ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Bring back PETKE

Petke would have won an MLS cup at least once out of the last 3 seasons here at Metro. Because the one thing this team lacked in the last 3 years is to step on the throats of their opponents. Petke would have installed the killer instinct needed to win.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Petke would have won an MLS cup at least once out of the last 3 seasons here at Metro. Because the one thing this team lacked in the last 3 years is to step on the throats of their opponents. Petke would have installed the killer instinct needed to win.

Because rsl is tearing up the league

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I love Petke as much as anyone, but for every plus there's a minus.   The guy was not a great evaluator of talent, especially defenders.   I doubt Long would have thrived under him the way he has.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Petke's teams looked flat and uninspired waaaay more often than Marsch's. As passionate as Petke is, that never really translated on to the field.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Bring back PETKE

Mike deserves the opportunity to come back and eventually get fired on the merits. 😁

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Because rsl is tearing up the league

RSL has a bunch of scrubs and they are over achieving where they should be. On paper they had no business making the playoffs last year. If Petke had Metro from 2015-2018 this club would have won at least one MLS Cup. They would have beaten Chivas De Gaudalajara in the 2018 CCL semifinals.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

RSL has a bunch of scrubs and they are over achieving where they should be. On paper they had no business making the playoffs last year. If Petke had Metro from 2015-2018 this club would have won at least one MLS Cup. They would have beaten Chivas De Gaudalajara in the 2018 CCL semifinals.

Petke couldnt beat Fas in the champions league when he was rbny coach but you are claiming he would beaten Chivas...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Successful coaches generally fall into two categories - the ones who get the most out of low-budget talent (the save-them-from-relegation guys), and the guys who can handle top tier talent (the win championships guys).    Petke is, for me, clearly in the former group.   Its the reason you see guys like David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers fail when given a chance at a big money club.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Petke couldnt beat Fas in the champions league when he was rbny coach but you are claiming he would beaten Chivas...

We couldn't even beat dog shit Houston at home in the playoffs when he was here.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Jesse was the best coach we've had and likely will have had for some time.  

That's both just my opinion and pure conjecture but I will stand by it.

Going to have to come to terms with that, I reckon, until proven (hopefully) wrong going forward.

I will back Armas until/if it all goes tits up, and if this time comes Wolly has earned the right for consideration if not the outright logical choice.

Excellence Not Expectations

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

We couldn't even beat dog shit Houston at home in the playoffs when he was here.

Very different rosters. Not like the only difference was the manager.

Not an endorsement or a critique, just stating the obvious.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Very different rosters. Not like the only difference was the manager.

Not an endorsement or a critique, just stating the obvious.

That year pisses me off more than probably any other cause Houston was horrendous. We had a 2-0 lead on the road at halftime, Olave gets a stupid straight red and then we give up a tying goal in fucking stoppage time to shitty Omar Cummings who also scored against us in extra time in the second leg with the ball barely crossing the damn line. I'm still mad.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Jesse was the best coach we've had and likely will have had for some time.  

That's both just my opinion and pure conjecture but I will stand by it.

Going to have to come to terms with that, I reckon, until proven (hopefully) wrong going forward.

I will back Armas until/if it all goes tits up, and if this time comes Wolly has earned the right for consideration if not the outright logical choice.

Jesse did a great job, but Petke in two seasons won a shield and got to conf finals. Jesse did very similar in his first two seasons. In the third season he and Armas combined for the shield and another Conf Final exit. These are all good achievements, but Petke did that too. And was closer to winning the conf final than Jesse was. And Petke got the first ever shield (or any trophy) for Metro. Kudos to Jesse, but let's not shit all over Petke here, who basically did the same thing and got fired.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

That year pisses me off more than probably any other cause Houston was horrendous. We had a 2-0 lead on the road at halftime, Olave gets a stupid straight red and then we give up a tying goal in fucking stoppage time to shitty Omar Cummings who also scored against us in extra time in the second leg with the ball barely crossing the damn line. I'm still mad.

You forgot the part where Ibrahim Sekagya thought the Red Bulls were wearing orange jerseys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users