560 replies to this topic

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Acosta and Adams play the same role and Adams is MUCH better at it. I think its safer to sit on one and rotate when needed. Or to have one available on the bench to close out games.

AMEN!!! More Adams and less Acosta please.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

He is a good recruiter and i know he knows tactics but team selection question marks.

I have said the same thing on more than one occasion since Berhalter took over. Having players fill in out of position based on need is understandable, doing it on a whim or to just get the best 11 players on the field isn't. I wonder if Klinsi left his copy of "Team Selection for Dummies" in the manager's office when he departed? 

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

Acosta and Adams play the same role and Adams is MUCH better at it. I think its safer to sit on one and rotate when needed. Or to have one available on the bench to close out games.

Acosta is good at getting under the other team's skin which translates well to playing in CONCACAF road games.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Supports:Metro

For me, if Adams is healthy, there is no way you leave him off the team. He should play every minute. I think he's probably just about the captain. If its a decision between Adams or Acosta, its Adams for me every day and Adams has to be CDM (not RB)

I just saw a lot hard, but clean (or borderline clean) challenges from Acosta. In Concacaf in particular, I like that. I get some Felipe vibes from Acosta that has to bug the shit out of you if you are an opponent. If you can find a way to play them both, I'm not against it. 

Side note, i could have sworn Pulisic yelled "Tyler!" on his way off the the field while tossing the captains armband.  

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,492 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

Acosta is a good backup to Adams.  Start him occasionally, we can't rely on Adams starting 3 games every window. Acosta can also play RB or LB if needed.  He's versatile, like a defensive Lletget.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,478 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I love this. 

Coo Coo Catchoo, our two robinsons, the nation turns its lonely eyes to you, woo woo woo

And here's to you, our two robinsons, heaven holds a place for those who play, for USA

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

I doubt that any team thinks that a game is over at half time, especially with a 1-0 lead.

Start crappy to finish better is not a strategy.

I said unintentional, not an intentional strategy.  The US looked so dominant in the second half, because they were (relative to the first half) that much better. The game has two teams - the US isnt operating in a vacuum.  Honduras thought they had the US understood after that first half, and were clearly caught off guard by the formation change. I'm not sure the solution is as simple for Berhalter as "do what you did that second half, but for both halves." I think the effects of Berhalter's change in formation and personnel was magnified because they started so poorly. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,807 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I doubt that any team thinks that a game is over at half time, especially with a 1-0 lead.

We seem to, often

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

No matter the final result tonight, FIFA ranks us #10 in the world! Thats something, right?

Down to #13 after these 3 WCQs:
https://soccer.nbcsp...kings-list/amp/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

After these qualifiers, Tyler Adams assumes mantle of permanent captain. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,329 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
JAM 10/7, @ PAN 10/10, CR 10/13.
JAM & CR on ESPN, @PAN on Paramount+
https://ussoccerplay...le-usmnt-soccer
https://www.ussoccer...4bkdax6g4jl4f10
https://www.ussoccer...fying-tv-rights

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

No Pulisic, no Reyna, no John Brooks, no Josh Sergeant, no Jordan Prefok, no Tim Ream (lol).

Fingers crossed that this Pepi kid is for real

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I just heard that Michail Antonio from West Ham is playing for Jamaica.  He automatically becomes one of the best, if not the best, strikers in CONCACAF.  He will be a handful for our defenders to contain.

I'm hoping Sunday's game in Panama is on one of the Spanish language channels.  If not, it may be time to look into a free trial of Paramount.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I just heard that Michail Antonio from West Ham is playing for Jamaica.  He automatically becomes one of the best, if not the best, strikers in CONCACAF.  He will be a handful for our defenders to contain.

I'm hoping Sunday's game in Panama is on one of the Spanish language channels.  If not, it may be time to look into a free trial of Paramount.

doesnt say much when most of concacaf strikers are awful or have question marks due to health issues. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

doesnt say much when most of concacaf strikers are awful or have question marks due to health issues. 

You might be right, especially if Jimenez is not back to 100%.  Best striker in CONCACAF is a low bar.  But Antonio is good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users