18 replies to this topic

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Just a heads up to anyone who parks in Newark for games like I do.  I parked on Raymond Blvd. alongside the park on Tuesday night.  Returned to find my driver's side rear window smashed and my car burglarized.  I had nothing valuable in the car.  The few things I had in my car got tossed all over the place but they only took a portable battery charger.   Based on what I saved parking in Newark over the years, I'm still ahead financially.  The biggest issue is waiting for the replacement window.   Just thought I would give a heads up for everyone to be careful about where you park and what you leave in the car.  It seems like that street by the park has gotten a little rougher this year.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

that sucks to hear.  the last few times i've driven in, i've just parked it in iberia. $10, but you get $10 off your tab at the bar, so essentially good for a couple of beers or sangrias. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Ah that sucks, I park over there too and never keep anything valuable in my car either. Is your car nicer? I've been debating buying a piece of crap car just to drive to games and Devils games and to park on the street in the city easier.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I used to live in Newark and I highly recommend NEVER parking on the street in Newark.  My car was severely damaged by residents of Newark, including having a window smashed in and massive dents all over the entire car.  Teenagers in Newark also like to steal cars, get chased by cops, and then crash the cars, just to have a little fun.  It's very common in Newark, which is why the car insurance is so high for residents.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Newark is no longer the car theft capital of the USA, but incidents like the one described by the OP are still common. 

The people who commit these smash & grabs know that nothing will happen to them, even if caught.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Newark is no longer the car theft capital of the USA, but incidents like the one described by the OP are still common. 

The people who commit these smash & grabs know that nothing will happen to them, even if caught.

I used to sit out on my front steps and watch teens in stolen cars get chased by cops, so if this is no longer a problem it must have changed very recently.  You are absolutely right that people who vandalize and burglarize cars in Newark have nothing to fear.  I tried reporting it to the police and they laughed in my face.  It's so common that they don't really care anymore.

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I used to live in Newark and I highly recommend NEVER parking on the street in Newark.  My car was severely damaged by residents of Newark, including having a window smashed in and massive dents all over the entire car.  Teenagers in Newark also like to steal cars, get chased by cops, and then crash the cars, just to have a little fun.  It's very common in Newark, which is why the car insurance is so high for residents.

they even made a movie about it!

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Ah that sucks, I park over there too and never keep anything valuable in my car either. Is your car nicer? I've been debating buying a piece of crap car just to drive to games and Devils games and to park on the street in the city easier.

VW Tiquan.  Not exactly high end.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

that sucks to hear.  the last few times i've driven in, i've just parked it in iberia. $10, but you get $10 off your tab at the bar, so essentially good for a couple of beers or sangrias. 

Nice!! Pay $10 to park and get $10 to drink. Get sloshed and drive home. How much of that money factors into paying for the DWI? 

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund

VW Tiquan.  Not exactly high end.

Going by your username, I would have guessed this.

1967_volkswagen_beetle-pic-49034.jpeg

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Apple: While Newark remains the car theft capital of NJ, MV thefts are down from >6,000 in 2001 & 2002, to <3,000 in the last couple of years, and will probably remain at that level this year.  Carjackings rose from a handful in past years, to hundreds in recent years, since cars without keys are now more difficult, if not impossible, to steal.   

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Just a heads up to anyone who parks in Newark for games like I do.  I parked on Raymond Blvd. alongside the park on Tuesday night.  Returned to find my driver's side rear window smashed and my car burglarized.  I had nothing valuable in the car.  The few things I had in my car got tossed all over the place but they only took a portable battery charger.   Based on what I saved parking in Newark over the years, I'm still ahead financially.  The biggest issue is waiting for the replacement window.   Just thought I would give a heads up for everyone to be careful about where you park and what you leave in the car.  It seems like that street by the park has gotten a little rougher this year.

sorry to hear.  Thanks for the heads up.  Saving $10 is a side benefit to being able to walk to you care and immediately pull away instead of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in a parking lot. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Shit!  Thanks for the warning!  

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

they even made a movie about it!

What would you grade it B Man?

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Nice!! Pay $10 to park and get $10 to drink. Get sloshed and drive home. How much of that money factors into paying for the DWI? 

if $10 worth of alcohol makes you legally unable to drive, you are either 1) under the age of 21, where any amount of alcohol in your blood is illegal, or 2) are a dwarf and your body becomes impaired with one sangria. Nice to meet you, Tyrion Lannister.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users