117 replies to this topic

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Perhaps he can start elsewhere.  If not, he'll be available in the pre-season.

if he isnt out on the field dazzling the crowd though, he an afterthought. Why bother?

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

First, Marsch doesn't rotate his starters, only when he does a complete lineup switch like he did for a couple of games around the Open Cup.

Second, Grella had definitely won the job over Royer.  Look for example at the six games Grella played in after he came back from injury and before he went out again.

May 6 - First game back, 14 min sub appearance

May 14 - Subbed in at halftime (how often does Marsch do that?)

May 19 - Start (Marsch played his normal starters like BWP & Kljestan)

May 27 - Start (again, an first team lineup)

June 3 - Start (first team lineup)

June 14 - Start in the Open Cup (first lineup)

Are you telling me that Marsch didn't see Grella as a starter at this point?  Four starts in a row, all first team lineups.  Royer started most of those games as well, but twice (May 19 v TFC & June 14 v City) over that span Marsch started Grella over him.  Royer was healthy over that time period (he had starts before and after those games and he came in as a sub in both) and they were first team lineups (BWP, Kljestan, Adams, etc.).

So yea, Royer was in the mix, but not necessarily ahead of Grella.  That's why the "win the job in training" argument doesn't always work with Marsch.  He sees things in practice that don't always translate to games.  Is it because he has favorites?  Or our defense plays a certain way in practice that make guys like Muyl and Grella look great, but opposing defense play those two differently?  I have no idea, but whatever happened in training that lead Marsch to start Grella over Royer didn't pan out in games, as Royer had 3 goals in those matches and Mike 0.

You proved the point yourself.  Royer started almost all of those games as well.  The discussion here wasn't whether he seen Grella as a starter, it was in comparison to Royer.  Which is the point you made.  The Open Cup game who knows if he wanted to use both of them that game, but save the better player for the 2nd half. The only 1 single game over all of those games in the season that remotely supports your point is that May 19th game.   And who knows if Royer was banged up during the week and wasn't good for 90 there.

You're basically using 2 games over an entire season.  So no, I'm not going to buy into the idea that he thought Grella was ever a better player than Royer.  Especially considering he pays Royer significantly more money than Grella.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Veron now our most successful signing from Argentina, ahead of nominal Argie Sergio Galvan Rey!
http://www.metrofana.../team/inter.jsp
http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=311
http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=146

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Veron now our most successful signing from Argentina, ahead of nominal Argie Sergio Galvan Rey!
http://www.metrofana.../team/inter.jsp
http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=311
http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=146

Sort of mind blowing that Galvan Rey still has double the starts. Guess that speaks to quality of MLS then vs. now.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Sort of mind blowing that Galvan Rey still has double the starts. Guess that speaks to quality of MLS then vs. now.

Or the stubbornness of Marsch.  :D 

I hope we can resign Veron. At the right price of course...

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Anyone know what Markus Holgersson is up to these days?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Anyone know what Markus Holgersson is up to these days?

Lorca in the Spanish 2nd division

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Lorca in the Spanish 2nd division

Crazy to think about how many centerbacks we've gone through since he left. And I'm not sure any of them have been able to put together 2 consecutive good seasons. 

Bring back Robin Fraser!!

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Ugh, Holgersson... Smart, consistent, healthy CB who enjoyed being here, let go because Petke had a bit of an MLS 1.0 mindset towards the position. One of the very few truly boneheaded moves Petke made in charge imo.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Ugh, Holgersson... Smart, consistent, healthy CB who enjoyed being here, let go because Petke had a bit of an MLS 1.0 mindset towards the position. One of the very few truly boneheaded moves Petke made in charge imo.

IMHO, the biggest blemish on Petke's record

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Veron taken by Scum in the 2nd round of Re-Entry draft.

In 2nd stage of MLS re-entry draft, D.C. United claims rights to Red Bulls attacker Gonzalo Veron. Still must reach deal on contract. #dcu #rbny

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham
Now all I hope is that Veron decides to leave MLS.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

With the loss of Veron, at least now the team will will actually have to try to find an upgrade instead of hoping Veron magically improves.  Nevermind, who am I kidding, Muyl is just going to be playing there again.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

With the loss of Veron, at least now the team will will actually have to try to find an upgrade instead of hoping Veron magically improves.  Nevermind, who am I kidding, Muyl is just going to be playing there again.

LOL

he'll end up starting 12 games or so at that spot. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
He was finally coming around a bit but I'm fine with him and the endless discussion about him being finally gone now. I hope he leaves the league too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users