73 replies to this topic

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I just don't understand why we, the true supporters of this team, give a shit how many bandwagon fans join us at the arena

One really good reason: the accountants run this club now, and so long as revenues stay flat or increase by low single digit percentages year-on-year, there won't be any players on the caliber of Henry or Cahill walking through the door.

If attendance stays where it's typically been, I hope you enjoy watching a mix of untested academy kids, USL all-stars, one or two former/borderline US int'ls, and rejects from the mothership for the forseeable future.

Side note: who are the worst-run MLS clubs in 2017? It's gotta be some combination of New England, Salt Lake, Columbus, Houston, the Scum, and Red Bull, right? Bad news: Scum are probably off the hook once their new stadium is built, Columbus is looking into building a new facility, and if Houston could get their act together on the field they have a nice stadium in a good location just waiting to be filled with fans.

Basically that leaves Red Bull to slug it out with the insufferable Krafts and the fat Mormon for the title of "least interested owners in MLS". Good company to be in!

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Announced attendance has been steady at around 18-19k for years and I don't see how that is the difference between spending money or not.

And yes I do enjoy watching local kids and other unproven talent as much as I did Henry and Cahill teams and the results are the same as well.

Of course none of this changes the fact that we are a horribly run team that has stopped spending any more money than barely necessary on the first team. But I didn't like the owners or FO of the club any more when they spent twice as much, so the accountants now running the team still doesn't make me care how many people show up at the arena. But I guess that's just me.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#RedBullOUT

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Everyone knows the announced attendance numbers are total bullshit and the actual number is closer to 10,000 (much of the bullshit number is tickets distributed=lots of comps). If we had 25,000 paying fans every match I think even the Austrians would say "Holy shit I think we have to treat this like a real club and not some backwater that we don't give a flying fuck about". Also the worst thing is we are probably behind Kraft because he's actually spent money the past few years and he actually attended MLS Cup when his team was in the final.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

One really good reason: the accountants run this club now, and so long as revenues stay flat or increase by low single digit percentages year-on-year, there won't be any players on the caliber of Henry or Cahill walking through the door.

If attendance stays where it's typically been, I hope you enjoy watching a mix of untested academy kids, USL all-stars, one or two former/borderline US int'ls, and rejects from the mothership for the forseeable future.

Ticket sales are not the main source of revenue for a professional sports team. Selling out every single game would not make a significant difference and I highly doubt it would encourage RB to put money back into the team.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Everyone knows the announced attendance numbers are total bullshit and the actual number is closer to 10,000 (much of the bullshit number is tickets distributed=lots of comps). If we had 25,000 paying fans every match I think even the Austrians would say "Holy shit I think we have to treat this like a real club and not some backwater that we don't give a flying fuck about". Also the worst thing is we are probably behind Kraft because he's actually spent money the past few years and he actually attended MLS Cup when his team was in the final.

We probably legit averaged 16-17k last year, it's not that bad. 10k would be horrendous.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
Minor league garbage product that's the result of trying to build a roster as cheap as possible because ownership doesn't give a flying fuck= Empty seats and nobody giving a shit about us. I spend $10 a game on the Cosmos and today I feel like I spent twice that to see a product no better than NASL, and it fills me with disgust. We deserve better.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
Yeah well you have tickets to like nineteen teams so enjoy your options guy.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Yeah well you have tickets to like nineteen teams so enjoy your options guy.

Oh how clever! So you were alright with what we were given today? That's OK with you? Again, we deserve better.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
Stick to the Cosmos if it's that bad. Horrendous to be get a tie against RSL I would agree but I'm not prepared to riot and say the team is garbage

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Stick to the Cosmos if it's that bad. Horrendous to be get a tie against RSL I would agree but I'm not prepared to riot and say the team is garbage

Nah thanks, I've been here from day one. Think I'll stay.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts
Nineteen teams, a couple cups!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Nineteen teams, a couple cups!

La Manga and Emirates baby!!! Take THAT SOB!
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,933 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Ticket sales are not the main source of revenue for a professional sports team.

They are still a major source, especially for MLS, which has nowhere near the TV & ancillary revenues of the 4 major sports. I remain unconvinced of MLS's financials, and continue to believe that the largest revenue is from franchise fees, which cannot continue forever.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,933 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Announced attendance has been steady at around 18-19k for years

We'll never see real numbers for tickets sold or turnstile counts. Outside of the SW, the crowds were sparse for the first two matches. Well under 10K in my estimation, perhaps closer to 5K.
Meanwhile, at least 4 USL teams reported crowds of around 8K, and those numbers seem legit, when I watched the highlight videos.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users