#17 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

his absence meant that we went from 60% soccer/ 40% Maxim-wrestling news to 0% soccer news. (I'm not counting Sam Stejeskal because I don't think many people actually read him... and he's not even on the Trib site)..

If you ignore Sam then you're ignoring the fact that we started getting more news when Luis left. Luis is the more entertaining and refined read, but he had a LOT less content and info. You can read all of the Redcard Fire entries for 2008 in a sitting, I'm not kidding. Now it was different in 2007 when Blanco was getting signed, but things went downhill after that season, fast. It was thin and lacking. Between Sam and Charlie (who joined the game late granted) we had a veritable cornucopia of Fire content this year compared to what Luis gave us in '08.

#18 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:29 AM

I'm terrible at keeping up with any of the blogs. :(

#19 AccountDeleted1

AccountDeleted1

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

If the Hammer is what kept Luis away, that is at least one reason that I will miss him.

ZING!!!

#20 ciudadcentral

ciudadcentral

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

We go from a guy who would rather cover nightclub "news" to a high-school kid and now back to the nightclubber?

Pathetic.

Here's an idea: just cover the news: cover the game, get the names right, get the stats right.

But if you're going to start covering all the behind-the-scenes "news" there is no end: you've got to tell everyone that Blanco was hungover at practice, the coach refers to you as "shithead", etc.

Here's some news Luis can cover: many people, many Fire fans think he's a lousy writer and the Tribune owes us someone who can cover the sport. There's two or three columns right there.

#21 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

You know, Steve Rosenbloom is a pretty shitty writer and the Trib pays him loads to cover more prominent teams in Chicago than the Fire.

Luis isn't the best writer in history, fine. He's probably writing about the Fire on his own time (i.e. not getting paid). He has a different perspective than most of us on the events of the last 5 years. The last article, while very harsh, was enlightening.

What are we complaining about again?

#22 ImSeeinRed

ImSeeinRed

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Supports:CF97, Man U, Celtic, Stockport Cty

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Posted Image
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

#23 jtelly

jtelly

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Milan

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

The great thing about the internet is that now, any of you who want to write a better blog than those out there, can!
All you have to do is make the effort.
Fire news sucks? go out to practice and find something better.
I await the brilliance

#24 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

Whoa. Luis lays it out here.

http://blogs.chicago...q-a-part-2.html

Who would be your ideal DP for the Fire? – Joe
I don’t think the Fire will get a designated player this offseason. Call it a gut feeling.

Andrew Hauptman doesn't seem like the type of owner who will throw around money just for the hell of it. He likely would only sign a big name player if it makes sense financially. Plus the Fire might want to keep their options open in case Blanco decides to come back.

Please tell me the Fire isn’t really considering Tom Soehn? – Luis Arroyave
OK, I’m going to be honest -- I’m the Luis Arroyave who wrote that question. I just can’t believe that Soehn is one of the leading candidates for the job...

FRIEND: So what does the Fire need in a coach?
YOU: They need someone who can give the organization more than just a trip to the conference final. Someone who can take the team to an MLS Cup final for the first time since 2003. Someone who can re-energize the team.
FRIEND: Makes sense. Who is the Fire considering?
YOU:Tom Soehn.
FRIEND: Let me get this straight. One of the leading candidates for the Fire job is a coach who took D.C. to the playoffs once in three seasons even though more than half the teams in MLS make the post-season?
YOU: Well, he did lead D.C. to the best regular season record in 2007. Then again, they didn’t make the MLS Cup finals that year.
FRIEND: A coach who couldn’t take a decent roster to the MLS Cup final? Where have I heard that one before?
YOU: OK, fine. He doesn’t have the greatest résumé and would probably just give the Fire more of the same, but he did play with the Fire for three seasons and was also an assistant here.
(Friend rolls eyes, makes inappropriate hand gesture)

Have you read Ives post about Andrew Hauptman? Paints a picture that he's a cancer and will bring this team down. But your post on Denis Hamlett makes it seem as though he was the cancer. What is your take on the differences between your and Ives' articles? – otergod
...I strongly disagree with Ives’ defense of Hamlett... don’t feel he deserves the credit Ives gave him and I don’t think he deserved another season with the Fire. On the other hand, I think Ives painted a pretty accurate picture of Hauptman. Some fans probably like that Hauptman is so hands on because they feel it shows how much he cares. Others feel Hauptman should get out of the way and leave soccer decisions to soccer people. I lean toward the latter.

Is publishing this now to get it off your chest or to air dirty laundry? – SparkeyG
When Chris Armas retired, I wrote a behind-the-scenes piece detailing my experience with him. I did a similar piece on Chad Barrett before he faced the Fire for the first time and I did one on Dave Sarachan after he was fired. Obviously, my Hamlett piece had a different tone, but my motivation was the same: I wanted to give readers a closer look at what he was like off the field.

...I didn't need to get it off my chest. When my old sports editor asked me "Feel better?" after reading the piece, I said no. I felt bad being so critical of another human being. But like I told that editor, Hamlett dug his own grave.

After reading this, would it be untrue to say that Denis was one of the reasons you originally stopped this blog? -WWC
Did you leave The Red Card partly because of your relationship with Hammy? Timing of your return implies some connection. - dabes2
I changed jobs for a few reasons, but Denis Hamlett really wasn’t one of them. My move had more to do with the people above him.

When an organization repeatedly complains about you not covering them enough and then says “No comment” or doesn’t return your call when you try to cover them, you start wondering if this is what you want to do with your life. When an organization refuses to give you their side of the story and then gets mad you didn’t include their side of the story in an article, you first look around to make sure you’re not on a hidden camera show, and then you let the paper know you’d like to cover something else.

#25 jogadubwise

jogadubwise

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Liverpool

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:08 AM

Wowwwwww.
QUOTE (chicubfan @ May 29 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I interned in the FO for a little while and trust me they are so dumb had they payed off the refs they probably would have presented them one of those huge checks during halftime on the field.

QUOTE (joey @ Oct 8 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halloween specific stadium.

#26 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

Old Luis was entertaining and occasionally informative, but New Luis is the shit.

#27 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Old Luis was entertaining and occasionally informative, but New Luis is the shit.

Agreed. Maybe it's just all of the pent up nuggets of wisdom that Luis has been holding back for the last few months. Or maybe he's willing to take a few more risks with his writing now that he knows his livelihood doesn't depend on this blog alone.

#28 j to the jeremy

j to the jeremy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Or the fact that he likes the Fire and wants to help them in the long run by offering some constructive criticism and asking some tougher questions.

#29 kenosis

kenosis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Storm, Torpedo Vladimir

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:19 AM

If he comes out dressed all in black with nWo written on his shirt I'll know this is the real deal.

#30 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:45 AM

Here's some news Luis can cover: many people, many Fire fans think he's a lousy writer and the Tribune owes us someone who can cover the sport. There's two or three columns right there.

His quite popular here.

He's not a bad writer. The blog isn't always great but the stuff that made it into the pages of the Tribune wasn't bad by an stretch of the imagination unless you love to hate on the guy. His big World Cup 06 write up with the bracket prediction was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users