8 replies to this topic

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team
This Sunday, my fellow Metro brethren, we once again face off against our old nemesis, the bastards we ALL love to hate, our undisputed number one enemy....

D.C. United. (To the thunderous sound of lustful hateful boos)

You all know the story, they have the rings, we've had our bell rung. We play in a soccer palace, they play in a rodent infested toilet. Last season we had the best record, won a shield. They had the worst record, won an another cup. They have the championships, we have a chip on our shoulder and so on...

After all, there is a REASON we call them The Scum. The intense, high-octane animosity between the teams and their loud and loyal fanbases is genuine. Believe it. Say it with me, everyone... As long as we're breathing until the day we die... WE. HATE. DC!!!

Since rivalry week is upon us, a question I have for the good folks here at MetroFanatic:

As we all know, this derby has been as old as the league itself. A rivalry that has plenty of history, full of close matches, on-field controversies, heartbreaking losses suffered by both teams - more us than them, great players that have fueled the disrespect and open hostilities on, and off the pitch, and who can forget those epic parking lot battles between supporters. This rivalry has had it all..

So, why isn't THIS rivalry isn't as big as the Cascadia rivalry featured on MLSSoccer.com and elsewhere?

Now don't get me wrong, got nothing against those wonderful folks out in the PNW, They SHOULD get props for doing their thing and doing it well. Thier matches have been entertaining as derbies go. Never to be confused with the classic derbies, you know the ones - The Old Firm, Superclassico's, North London Derby, Boca v. River Plate, and of course, Mexico vs. United States. But they shouldn’t be the ONLY rivalry in the national spotlight, in fact, last I checked - and please correct me if I'm wrong, this league is FULL of them.

But, if you were new or a casual observer to MLS you wouldn't be wrong to think it’s just Seattle and Portland - and then there’s everyone else.

So I ask you all, what will it take for this rivalry to be not just in the conversation, but in the spotlight that I for one, believe it fully deserves.

The stage is yours... And oh yeah, fuck D.C.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Shoot the Bull

Shoot the Bull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Interests:RBNY
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Fuck DC 

Proud supporter and STH of RBNY - In it through thick and thin.

Forza Metro! We love ya. Oh, and Fuck DC scum.

twitter: @mromilio

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So I ask you all, what will it take for this rivalry to be not just in the conversation, but in the spotlight that I for one, believe it fully deserves.

Maybe we need to get 65 or 70,000 people to show up for the TV cameras first.

Fuck DC.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

Maybe we need to get 65 or 70,000 people to show up for the TV cameras first.

Fuck DC.

Bingo. League and tv couldn't give a damn about rivalry history, unless it looks good for the viewing audience. And let's face it, collapsing RFK will NEVER look good, unless it's stuffed with USMNT supporters.

I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Yes, as previously mentioned, it's all about the sellouts at Providence Park and Century Link.  Even though their rivalries are technically older than ours with the Scum, they are the darlings of the league right now along with SKC because of the attendances.  If/when we start selling out on a regular basis, we'll start getting more marquis TV games and attention from the league.   

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
You only sing for the tv!
Sing for the tv!

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Yeah, I hear what all of you are saying, and I totally agree. Derbies look even sexier on TV when played in a sold-out stadium. But still, I don't like the slight that the MLS 1.0 teams are getting. Don't like it at all...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

So, why isn't THIS rivalry isn't as big as the Cascadia rivalry featured on MLSSoccer.com and elsewhere?

That history does go back almost 40 years. While it may not have been renewed every one of those 40 years and I doubt many of the wahoos hanging face for the TV cameras know much about it, but it does have some history to it.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
FUCK DC.

VAMOS METRO!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users