64 replies to this topic

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

This isnt like the NCAA tournament in college basketball.. where the best team doesn't  always necessarily win. You need a good old fashioned series to determine who the better team is. 

Thats why home and away games decided on aggregate work well for MLS playoffs. 

With 2 games to decide who moves on, the better teams are likely to come out on top. 

Its not like one team can just play for draws and advance on PKs. That strategy will eventually fizzle out. 

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You can write wall of text all you want, it is what it is.  Gotta win that cup :)

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Deep down in the hearts of everyone who reads this forum, we all know that playoffs are bullshit in soccer.

I agree but it is what it is here.  Ideally the SS winner is the real champion because it is harder to do over a longer period of time.  Let's take the EPL this year.  Chelsea will win it by a wide margin but we might have Arsenal win the FA Cup.  To me the MLS Playoff is like the FA Cup or post season tournament.  I even hate the fact they are called the MLS Cup "Champions" instead of MLS Cup "Winners".

However, here in the US playoffs are part of sports so we have to live with it and we won't be considered Champions until we win it.  Why do we fail?  There is not one single reason because each season is different.  

I think particularly last year it was a coaching problem in that Jesse didn't have a Plan B against Montreal.  He needs to develop a Plan B and Plan C during the season in scenarios where we are down and our striker is off form and the other team is defending well.  Maybe it would help if BWP/Sacha are given more rest during the season.  Maybe they don't need to play every game.  Give them some weekends off to spend time with their families.  That would also give more chances to other players and at the same time prepare them to be ready if they are needed in the playoffs.

We really only need to finish in the top 4.  Winning the Division doesn't mean anything as we have seen.  So we'll have an extra game to play, at home.  Who cares?

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I agree but it is what it is here.  Ideally the SS winner is the real champion because it is harder to do over a longer period of time.  Let's take the EPL this year.  Chelsea will win it by a wide margin but we might have Arsenal win the FA Cup.  To me the MLS Playoff is like the FA Cup or post season tournament.  I even hate the fact they are called the MLS Cup "Champions" instead of MLS Cup "Winners".

However, here in the US playoffs are part of sports so we have to live with it and we won't be considered Champions until we win it.  Why do we fail?  There is not one single reason because each season is different.  

I think particularly last year it was a coaching problem in that Jesse didn't have a Plan B against Montreal.  He needs to develop a Plan B and Plan C during the season in scenarios where we are down and our striker is off form and the other team is defending well.  Maybe it would help if BWP/Sacha are given more rest during the season.  Maybe they don't need to play every game.  Give them some weekends off to spend time with their families.  That would also give more chances to other players and at the same time prepare them to be ready if they are needed in the playoffs.

We really only need to finish in the top 4.  Winning the Division doesn't mean anything as we have seen.  So we'll have an extra game to play, at home.  Who cares?

You make it into CCL and get more money to use towards the cap, not making CCL screwed RSL

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You make it into CCL and get more money to use towards the cap, not making CCL screwed RSL

We don;t use the money we already have

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users