knew the actual rule on something like that.

A quote from the actual laws of the game: "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues
holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick." So a textbook penalty.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Even though we lost, I didn't think we were overmatched. On another day we tie or win this one. Oh well on to the next one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users