231 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts
  • Supports:Metro

My biggest concern with Casseres playing there is that last yr and in '19, he wasn't always careful with the ball, and would lose it in the middle third or the defensive third. 

Always careful? He is never careful. 8th percentile in MLS for pass completion over the past year, only 77%.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Always careful? He is never careful. 8th percentile in MLS for pass completion over the past year, only 77%.

Damn, was never a fan of his passing but thought it would be better than that.  It's not like he's a crazy aggressive passer either which would kind of excuse some of it.

This system can't survive a bad offensive player at that 10 spot so hopefully we figure out something.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Davis wasnt much better at pass completion in the 14th percentile at 79%. With those two you can see why playing Strubers version of midfield tiki taka is going to be a challenge.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Davis wasnt much better at pass completion in the 14th percentile at 79%. With those two you can see why playing Strubers version of midfield tiki taka is going to be a challenge.

Just adding some context.  In SKC our midfield had the following pass %s.

Davis 76%

Diarra 68%

CCJ 63%

Clark 68%

And with my eyes Davis was playing the greatest proportion of passes forward among that group.  In this system pass percentages will be low because its supposed to be more high risk with key that we win ball back quickly after losing it.

BUT 63% is way to low especially because i dont remember CCJ trying any progressive passes, whereas Clark was trying a couple through balls.  Diarra I thought wasnt great on ball and this supports that somewhat but he was good at blocking passing lanes.

link

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,440 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Begs the question then, is there anyone on the roster that can block passing lanes as well as Diarra? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Begs the question then, is there anyone on the roster that can block passing lanes as well as Diarra? 

We do have a fringe player who is in the 92nd percentile in the league for interceptions, 89th for blocks, plus a not-bad 76th percentile for aerials won.

https://fbref.com/en...cac9/Sean-Davis

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

OK - I'm going to ask - where the hell is everyone pulling these percentages from? Do you guys have a direct feed from the man-bras everyone wears?

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

I feel like adding "I keep thinking Duncan drifts out of games, but I am calculating only a 2 percentile ADHD coefficient... not shabby" but I am starting to think you guys are citing real stats. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

I did notice that Gutman's arms are in the 94th percentile for length... I prefer my defenders to be below 50, or even better, armless. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We do have a fringe player who is in the 92nd percentile in the league for interceptions, 89th for blocks, plus a not-bad 76th percentile for aerials won.

https://fbref.com/en...cac9/Sean-Davis

Davis will always fail my eye test at holding mid because of those mediocre tackle and pressure percentages. He never feels like a presence there because he doesn't close in fast and hound the ball like most elite holding mids do. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

OK - I'm going to ask - where the hell is everyone pulling these percentages from? Do you guys have a direct feed from the man-bras everyone wears?

https://fbref.com/en/players/

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Davis will always fail my eye test at holding mid because of those mediocre tackle and pressure percentages. He never feels like a presence there because he doesn't close in fast and hound the ball like most elite holding mids do. 

if pirlo can play as a dmc surrounded by more athletic CM partners Davis can too lol.  But the second you put a Valot and Casseres next to him he has to do too much defensively.  Davis when he has a refined space to cover is really good at breaking up play and playing the pass before the key pass to split lines.  He's been apart of some of our better teams for a reason. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,440 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

But look at who played along side him from '15-'18, 3 guys that wore the captain's armband and the best wingb...er...CDM this team's ever seen. Davis was trusted, cuz Marsch had 2 guys he trusted (one he coached, the other a teammate) to surround Davis, plus he had Dax too.  

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

https://fbref.com/en/players/

thanks

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

all im saying is when Diarra was on the field with him Davis was really good in the 1st half.  And if i had to remove one midfielder from the starting lineup he would not be my first choice to bench (it would be CCJ).  Davis on the ball allows us to have a bit more control of tempo and precision in our transition. 

In an ideal world Frankie or someone else can do what Davis does and our need for him goes away.  But until I see that Davis probably has a role to play here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users