134 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

We can't fill our staidum now, what makes you think we will be able to when there's a team to compete with who has better marketing and a more 'local' flavor?

As the guy above me showed, there is nothing local about persecution and 3rd world corporatism. At least, not since the civil rights movement.

That said, as MLS grows, I think attendance will improve. I also think that 5k RBNY diehards attending the games vs NYCFC, and 5k NYCFC fans attending games at RBA, will also help. 

Maybe its naive, but I think there is a chance people are more likely to go to games and be drawn into the sport if there is a "red vs blue, pick a side" type rivalry. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

As the guy above me showed, there is nothing local about persecution and 3rd world corporatism. At least, not since the civil rights movement.

That said, as MLS grows, I think attendance will improve. I also think that 5k RBNY diehards attending the games vs NYCFC, and 5k NYCFC fans attending games at RBA, will also help. 

Maybe its naive, but I think there is a chance people are more likely to go to games and be drawn into the sport if there is a "red vs blue, pick a side" type rivalry. 

I just am not so sure ours is the side that will be picked.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

I'd actually like to help promote certain aspects of NYCFC -- like the fact that their owner built his fortune on slave labor.  Or the fact that their owner is a polygamist.  Or the fact that their owner is a high ranking official of a foreign government that jails and executes gays.  Or the fact that their owner also owns Etihad Airways, an airline that refuses services to Jews.

Honestly, I think we should all be working hard to get the word out about this new team.

I expect that there will be some reporting on the emirates money that is backing NYCFC as next season approaches. Technically the ownership is in Man City's name with the Yankees as minority partner, but of course it's a fig leaf.

Similar to how the reporting on Qatar is gradually getting more detailed and uglier, there will be some handwringing articles in the NY Times about the unseemliness of the NYCFC money. But of course it won't change a thing.

That said, using the shittiness of the NYCFC ownership and investment to deflect real concerns about Red Bull's commitment doesn't really serve us as supporters. Like it or not, we have to compete with NYCFC. We as supporters shouldn't be carrying Red Bull's water for them. If they aren't sufficiently committed to funding our team at the level that is necessary to compete with the expansion outfit, they need to sell.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

T.M. Anthony

T.M. Anthony

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

So while NYCFC is promoting their brand across the city with the logo unveiling, signing an english language radio deal, taking jabs at our club on a daily basis on twitter and basically winning the media race in NYC our response is...another mid-season friendly?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Nice job promoting your supporters shield champions, marketing team.  Real bang up job.

oh noes they had a logo unveiling and are taking shots at us on twitter, whatever shall we do?

Maybe stop being so insecure about our team next to one that barely has a base to begin with that has to resort to these things just to maybe to gain any ground that we make a big deal of it?

I'm not saying RB doesn't have to improve its marketing ,a beaten horse that one. but lets not act like these guys are leaving us in the dust in any way that matters or something. "Winning the NYC media race" in terms of the examples you bring up means dick all to RBNY's continued viability next to this other team.

(,,,,,,,,,)    

\--|-- /   
/ |oo|   \  
#aslongaswerebreathing

2013 supporters shield champions.

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,839 posts
Some of you guys are making it sound like we're the Revs.

5 year plan

Fellaini's Afro

Fellaini's Afro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton, BU Bearcats
How much longer do you want the team to milk the shield win though? That was last season. We're a month into the next one.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

SS isn't real hardware to 98% of Americans. It isn't a trophy awarded to the winner of the final playoff game, like every other major sport in this country. So honestly, who cares? Yes, it's nice to win the SS. No, you cannot call us champions. If we had won the MLS Cup, I'd bet there would be marketing efforts to showcase the achievement.

It's fairly obvious that the club does not operate independently of their Austrian overlords. Meaning, we likely have no free reign, nor a staff that consists of die hard soccer fans and/or passionate about representing NY/NJ. It's just a job, and they do as their disconnected leaders tell them.

I may be biased because I live 15 minutes from PPL Park so it makes no difference to me about marketing. With the Devils, I can always hope some day they make a splash down here, since they are actually NJ. With RB, it's all NY, so I would never see a blip of their efforts where I'm located it.

Giants3b

Giants3b

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Getting stepped on.
  • Supports:Lehigh Valley Steelhawks

If you're in a political campaign, the candidate who is behind takes shots while the candidate who's ahead keeps talking about the issues.

Telegraphed

Telegraphed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

As long as we eventually fill our stadium, and beat them on the field, who has a greater number of fans doesn't matter much to me. 

Who has more fans, the Giants or Jets? Does anyone really care? 

As a Jets fan, it absolutely matters, due to the way the team is treated in the local media, and - by virtue - extending to the national perception of the team.

It's not about number of fans, it's about volume of schadenfreude. In any two club city people are going to see a winner and a loser. It's the paradigm which we as humans are genetically programmed to interpret, and humans also LOVE spotting patterns. There's no way to avoid the narrative forming of a "good" team and an "inept" team.

As it pertains to the NFL since you mentioned that, and I've posted this to death on the Jets forums, but if you look at any reasonable measure of success over the last ten to fifteen years the Jets are by no means a "bad" team. I think the stat is that only eight teams since 2002 have had more playoff appearances than the Jets. And yet it's difficult to tell anyone around the country I'm a Jets fan without them saying, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Why is that? Because in a two team area, when the Giants are the dominant team, degree of dominance does not matter. People see it as a black and white situation. It's what we are genetically programmed to do; it's the easier to digest narrative. One team has won two super bowls recently. The other must be an inept loser. This concept of dominance/submission is absolutely and hopelessly binary in our minds. The media follows suit, and you have a self-sustaining cycle of negative loserish press about the secondary team in the market, and affirmational hero worship for the primary team in the market.

That's why the media battle and establishing primacy between Subway Token FC and RBNY absolutely matters. Once the narrative is formed, every bit of momentum including the cognitive perception of neutral fans starts to re-affirm the narrative. I completely agree with the thinking behind the original post, and believe RBNY are (as usual) missing a huge opportunity.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

As a Jets fan, it absolutely matters, due to the way the team is treated in the local media, and - by virtue - extending to the national perception of the team.

It's not about number of fans, it's about volume of schadenfreude. In any two club city people are going to see a winner and a loser. It's the paradigm which we as humans are genetically programmed to interpret, and humans also LOVE spotting patterns. There's no way to avoid the narrative forming of a "good" team and an "inept" team.

As it pertains to the NFL since you mentioned that, and I've posted this to death on the Jets forums, but if you look at any reasonable measure of success over the last ten to fifteen years the Jets are by no means a "bad" team. I think the stat is that only eight teams since 2002 have had more playoff appearances than the Jets. And yet it's difficult to tell anyone around the country I'm a Jets fan without them saying, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Why is that? Because in a two team area, when the Giants are the dominant team, degree of dominance does not matter. People see it as a black and white situation. It's what we are genetically programmed to do; it's the easier to digest narrative. One team has won two super bowls recently. The other must be an inept loser. This concept of dominance/submission is absolutely and hopelessly binary in our minds. The media follows suit, and you have a self-sustaining cycle of negative loserish press about the secondary team in the market, and affirmational hero worship for the primary team in the market.

That's why the media battle and establishing primacy between Subway Token FC and RBNY absolutely matters. Once the narrative is formed, every bit of momentum including the cognitive perception of neutral fans starts to re-affirm the narrative. I completely agree with the thinking behind the original post, and believe RBNY are (as usual) missing a huge opportunity.

You're absolutely on the ball with most of this.  The most important thing is not number of fans, its number of titles.  A week or two ago I heard a Dolphins fan call into the radio to talk about what a mess the Jets are, and no one said to the guy look at your fucking team, they just nodded along.  

But its not irreversible at all.  I recall very well in the 80s and early 90s when the Mets were the dominant team, and the Yankees were the bunch of losers who couldn't get it together and were talking about moving the team to new jersey (god, if only that had come true...)

Win and win now and win again is the best marketing strategy this team can have, because you can't argue with titles.  Plus considering all the shackles the NYRB marketers have, its the only real advantage they seem able to exploit.  That english radio contract will be huge for the new guys.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

I'm not saying RB doesn't have to improve its marketing ,a beaten horse that one. but lets not act like these guys are leaving us in the dust in any way that matters or something. "Winning the NYC media race" in terms of the examples you bring up means dick all to RBNY's continued viability next to this other team.

If you don't think being on YES and having a paid english language radio contract has a major impact on our viability and visibility as an entity then I have nothing more to discuss with you.  Like it or not, the media in this town dictates whether you're relevant or not.  They (Red Bull) are setting themselves up to be second fiddle with a 20 year head start.

#RedBullOut

Fellaini's Afro

Fellaini's Afro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton, BU Bearcats

If you don't think being on YES and having a paid english language radio contract has a major impact on our viability and visibility as an entity then I have nothing more to discuss with you.  Like it or not, the media in this town dictates whether you're relevant or not.  They (Red Bull) are setting themselves up to be second fiddle with a 20 year head start.

How is being on YES any better than being on MSG?

And who listens to radio any more?

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

How is being on YES any better than being on MSG?

And who listens to radio any more?

Well, does anyone actually watch MSG in the summer?  Outside of that though, one part of their ownership is actually going to profit from them being on the channel with ad buys...we're getting no revenue from TV.

Francesa just got a nice big contract for FS1.  WFAN is as relevant as it ever has been.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,110 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

No, you are blinded by your fandom.  The Jets are mocked for the fact that they have historically sucked, over 40 years since their lone Superbowl, and in recent years, when they kinda didn't suck so much, they've been a total no-class, laughable, freak-show as an organization.  Keeping this on-topic, unti the latest regime got here, that's what we were... a never-winning team with one group of clowns after another running the show.  Now, however, we have a great stadium, Roxy and Petke, a SS, and more trophies on the way....  NYCFC has some stuff going for them and plenty going against them.   If the Yankee connections and Man City money can get some media attention for MLS, that will only mean more people paying attention when we beat their sky-blue asses out on the field. 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

cryforburke

cryforburke

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

No, you are blinded by your fandom.  The Jets are mocked for the fact that they have historically sucked, over 40 years since their lone Superbowl, and in recent years, when they kinda didn't suck so much, they've been a total no-class, laughable, freak-show as an organization.  Keeping this on-topic, unti the latest regime got here, that's what we were... a never-winning team with one group of clowns after another running the show.  Now, however, we have a great stadium, Roxy and Petke, a SS, and more trophies on the way....  NYCFC has some stuff going for them and plenty going against them.   If the Yankee connections and Man City money can get some media attention for MLS, that will only mean more people paying attention when we beat their sky-blue asses out on the field. 

Right?  I'm sure the mockery has nothing to do with having players that can't remember the name of their 17 children...or a coach with a foot fetish...or a butt fumble.....or a QB that gets caught wiping boogers on people and eating hotdogs on the sidelines or poses for ridiculous photo spreads in Esquire magazine...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users