111 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Homer alert. Clear foul on a defender's wild reach, always going to get called.

Soft foul, and a lame dive. Sure, could have been called, but in most case won't be. Heck, just last week Royer was clobbered in the box and neither the field ref nor the VAR ref called it. This was way softer than that.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Spot on.

Tons of decent keepers in this country. And with Thelwell and RB global behind us it shouldnt be a problem to find one.

Shouldnt be. But probably will be.

I have no problem with Meara/Jensen as a combo. Was worried when we lost Robles, but GK position has been the least of our concerns. Meara is glass, and there is a bit of drop off from Meara to Jensen, but it's not enormous and both are solid GKs. Do you think even say Robles concedes a lot fewer goals than our GKs did this year if he stayed? I doubt it. Maybe even more.

Thelwell needs to focus more on upgrading other positions. We need a good starting striker. We need a starting right mid. We should upgrade CDM. Starting left wing. There is a lot of positions to focus on, and GK isn't one of them.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Worst part for me was Egbo waltzing back on D. And when the attacker was headed toward goal he just gave up.  Then got congratulated by the coach when he was subbed.   Egbo seems a good player but I don't think he fits into the RB high energy lineup.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I have no problem with Meara/Jensen as a combo. Was worried when we lost Robles, but GK position has been the least of our concerns. Meara is glass, and there is a bit of drop off from Meara to Jensen, but it's not enormous and both are solid GKs. Do you think even say Robles concedes a lot fewer goals than our GKs did this year if he stayed? I doubt it. Maybe even more.

The issue that I have with Jensen is that he is basically the definition of average, and he takes up a foreign player spot. There are equally good Americans out there, for cheaper, who wouldn't count towards that.

Robles was falling off a cliff performance-wise and people were reluctant to take notice because they liked him. He's the 7th-worst keeper in the league this season in terms of xG, 5th-worst among starters.

Like with BWP, who would be having an awful season here, despite how well he's done in LA, moving on from Robles was the right decision. The guys meant to replace him have just been, generously, uninspiring.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Thelwell needs to focus more on upgrading other positions. We need a good starting striker. We need a starting right mid. We should upgrade CDM. Starting left wing. There is a lot of positions to focus on, and GK isn't one of them.

IMO goalkeeper is an easy position to fill. I dont know why it would take away from other signings.

At the very least Id like a legit young talent brought in.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You're right that Jensen hasn't been punished for his mistakes so far this year, but mistakes are mistakes and you have to figure its a matter of time. He's a good shot stopper but looks hesitant every time he comes off his line and takes strange angles when he does. 

He's not our biggest problem for sure, and it wouldn't be a disaster to keep him around, but I'm with Koko that you'd hope they could get someone of similar quality without an international spot and (I assume based on age and experience) a high salary.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

You mean that wasn't the NJ Mens League playing at RBA last night?  
Dang I got fooled again

It was... and we lost to them.

2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users