170 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He's out of contract at the end of the year.  If a team wants him now, they have to pay.  They won't have to pay much, but a transfer now should involve a fee.

If the money offered is weak then it is probably better to get a full season out of him. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

If the money offered is weak then it is probably better to get a full season out of him. 

That's a decision that Struber and Thelwell would have to make, but, yeah, I could see that happening if the $$ offered was low.  Especially with how thin the back line is now.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Agreed. If he wants to go, having him here for the playoffs is probably better than the couple hundred thousand we might get.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Agreed. If he wants to go, having him here for the playoffs is probably better than the couple hundred thousand we might get.

Corporate thinks the couple hundred thousand is better.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,478 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

"PLAYOFFS?!?! YOU KIDDIN ME?"

-Jim Mora, Sr. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Interesting tweet by @ronalgringo tonight 

I am buying more and more into the idea that Duncan, who imo is a great player, is a bad enough fit for Struber that selling him over the winter wouldn't have been a bad move. Especially with one year left on his contract.

Tonight Duncan was better than he's been in awhile, but even so look at how little he's able to actually connect with the front line. Every scouting report we had on Struber was that he relies on his fullbacks to feed crosses in and that's just not Duncan's game. He combines really well with the midfield, but what good does that do when the midfield can't connect with the front line either?

Rough situation for Duncan and Thelwell to find themselves in now at this stage of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan walk at the end of the year to try his hand in lower Euro divisions again.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,478 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Duncan will leave at the end of the season, since he hasn't re-signed with the team and his contract is expiring after this yr. Signed in 2018, prob has the standard 2yrs + 2option yrs contract. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Duncan has his issues but he's just about the least of our problems. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

This. I understand that he doesnt fit strubers/Red Bulls stupid fucking system but we could have a MUCH worse RB.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Definitely didn't mean to suggest Duncan is at or near the top of that list, just came across a tweet that I thought made an interesting point

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Struber isnt going anywhere, theyve already admitted defeat on this season. They absolutely have to get him the right players in the winter and hope he comes good.

People have been pointing out the issue with Duncan for a while now. Offensively if he isnt dribbling past guys, which is rare, hes an absolute black hole at normal fullback stuff. Poor crosser, no connectivity to the forwards.

Well its funny.

Cause they keep saying trust the system. And no matter who they sign the theory is that the next coach should be able to make it work.

But then they sign Duncan and we start blaming him that he doesnt fit the system?

So why did we sign him then?

Its all bullshit.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Duncan was brought in on the cheap because he was a former academy product who failed in Europe. He was nothing more than a rarely used backup until Murillo fell out of favor and then was sold. Connor Lade was playing RB over him for a bit

On the subject of the midfield they are stuck with so many poor fits for the diamond at all three positions (6,8,10). They are going to need to sign a 10, and then at least another 6. While Davis has done a decent job theres a reason Diarra started game 1 at the 6 and Tom Edwards got a cameo when we had healthy CBs. I think Struber sees Davis higher up the field but is forced to play him at the 6

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Duncan was brought in on the cheap because he was a former academy product who failed in Europe. He was nothing more than a rarely used backup until Murillo fell out of favor and then was sold. Connor Lade was playing RB over him for a bit

So starting players are brought in to fit the system but bench players are not?

Also, if the system is a real thing, then when he became the first option at RB he should have been immediately dropped and replaced because he doesnt fit.

But he wasnt.

Cause the system narrative is absolute bullshit.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
I dont think Duncan was intended to start at all this season. With Edwards visa issues keeping him out of preseason training and then the CB crisis hes gotten 1 match at RB.

I would hope if RBNY had 2 available CBs not named Amro Tarek that Edwards would be playing RB over Duncan but that might not happen this season.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I dont think Duncan was intended to start at all this season. With Edwards visa issues keeping him out of preseason training and then the CB crisis hes gotten 1 match at RB.

I would hope if RBNY had 2 available CBs not named Amro Tarek that Edwards would be playing RB over Duncan but that might not happen this season.

I think the fact that Struber started Valot at right back over Duncan supports the idea Struber didnt intend for Duncan to be the starter this season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users