379 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

My point is that we need to solve the problems we absolutely do have now before trying to solve problems that we speculate we may have in the future.  Last season, the team failed to bring in a good centerback and a good winger.  After that, I have no faith in the team's ability to bring in (1) a good centerback and (2) a good winger and (3) a player who can replace the best chance creator in MLS and a (4) player who can replace one of the all-time great MLS goalscorers in one off season.  Last year they proved they could not bring in two good players in one transfer window. I do not want them to put themselves in a place where they have to bring in four first team quality players in one transfer window because I believe it is inevitable that they will fail and the team will be worse off.  Based on the management's clear difficulty in finding good players over the last few years, I would be happy if the team could replace Matt Miazga and Lloyd Sam, who left years ago, before attempting to replace Sacha and BWP, who are still on the team and contributed at very high rates this year.

Sacha's replacement for 2018 may already be on the roster. And allocation money/salary freed up from a Sacha trade may help solving the pressing CB/wing issues. There's nothing certain, of course, but Sacha performing up to his 2015-2017 standards is far from guaranteed too. I think BWP will be good in 2018 but his wheels could fall off very quickly at any point (but the succession plan to Veron could also be in place already).

I guess we'll see what happens.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
This team desperately needs a fast CB and a Right Wing Back, and a DP level attacking mid..

That would let Adams go to his true position which is CM..

A lot of talk of Davis... He's 24, guys don't get exponentially better at 25 from 24...he is what he is.. This is his best, he isn't winning the mvp of the league or becoming an all star... He should be a bench player at best.. It's time to pony up for an All Star caliber attacking mid.. If NY are serious about getting to the next level that's what they have to do.. Add a complementary speedy Attacking mid to Sacha and Royer and BWP.

Sacha doesn't have a replacement on the roster yet but should get one this off-season and it should be a complementary player. One that doesn't have the draw backs Sacha has( lack of pace and not being able to cover ground defensively) or else why even let Sacha go..

There's plenty of guys in the Argentina league and Brazilian league that can be a Valeri or Piatti or Giovinco type contributor

Going after a guy like Lautaro Acosta would be a good idea
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Sacha's replacement for 2018 may already be on the roster. And allocation money/salary freed up from a Sacha trade may help solving the pressing CB/wing issues. There's nothing certain, of course, but Sacha performing up to his 2015-2017 standards is far from guaranteed too. I think BWP will be good in 2018 but his wheels could fall off very quickly at any point (but the succession plan to Veron could also be in place already).

I guess we'll see what happens.

I have absolutely zero faith that anyone on the roster has the ability to create chances or get assists at the historic rate Sacha has over the last few years.  I hope I am wrong and Sean Davis turns into the second coming of Carlos Valderama.  

The allocation money/salary argument was what everyone said about Dax and we see how that turned out.  Red Bull already has a ton of allocation money and one of the lowest payrolls in the entire league.  It is not like we are Golden State Warriors trying to fit in a bunch of superstars underneath the salary cap.  There is no need to get rid of one of our most important players to get a better centerback or a better winger.  We already have the allocation money and a low enough payroll.  

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Slotting Adams into CM would drastically change this team so I think its premature to write of Davis. Both he and Royer showed very well in stretches this season and adding another guy in Adams to run his tail off and pressure high would improve both of them IMO.

If we are absolutely certain that Sasha is a goner then the problem to me is what is to be done about striker. Historically BWP hasnt been able to play with anyone else, but if we could find the perfect foil for him then a 2 forward setup with Royer, Adams, Felipe, and Davis behind them is pretty damn good. Those guys are all willing to press and shoot from distance. Add in the occasional run from Taxi and Murillo and I think thats a well balanced team.

Question is who can partner with BWP. I dont think its Veron and it seems as though the club is negotiating with him.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Slotting Adams into CM would drastically change this team so I think its premature to write of Davis. Both he and Royer showed very well in stretches this season and adding another guy in Adams to run his tail off and pressure high would improve both of them IMO.

Davis started 21 games, almost all in an attacking position. He ended the season with 2 goals and 4 assists... I keep seeing this theory floating around that younger legs that can press more effectively will make up for Kljestan's creativity. To me those kind of numbers show that at some point you need a guy who can consistently make plays towards goal, and Davis isn't it.

I just cannot get behind this idea that we can roll into next season with this year's squad minus Kljestan and expect similar or better results. I just don't get it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users