132 replies to this topic

redbullnumerouno

redbullnumerouno

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Knicks, Colombia

yea except were not talking about a drink mixer, were talking about a football team.

that

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

ok dude

They have never made that an issue before and didn't raise it the other night.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

MulletGSS

MulletGSS

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, FC Barcelona

They have never made that an issue before and didn't raise it the other night.

my comment had nothing to do with the other night- what i heard was off record somewhere else.

The opinions expressed here are the views of MulletGSS and do not reflect the views and opinions of GSS or any of it's other members.

zoomosapien

zoomosapien

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, MLS, US MNT
Once again, someone posted what people want for Christmas. I posted that "I" didn't want to hear Metro songs or see their banners. I never stated people shouldn't do it or that it won't happen. Do what you want cause God knows I'm not gonna stop you.

I also find it funny that someone that hates this Franchise so much that they can get so worked up on a message board that in general is a gathering place for people that watch, attend and support this team.

If you want nothing to do with this team unless they revert back to Metro, change their name to Cosmos or gets bought up by an owner that does not care about profits(lol), then why even be involved here at all. Just wait till those things happen and come back.
" I don't know you and you don't know the half of it " - Bono

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,708 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I think I speak for every one here on these boards past and present

The problem is that most of the "past" has disappeared, whether they grew old, were banned or just became disillusioned with the team.
I've been at most games since 1996 and have never even met most of the people you mentioned, as I didn't go near 101 until 2002.
Perhaps they are like casualties of war, who should not be forgotten, but we, the living, as it were, must go on.
Like it or not, the league & the team have managed to survive. Honestly, even I am surprised. I followed the Cosmos for their final 10 years ('75-'84) & saw a much better financed organization and league over-expand and implode. I can't believe MLS is starting Year 15, and it should last at least a while longer.
That said, what are we, as fans, to do? This is not Europe, or South America. There is not generational support for the team. Ownership changes. Coaches & players come and go. I wish I could say that the fans are the only constant, but many of them have come & gone as well. The group of 15-20 that I came with in 1996 has dwindled to, well, me!
So, I try to remember the good times, laugh about the bad times, & look forward to the new adventures. While I don't agree with the image of the team, I acknowledge that the owners are, well, the owners, and can do what they want. They seem willing to work with us (heard that before), and I'm giving them a chance to prove it (I know, repeating the same behavior over & over again, hoping for a different result, is the definition of insanity).
I like to think of all the SGs as family. We can argue among ourselves on an incredible variety of topics, but shouldn't fight. We need to stick together and present a unified front to the world, even if we consist of a large number of smaller sub-groups. A coherent, organized leadership can speak for all of us to the FO. It does not to be only ESC. GSS should have their say, as should any other SG, even RBN.
We're sitting here just before Christmas, with a new stadium wrapped up & waiting for us under the tree. Let's not whine before we even get to open it, nor break it when we have the chance to play with it!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,218 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
That is RedMenace's call going forward.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars
Metro is now a nickname, just because an RBNY creative team didn't come up with it doesn't mean it shouldn't stay.

BAM!

easy.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,218 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think I speak for every one here on these boards past and present

Sorry, you don't. Dan, the other co-founder of NYCFirm, is coming back and he is excited to see the new stadium. That is a fact. He was gushing over the RBArena tour and had nothing but good things to say about it. At the Pacquiao-Cotto fight he reiterated his desire to be in 101 and to come back to as many games as possible. "Begbie" on the other hand cannot, due to work constraints.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

you need to stfu about it

Since the only thing you can truly guarantee about a game is your presence, or lack there of, you should take some of your own advice. The whole hardcore thing, it doesn't impress.
When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Removed_by_request

Removed_by_request

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

I want to not see Metro Banners or hear Metro chants at Red Bull Arena.

would +1 be applicable here?

Removed_by_request

Removed_by_request

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts
And what a stupid thing to do.

Sing Metro, after they left you, the "hardcore" and "faithful" high and dry, by selling to an EVIL energy drink.

AND FURTHERMORE,

what dirty pieces of shit Red Bull are, building a stadium.

I see your point Metrostars faithful. I see your fucking point.

AND I FOR ONE AM OUTRAGED!!!

I can't believe I didn't recognize all of this advertising before. How did I miss it? JESUS!

The Metrostars were a fan-fucking-tastic organization, and have and always will be one of the cornerstones of soccer in the USA.

All those decade of tradition, all those positive thing that were accomplished. WOW! what a great time it was.

I think you're all pissed that more people are gonna be coming to your thing. The whole, I was Metro, I'm cooler than you...
Boy oh boy, how jealous I am...

What a glorious history to celebrate, 1 tenth of a century of tradition. awesome.

And what a trophy cabinet!!!

I understand your hatred of Red Bull
</sarcasm>

tariq13

tariq13

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, New York Red Bulls
Now, I don't know the people Flaco was mentioning in his tirade, but I've been a FAITHFUL fan of the team since '96. I'm not a member of ESC but a big supporter of them. I've been part of this member board for longer than my member name says. However, the thing that sounds so troubling here is that people are talking like the Metrostars and the Red Bulls are two separate teams.

THEY AREN'T!

From what I remember, we were rebranded.

Rebranded.

That means it was the same team, same everything expect the logo and the shirt.

Metrostars are part of our history. I bled the Red and Black, but then the Red and Black were changed to the Red and White. But its not colors I'm faithful to, it's a team. You can't say we have to give up and forget the Metrostars history. That's part of our team. We existed before 2006.

On the other hand, the Red Bull takeover didn't sit right with me. How could it? No one wants to start rooting for a jersey that doesn't look familiar to you. However, it has happened, it's over, and now we're Red Bulls. I'm proud to be a Red Bull as well.

Metrostars and Red Bulls are not two separate things, they are one and the same. It sounds like some people are saying "get over the whole Metrostars thing" and others are saying "we're always Metrostars, fuck the Red Bulls." I love my team, so I don't like hearing people talk shit about either name.

"Metro" is our nickname. Last time I checked, "Red Devils" doesn't appear anywhere in Manchester United's official name. Quite honestly, I think it's cool we're the Red Bulls AND have the nickname Metro.

And if you need further convincing, when I play Football Manager and click on the team that's listed as the runner up in the 2003 US Open Cup named Metrostars, it takes me to the New York Red Bulls team page. When you click on "Tampa Bay" or "Miami" in a player's history, it goes nowhere. Point and case. Football Manager proves it!

The Metrostars and the Red Bulls are one and the same.

EMBRACE BOTH!

tariq13

tariq13

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, New York Red Bulls
And PS - I didn't know until today that there were Red Bull fans who weren't around during the Metrostars days.
As much as I strongly disagree with "lets not chant Metro or have no Metro banners in RBA", I think it's AWESOME we have fans who weren't around during the Metrostar times. And I don't mean that as condescending to those people.

Why?

Because that means our team has a long history now! I guess I forgot how long we've been around. I never thought that there would have fans who didn't know the Metrostars. Quite honestly, that's cool!

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I see your point Metrostars faithful. I see your fucking point.

Oh, but I don't think you do, in between all your trite, cack-handed straw-man making.
No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

msufiftyseven

msufiftyseven

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Metro is now a nickname, just because an RBNY creative team didn't come up with it doesn't mean it shouldn't stay.

BAM!

easy.

This
South Ward - Home of the Lunatics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users