1245 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Ideally, sure, but I'm assuming the league will be pressed for time. Cutting 9 regular season gamedays helps a lot more than cutting 2 playoff dates with 4-8 matches in each.

I don't think they will cut playoffs if they have a choice. You're not eliminating "winner takes all" over a regular season game. Not in MLS.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I don't think they will cut playoffs if they have a choice. You're not eliminating "winner takes all" over a regular season game. Not in MLS.

Any changes would devalue the sacrosanct traditions of the MLS Cup Playoffs!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I don't know why the league isn't ...

You lost me here. What does MLS ever do?
Even under normal circumstances?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I don't know why the league isn't making more of an effort to broadcast live content involving the clubs and their players.

Like this stuff?

https://www.newyorkr...tualappearances

I know some people might watch it, but I think the vast majority of fans who primarily like watch soccer would have no interest in this stuff.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Like this stuff?

I know some people might watch it, but I think the vast majority of fans who primarily like watch soccer would have no interest in this stuff.

I'm talking like actual competitions of stuff, not interviews or cooking demonstrations.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Like this stuff?

Muyl's cooking class is appointment viewing for me.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Muyl's cooking class is appointment viewing for me.

So, the two French guys get cooking classes!
Stereotyped!

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Be safe, Milo. my Mom's a retired RN, so heart goes out to you and other medical industry employees that are the true front lines in this fucking awful time. Cuidate, primo. 

ty
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

This might be the slowest day in our board's history. 3 posts, I think, counting this one. Ugh. How much more of this?...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

This might be the slowest day in our board's history. 3 posts, I think, counting this one. Ugh. How much more of this?...

The league extended its training moratorium to April 24, Washington is on a stay-at-home order through May 5...I'd be pleasantly surprised if we have games in July.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Earliest mid May.

Latest this fall.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

The problem is the entire country isn't working on the same timeline. The downward trend of the curve in this area will be happening some time in April but other areas are behind.

My prediction is some type of shortened training camp in June and then actual games in July. Even then there's going to be severe restrictions with distancing but we all can't sit inside forever. Even though it seems some people want to.

Something that bugs the shit out of me is that every news source is doing such a shitty job of just providing the one chart that matters most in terms of prediction.  THat is the new case chart.   You don't need to be a genius to be able to see those charts and figure out when things are getting better.  The articles that are everywhere is usually the total cases and that's useless.  You have to get more local and figure out the curves there.  NYC is perfect for that, especially because it's the biggest small area.  I had a good spot on NYC's site to just track new cases, but now that's tougher to view because it never seems accurate and the chart seems flawed.   But assuming that's accurate right now, NYC is seeing a big drop already in new cases.  Wednesday seen half the new cases that Tuesday seen.    Deaths and everything else will lag behind that, but new cases is the first, best indicator for this whole thing.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Deaths doubling every 3 days (or worse). Hospitalizations just slightly slower. Don't see too many positive signs yet.
https://covidtrackin...york#historical

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

the one chart that matters most ... is the new case chart.

Charts can only be based on available data.
I would question the accuracy of new case stats.
The data may be better shown as a Venn Diagram.
https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Venn_diagram
The current numbers derive from + test results.
Not everyone has been tested.
https://www.nj.com/c...s-bad-news.html
Some are + with mild symptoms and were not tested.
Testing numbers are increasing rapidly, but new cases
need to be evaluated as a percentage of all tests,
not mistakenly as a flat increase of + results.
https://www.nj.com/c...-they-work.html
https://www.nj.com/c...ril-3-2020.html

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

The problem is the entire country isn't working on the same timeline. The downward trend of the curve in this area will be happening some time in April but other areas are behind.

Various ways to tackle it. Play some games to empty stadiums. Play games in cities that have more or less eliminated the threat. Delay the season until very late.

Hard to say. Have to change plan daily weekly monthly as the situation is fluid. We could very well see this lasting until the fall if things dont go well. I dont personally think that will happen...but it is a possibility.

Yes lots of charts and graphs and this and that out there. Some based in science. Some not. Some based on science different from someone elses science (South Park anyone?). Looking at all the data and taking worst and best case scenarios into account I think a reasonable target would be to have the season SOMEHOW restart in July.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users