60 replies to this topic

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

If you fire him, who would you want? My opinion, someone with MLS experience like Preki. Or do I say, bring Petke back? Or has his MLS coaching career ended with his comments at RSL?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

If you fire him, who would you want? My opinion, someone with MLS experience like Preki. Or do I say, bring Petke back? Or has his MLS coaching career ended with his comments at RSL?

See how cheap Kroneke is and make an offer for Robin Fraser.  I want someone who knows how this league works.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

See how cheap Kroneke is and make an offer for Robin Fraser.  I want someone who knows how this league works.

If we are going for legacy, Carl Robinson would make a better fit.    At his current West Sydney club "...he changed the philosophy at the club while building one of the youngest squads in the A League and giving more talented Academy youngsters their professional debuts."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The comment was a slur, and is bad, but I think Petke's issue is that he kept saying it and then slipped a note to the refs saying it. Then I think he sued RSL for his contract. I don't see Petke coaching any MLS teams.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Might be an unpopular opinion given he won the team's first silverware, but I don't think Petke's a good coach. He had a huge support system while he was learning on the job here, and didn't do anything particularly interesting while on his own at RSL. Best thing Petke did as a coach for us was get out of his own way. So many of the major tactical changes that brought his teams success were ultimately credited to either Fraser, Henry, or Roxburgh. In this case, I'd rather look forward than backward.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Preki  style is similar to Ben Olsen. They like to bunker. i would rather not see that type of soccer. 

Petke... i dont know how he recovers his image in MLS. the owner of RSL really messed him up. BTW, i dont think he is a cat person.. atleast anymore

A coach that could be available is Bob Bradley if LAFC does not make the playoffs. i would sign him if he becomes available. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Bob Bradley 100%

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Preki  style is similar to Ben Olsen. They like to bunker. i would rather not see that type of soccer. 

Petke... i dont know how he recovers his image in MLS. the owner of RSL really messed him up. BTW, i dont think he is a cat person.. atleast anymore

A coach that could be available is Bob Bradley if LAFC does not make the playoffs. i would sign him if he becomes available. 

Bob Bradley 100%

If Bradley misses the playoffs with LAFC, a team that is spending on players, what's he going to here, without the likes of Vela?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

If Bradley misses the playoffs with LAFC, a team that is spending on players, what's he going to here, without the likes of Vela?

I dont believe in taking 1 data point to make decisions.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Its not one data point, though. Theyve gotten progressively worse each year since their Shield team. Im not against Bradley as a coach, Arenas success in NE proves these old timers can still be effective, but he needs players like Arena got. I cant see him winning with Klimala when he couldnt with Vela.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Fired from USMNT, then did not make the WC with Egypt, failed at Swansea. Le Havre/Stabaek you can spin as successful stops but more like par for the course.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Ritchie Williams is Arena's assistant at NE. He had a great record here as acting coach. He was let go for some personal issues that have never been made public. Assuming that he has matured and those personal issues are no longer a problem, he should be someone to be considered.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Fired from USMNT, then did not make the WC with Egypt, failed at Swansea. Le Havre/Stabaek you can spin as successful stops but more like par for the course.

I dont think thats a fair assessment of his overall career.

You didnt talk at all about his work in MLS before leaving.

You also didnt talk about the circumstances during his tenure with Egypt or that he had them on the doorstep of qualification.

You also didnt talk about his successes with the USMNT.

The guy isnt perfect, but hes not shit.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

You also didnt talk about the circumstances during his tenure with Egypt or that he had them on the doorstep of qualification.

He was basically a .500 coach in MLS after his early success in Chicago.  His two national teams stops were both strong, despite not qualifying with Egypt.  Then he was successful in the lower divisions of Europe, before what happened at Swansea.  Started off great in LAFC, but has been .500 last season and this season.

By no means would he be a bad hire.  I just wouldn't say he's a no brainer.  You said, "Bob Bradley 100%" and I think it's maybe more like "Bob Bradley 65%'...

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Just pointed out that this year with LAFC is not the single negative data point of his career, and his successes are from 2010 or earlier. I'm sure we can do worse than Bob Bradley, but he's also not a guaranteed saviour, especially if NYRB won't spend like LAFC, and they obviously won't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users