269 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What about Mark deGrandpa? Seems the dude is grandfathered into RB and just wont leave.

Fun Flashback:   https://sbisoccer.co...endance-numbers

As much as I am baffled by Hamlet's invincibility, there's this guy leading the parade.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Theres probably not even a point for this team to have a non sporting side general manager. Coasting and cashing checks.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Professional sports teams infrequently come up for sale, absent financial hardship.    Ownership is most commonly  based on ego/vanity and love for the sport, with a genuine desire to compete and be successful.    Billionaires are almost universally competitive SoBs.   The teams are much more toys than investments, though like many rich people toys, they serve well as both.  Dieter owns soccer teams and sponsors the stuff he sponsors because he thinks they are cool and hopes his market also thinks they're cool.   

Billionaire owners are making money hand over fist from the big sports teams.  You are right they only are sold because of hardship because they are so valuable and ultimatley profitable that they are only sold when something else is going wrong for the owners.  The Billionaire owners want fans to believe they own the teams to compete and because they love sports but they are really in it because it is a great way to make money.  No billionaire owner is stupid enough to say he bought the team purely as an investment, even though that is the truth in most cases. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,700 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Billionaire owners are making money hand over fist from the big sports teams.  You are right they only are sold because of hardship because they are so valuable and ultimatley profitable that they are only sold when something else is going wrong for the owners.  The Billionaire owners want fans to believe they own the teams to compete and because they love sports but they are really in it because it is a great way to make money.  No billionaire owner is stupid enough to say he bought the team purely as an investment, even though that is the truth in most cases. 

I worked for an aspiring billionaire about 20 years ago, Henry Silverman, who wanted to buy the Yankees.   He was close, but then his company blew up (he's still worth a few hundred million).  The guy was the crankiest, least friendly human being on the planet.  The only time he smiled or seemed get any joy out of life was when he talked about baseball.  He later took what was for him the equivalent of a minimum wage job, working for the Dodgers.    The end game for these guys is buying a team.  That's what drives them to make their billions.   They are almost universally passionate fans and deeply competitive.     When these guys buy a $2M supercar,  it will likely go up in value, but he bought it as a toy and a trophy first, and an investment second.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I worked for an aspiring billionaire ...

Aren't we all aspiring billionaires?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I worked for an aspiring billionaire about 20 years ago, Henry Silverman, who wanted to buy the Yankees.   He was close, but then his company blew up (he's still worth a few hundred million).  The guy was the crankiest, least friendly human being on the planet.  The only time he smiled or seemed get any joy out of life was when he talked about baseball.  He later took what was for him the equivalent of a minimum wage job, working for the Dodgers.    The end game for these guys is buying a team.  That's what drives them to make their billions.   They are almost universally passionate fans and deeply competitive.     When these guys buy a $2M supercar,  it will likely go up in value, but he bought it as a toy and a trophy first, and an investment second.

If Red Bull NY were a trophy dont you think hed be seen around the place more often?

We have a unique owner in that he has many MANY toys. Hell, hes got 4 soccer teams! Maybe you have 4 guitars but you only play 3 of them and the 4th just sits in the closet. Thats us.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Good thing we didn't have a home game last night, that would have been our 3rd canceled game of the season.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts

Good thing we didn't have a home game last night, that would have been our 3rd canceled game of the season.

Get used to it. Its only gonna get worse over the years.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,125 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The end game for these guys is buying a team.

Every lad in England wants to grow up to own the club he supported as a child.
Some actually accomplish it. Even Elton John.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The end game for these guys is buying a team.  That's what drives them to make their billions.   They are almost universally passionate fans and deeply competitive.     

Some are definitely passionate. Certainly doesn't apply to everyone, though. Plenty are doing it for status/money and not for fun/winning necessarily.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

My favorite mantra from certain beat writers over the past few years every time a pursuit fell through - "well it's great to see that they're trying!"

Hopefully they put in bids for CR7, Messi and Mbappe, too!

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,496 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

You can't build a team around a bunch of 22-year-olds. The Marsch era was textbook MLS team building: take a team of MLS veterans and AUGMENT it with pieces where needed. Now we have a bunch of transients.

Agree.. the formula is usually to have a good spine. We have too many guys trying to find themselves.

They are talented kids but need a vet to guide them in MLS. Right now the kids look like a squirrel chasing a nut instead of a soccer team.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
https://www.onceamet...1Mo_Z_UWL3PpbOI

Thinking about the future. 2022 MLS Champs?

LONG LIVE METRO

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,182 posts

https://www.onceamet...1Mo_Z_UWL3PpbOI

Thinking about the future. 2022 MLS Champs?

Same old excuses.

The tough questions weren't asked (or answered?)

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Same old excuses.

The tough questions weren't asked (or answered?)

I feel like we got some answers to the tough questions, I just don't agree with the answers.

As to why we aren't signing guys in the prime of their career, Thelwell seems to genuinely think that young guys give the team the best shot at winning and cited a number of players in their early 20's that helped Wolves gain promotion.

As to why we sat idle throughout the summer, he was hesitant to make any signings because it may hinder the development of guys they already have and it was unlikely new players would get visas in time to meaningfully contribute anyway.

This interview feels so similar to ones Ali Curtis gave when he took over in 2015. Main goal is to pump up the youth pipeline again after Hamlett let it rot. Only difference is Curtis found a way to win while doing so, while Thelwell is totally cool tanking one or more seasons to see out his vision. I think this may ultimately be his downfall, because its super hard to develop talent when there is no experience or winning culture for the kids to latch on to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users