179 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I have friends who made their first trip to RBA their last because of how bad the PATH was getting back

If the only problem was the PATH, how hard would it have been for them to explore transit alternatives?
Even TH took the PATH to a game.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,036 posts

If the only problem was the PATH, how hard would it have been for them to explore transit alternatives?

No one is saying it is the greatest issue or the only issue, but it is an issue like it or not.

One that hasn't been discussed is that while I have two season tickets (I used to have 4 for almost 20 seasons), getting friends to go with me has always been a spotty affair. There is only so much time i want to devote to finding someone to join me, so half the time my second seat goes empty.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

No one is saying it is the greatest issue or the only issue, but it is an issue like it or not.

One that hasn't been discussed is that while I have two season tickets (I used to have 4 for almost 20 seasons), getting friends to go with me has always been a spotty affair. There is only so much time i want to devote to finding someone to join me, so half the time my second seat goes empty.

I went from 4 to 3 for that reason, and if they were more expensive, I'd have gone down to 2.   Half the games, the third seat is for coats and breathing room.  They were very unhappy when I went to three, because they can't sell the single seat between us and the neighbors.  If I ever need a fourth (once or twice a year) I just grab the cheapest ticket I can and know the seat next to us will be empty.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,106 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You're still looking at this through the lens of people being 100% dedicated to go and just needing to find a way there. Henry had no choice but to get to the stadium somehow, so sure why not the PATH.

I think the rest of us are talking more about the people who would be on the fence about going or may even need a push. Those are the people who are understandably deterred by the commute.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

while I have two season tickets ... getting friends to go with me has always been a spotty affair. ... half the time my second seat goes empty.

Make new friends!
https://quoteinvesti...o-tickets-shaw/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

You're still looking at this through the lens of people being 100% dedicated to go and just needing to find a way there.

Those are the fans we need! Not tourists or half-hearted supporters. Metrofanatics!

people who would be on the fence about going or may even need a push ... are ... deterred by the commute.

Bah! Millions make miserable commutes to/from work every weekday. They are the people I feel sorry for.
Getting to the stadium environs early & pre-gaming 20 times each season, and waiting until the dust clears after the game, to travel back home, should not be a deterrent. If anything, that should extend and enhance the game day experience!

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Those are the fans we need! Not tourists or half-hearted supporters. Metrofanatics!

Come on, you know fanatics are not necessarily created overnight, but are often people who dabble for a game or two, then come back for more, bring friends, become STHs, etc.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

fanatics are not necessarily created overnight

Metrofanatics are sprung from the womb!
Dyed in the wool!
Created, not cultivated!

people ... dabble for a game or two, then come back for more, bring friends, become STHs, etc.

How much progress have some made, over 23 seasons?
Have not caught Metro Fever by now? They never will!
More trouble than worth, if and when they do show up!

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Location does matter.  RBA is in an OK, not great spot and Harrison itself is actually loads better than what it was when RBA first opened.  The commute, while a problem, isn't THE problem.   And RBNY has a bigger issue holding onto fans rather than getting people to give them a chance in the first place.

This idea that a soccer arena sells itself to the NYC populace never made sense to me by the way.  This is NY, we're not exactly wowed by new venues or Citi Field would be sold out every night.  You gotta win championships here, do it with star power, and be the club that resonates with NY'ers.  We're cup-less, have zero recognizable star power (sorry, it's true) and the branding is a turn off to many soccer fans as it is.  All of it matters, all of it.

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Location does matter. 

Where else could RBA have been located?
NYC cannot even find a spot.

RBNY has a bigger issue holding onto fans rather than getting people to give them a chance in the first place.

It would be interesting to learn how many people have attended at least one RB home game at RBA. Over 23 seasons, it must be well over 100,000.
We know that the number who regularly return are much less. Perhaps 10,000 attend a large number of home games annually, despite the legion of problems asserted.
Somewhere in between, is the number that might attend frequently, if everything went their way.
What is it, that they want? A championship? Annual championships? A reserved parking space inside the arena? Free beer? Lap dances from Red Bull Girls?
What can realistically by provided?

This idea that a soccer arena sells itself to the NYC populace never made sense to me by the way. 

It is A selling point, not The selling point.

we're not exactly wowed by new venues or Citi Field would be sold out every night. 

Final season at Shea had highest Mets ticket sales!
https://www.baseball...YM/attend.shtml

You gotta win championship here, do it with star power, and be the club that resonates with NY'ers. 

The same for most clubs, worldwide. There are many reports on declines in attendance for relegated teams. Even those who boast of sold out stadiums often suffer turnstile drop, as fans eat unused season tickets.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Where else could RBA have been located? 
NYC cannot even find a spot.

I'm not saying it is the worst location in the world, but I wish they would have gone all on the Queens location they were kicking around in the early/mid 2000's.  I think mentally it's easier to get NYC to the boroughs than Jersey.   The Flushing Airport idea was kind of cool too, but that's water under the bridge.  We're in Harrison, we're not leaving Harrison for the next 20+ years.

We know that the number who regularly return are much less. Perhaps 10,000 attend a large number of home games annually, despite the legion of problems asserted. 
Somewhere in between, is the number that might attend frequently, if everything went their way. 
What is it, that they want? A championship? Annual championships? A reserved parking space inside the arena? Free beer? Lap dances from Red Bull Girls? 
What can realistically by provided? 

I think this city pays attention to teams that win with stars as the foundation.  We really don't know what type of popularity this club can attract from the rank and file New Yorker with a championship under our belt.  I have some bad news...no one in this country really cares about the shield.  Hardcore supporters like us do, but we've established that alone isn't enough to fill a stadium.

So to me, you need some "pop" in the roster, good quality football and championships.  You also need to force yourself into the collective conscious of this region.  That's done with marketing and recognizable talent.  I'd like to start there, see how the crowds are with MLS Cup and needlemovers, since that's the most "on-field" thing they can control.  And i don't mean an over the hill guy either...I mean a couple of guys in their 20's that can carry this thing for a few years with talented young guys to complement.  I love the Atlanta model, don't get me wrong, I'd be willing to try it.  But I do think we need some name power to attract fans.  It needs to be a "THING" to go to a Metro match.  That happens with star power and championships.

The final thing we need is to remove the "ick" factor of our branding. That's the EASIEST thing we can fix.  I think that is one of the biggest turnoffs to the fans of south/central American and european soccer.   Aka, the large expat community in the city that follows football.  We need them to adopt us as their "other club". 

We're an advertisement, that does not help us connect to potential fans in this region either.  Soccer is hugely popular among my age group and younger.  But they gravitate to European clubs and snub their nose at 'Red Bulls'.  I don't think that's as big of a deterrent in other cities, given what Seattle, Atlanta, Portland, Kansas City are attracting.  Hell, even DCU seems to be "back".  That city really got behind them this year too.  .  

The soda can brigade can try and act like that's not a problem, but it is and will be.  It is a huge mental barrier for people to get over, especially football purists.  It makes recruiting and retaining fans so much more difficult.  

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,183 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm not saying it is the worst location in the world, but I wish they would have gone all on the Queens location they were kicking around in the early/mid 2000's.  I think mentally it's easier to get NYC to the boroughs than Jersey.   The Flushing Airport idea was kind of cool too, but that's water under the bridge.  We're in Harrison, we're not leaving Harrison for the next 20+ years.

I think this city pays attention to teams that win with stars as the foundation.  We really don't know what type of popularity this club can attract from the rank and file New Yorker with a championship under our belt.  I have some bad news...no one in this country really cares about the shield.  Hardcore supporters like us do, but we've established that alone isn't enough to fill a stadium.

So to me, you need some "pop" in the roster, good quality football and championships.  You also need to force yourself into the collective conscious of this region.  That's done with marketing and recognizable talent.  I'd like to start there, see how the crowds are with MLS Cup and needlemovers, since that's the most "on-field" thing they can control.  And i don't mean an over the hill guy either...I mean a couple of guys in their 20's that can carry this thing for a few years with talented young guys to complement.  I love the Atlanta model, don't get me wrong, I'd be willing to try it.  But I do think we need some name power to attract fans.  It needs to be a "THING" to go to a Metro match.  That happens with star power and championships.

The final thing we need is to remove the "ick" factor of our branding. That's the EASIEST thing we can fix.  I think that is one of the biggest turnoffs to the fans of south/central American and european soccer.   Aka, the large expat community in the city that follows football.  We need them to adopt us as their "other club". 

We're an advertisement, that does not help us connect to potential fans in this region either.  Soccer is hugely popular among my age group and younger.  But they gravitate to European clubs and snub their nose at 'Red Bulls'.  I don't think that's as big of a deterrent in other cities, given what Seattle, Atlanta, Portland, Kansas City are attracting.  Hell, even DCU seems to be "back".  That city really got behind them this year too.  .  

The soda can brigade can try and act like that's not a problem, but it is and will be.  It is a huge mental barrier for people to get over, especially football purists.  It makes recruiting and retaining fans so much more difficult.  

You will never concede this, but your personal feelings about "the ick factor" are very much a minority opinion.    RB is a hugely popular, successful brand, with a very positive connection to people of a certain age and younger.   For everyone seeing it as a negative, there is an equal or greater number who see it as a positive.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Cosmos model + Atlanta model + NYRB Academy local talent model
Location is a problem anywhere in this region as NJ, NYC Queens LI or Westchedter each have own issues.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

As far as big names go....we had THIERRY HENRY come here straight from Barcelona. And played here for 4 years. And even went back to loan on Arsenal when he was here. Its not like he was 50 years old and washed up. Messi and Ronaldo aside, you cant get a much bigger name than that.

I don't think the "Red Bull" brand is that big a deal. Its not perfect, but I dont think it turns off that many people. I became a fan in 2010 and I didn't even think about the Red Bull brand at all until i started reading forums like this. I understand it's different if you were a fan before the rebrand, but I don't think new fans care as much. Red Bull has a lot of sports teams around the world outside of soccer too, including a hockey and F1 racing team. I guess it's seen as more normal with the younger generation.

Its a combination of reasons, but the biggest factor IMO is that this club literally did no marketing up until maybe a year or 2 ago. Nothing. You could walk around New York City for an entire year and not see one thing related to the Red Bulls. That makes it hard for people to connect to the club IMO

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

You will never concede this, but your personal feelings about "the ick factor" are very much a minority opinion.    RB is a hugely popular, successful brand, with a very positive connection to people of a certain age and younger.   For everyone seeing it as a negative, there is an equal or greater number who see it as a positive.   

How young are we talking? I'm 25 and I say fuck having your team named after a corporation, and although I get how it works in individual sports like snowboarding, racing, etc I find the concept of having your team named after a soft-drink abhorrent. It has played a major factor in curbing how much time/money I've spent on this team. 

I can also say anytime someone has asked me what team I follow, there is almost always a negative reaction to our name, ranging from mild amusement to pure disdain. Similar to what many have said about nothing being 'the factor' either in terms of drawing or repulsing fans, I think this is definitely a factor that has limited the team's ability to draw in fans and keep them. 

I specifically think it is the very personalities who would drive game-day experience and a sense of shared community, the type of people who could help create more of a culture around the team,  who are driven away by the name. I'd hazard a guess that people who want to jump around and scream for ninety minutes and pour their heart and soul into something would find it hard to do so while shouting the name of a giant corporation.

Just my take/two cents, but what do I know, I'm just a dumb millennial and the soccer has the youngest viewership/following of any sport in the U.S... 

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users