117 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Glad that he's going to the Middle East and the dude should get paid well.

For a guy who supposedly struggled largely because of personal problems and difficult adjusting to a new country, surprised that he decided to move another few thousand miles away from home...

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

For a guy who supposedly struggled largely because of personal problems and difficult adjusting to a new country, surprised that he decided to move another few thousand miles away from home...

Has a family and money is important.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Large pay checks help smooth cultural transitions...

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Scum's main writer said that it currently looks doubtful they'll be able to sign him.  The writer is hearing that he's looking at heading to the Middle East.   

RsU48xZl_bigger.jpgSteven Goff‏Verified account @SoccerInsider
FollowingFollowing @SoccerInsider
More

D.C. United signing status GK David Ousted: probable (in exchange for maybe 2nd-round draft pick to Vancouver)

MF-F Gonzalo Veron: doubtful (likely headed overseas)

MF Eryk Williamson: possible (weighing Euro options, homegrown offer)

3:04 PM - 4 Jan 2018

Was happy to read personally. Veron started to get it last year and would be a good player wherever he went.  Glad that he's going to the Middle East and the dude should get paid well.

Glad we will not have to face him 3 times this year.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Fuck DC, Veron signed with Independiente!! https://twitter.com/...457196228104192

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
Zizzo might be back on the Metro pitch after all:
https://www.atlutd.c...agent-sal-zizzo
At least when Atlanta comes to town.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Happy Veron left MLS because he turned into a good player and happy Zizzo is playing for a team we need to beat. Should help our chances.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Zizzo might be back on the Metro pitch after all:
https://www.atlutd.c...agent-sal-zizzo
At least when Atlanta comes to town.

Hahaha there goes the "Atlanta is the best run MLS franchise" narrative.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Hahaha there goes the "Atlanta is the best run MLS franchise" narrative.

Zizzo was ok sometimes. He hit the magical number of 30 so hes lucky to have landed somewhere. Problem was that he wasnt a starter let alone a CB you put in when you need a goal. That was on Jesse.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Zizzo was ok sometimes. He hit the magical number of 30 so hes lucky to have landed somewhere. Problem was that he wasnt a starter let alone a CB you put in when you need a goal. That was on Jesse.

He should have definitely not been put in that game.

Or just about any game for that matter.  Let's not gloss over Zizzo being bad now that he's gone. Dude stinks. I'm sure a nice guy and will root for him because of that, but he cost us games last year.  At positions other than CB too.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Zizzo was actually decent going forward providing service from wide advanced areas. That was true from the first game against Vancouver in CCL. 

But he's a massive liability in the back, and giving him a big role like in a 3-man backline was silly from Marsch. Know what you have.

I'm sad to see Veron go and that it took so long for Marsch to finally get what he had in Veron. Winger in our traditional 4-2-3-1?? No way. Winger in an advanced position or as a center forward? Yes. Obviously Veron as well was a moody guy who didn't seem to fit in that well with the team, but I do feel like the FO didn't scout him that well, and never really harnessed his underappreciated skillset. It also didn't help that most of the fanbase scapegoated him.   

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Zizzo was actually decent going forward providing service from wide advanced areas. That was true from the first game against Vancouver in CCL. 

But he's a massive liability in the back, and giving him a big role like in a 3-man backline was silly from Marsch. Know what you have.

I'm sad to see Veron go and that it took so long for Marsch to finally get what he had in Veron. Winger in our traditional 4-2-3-1?? No way. Winger in an advanced position or as a center forward? Yes. Obviously Veron as well was a moody guy who didn't seem to fit in that well with the team, but I do feel like the FO didn't scout him that well, and never really harnessed his underappreciated skillset. It also didn't help that most of the fanbase scapegoated him.   

I never picked that up from him.  Always upbeat, and handicapped by language hurdles ... he was the only spanish speaking guy in the building for a long time here, and a victim of our inability to implement the 4-2-2-2.     I still have concerns about BWP having someone next to him up top.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I never picked that up from him.  Always upbeat, and handicapped by language hurdles ... he was the only spanish speaking guy in the building for a long time here, and a victim of our inability to implement the 4-2-2-2.     I still have concerns about BWP having someone next to him up top.

I think the language thing could have been a huge barrier in terms of comfort, but he did seem out of sync with the rest of the guys on an emotional level, really until the second half of this year. Maybe moody is the right word, but sometimes when he came on the field he definitely seemed like a guy who was not all there. What irks me more is that the team invested so much into him in terms of money and time, and we were finally getting the results, and they moved on. I know he's not 21, but he was still young! 

I'm a big Veron guy. I also think Rivas is a step back in terms of quality. I also agree that BWP may not be suited to a two-man forward, which is why I think a 4-3-3 with Veron and Royer on the wings would have been an almost optimal set-up. I know back in Argentina Veron played a lot on the wing in that lineup, which didn't really translate to our 4-2-3-1 unless he was up top. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users