62 replies to this topic

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't get the complaints... the scarf is the exact same quality of every ESC scarf I've gotten - feels great.  Are you guys first year season ticket holders?  Not being facetious, but those ones from last year were absolute garbage quality compared to these.  As for the patches - quality is yet to be seen.  I've literally never seen a patch on a scarf before, so not sure how they'll hold up.

As for the rest of the package - if this was last year, we'd be singing RBs praises.  Amado fucking Guevara front and center of the box - literally the size of the Red Bulls logo on it.  Meola and Angel, the same.  The ticket cards, red and black striped.  The boxes, red and black, and striped on the side.  The season ticket holder event last night, "metro" was dropped more times than I can count, and the entire thing was themed in Metro colors.  

As much as people say this whole #RedBullOut movement is more than just Petke... if Petke was still there, everyone would be loving what they're doing right now.  It's too bad, really.

I haven't received mine, so I cannot comment. However, last year's scarf from the team sucked. My ESC scarf was much better.

In regards to #RedBullOut...folks would still hate the ownership. For a lot of folks, the unexpected firing of Mike Petke (Legend) was the tipping point. If not for the tipping point, the backlash is still there, but less extreme.

These gestures are nice, but a decade too late. And many are half-baked and are only note worthy because of the complete fuckups by the team since 2006. If they treated the fanbase and history with any dignity, 3 black stripes on the inside of the collar and referencing the word Metro behind closed doors to a small group of fans is not even worthy of conversation. The biggest nod to Metro was the legend coaching us to victory, and they fucked it up. These other tokens are the front office giving you a bone, and telling you it's a steak.

Not falling for it.

#RedbullOut

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Mfw+i+m+on+fucking+science+so+confused_e

LOVE. THAT. MOVIE.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
'Embracing' the past is a cynical attempt to make up for a complete lack of marketing. They know NYcfc is going to blow them out of the water in terms of ad spending and media coverage. The history of the team is the only unique angle they can use against them and they think it will magically make up for the complete lack of real spending on marketing . If not for NYCFC this half assed attempt to evoke the teams history would never have happened.

omaourladypeace

omaourladypeace

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Orangemen

In regards to #RedBullOut...folks would still hate the ownership. For a lot of folks, the unexpected firing of Mike Petke (Legend) was the tipping point. If not for the tipping point, the backlash is still there, but less extreme.

These gestures are nice, but a decade too late. And many are half-baked and are only note worthy because of the complete fuckups by the team since 2006. If they treated the fanbase and history with any dignity, 3 black stripes on the inside of the collar and referencing the word Metro behind closed doors to a small group of fans is not even worthy of conversation. The biggest nod to Metro was the legend coaching us to victory, and they fucked it up. These other tokens are the front office giving you a bone, and telling you it's a steak.

Not falling for it.

#RedbullOut

Yeah, I get the spiel.  

At the risk of this going to beating the dead horse forum, my thought is just that a lot of the people following the "movement" didn't care as much about the lack of "nods to metro" in the past few years, and would be appreciative of it now if it wasn't for the Petke firing.  Almost like going into a black hole now that a lot of the fans that would appreciate it are on board the hate train.  Thats all!  Carry on  :)

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

Mfw+i+m+on+fucking+science+so+confused_e

MmnIjQa.gif

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Yeah, I get the spiel.  

At the risk of this going to beating the dead horse forum, my thought is just that a lot of the people following the "movement" didn't care as much about the lack of "nods to metro" in the past few years, and would be appreciative of it now if it wasn't for the Petke firing.  Almost like going into a black hole now that a lot of the fans that would appreciate it are on board the hate train.  Thats all!  Carry on  :)

People have been calling for and designing Metro third jersies and badges pretty much since day one of Red Bull.

And of course the Petke firing has made people more skeptical of nods to the past, how could it not? They fire the man that is Metro completely against the will of the fans but 'hey look we put a logo on a scarf', no thanks. The firing showed a complete lack of understanding or regard for the team's history and fans that a few token gestures can't make up for. If Mike is still coach it may have been easier to take it as genuine attempt to connect with history rather than as a cynical and desperate move to stay relevant in the market. If Nycfc wasn't completely plastic they would be totally fucked.

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

These gestures are nice, but a decade too late.

Same could be said for the #Redbullout 'movement'

I haven't received mine yet, but from the pictures online the box and scarf look very nice.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

People have been calling for and designing Metro third jersies and badges pretty much since day one of Red Bull.

And of course the Petke firing has made people more skeptical of nods to the past, how could it not? They fire the man that is Metro completely against the will of the fans but 'hey look we put a logo on a scarf', no thanks. The firing showed a complete lack of understanding or regard for the team's history and fans that a few token gestures can't make up for. If Mike is still coach it may have been easier to take it as genuine attempt to connect with history rather than as a cynical and desperate move to stay relevant in the market. If Nycfc wasn't completely plastic they would be totally fucked.

Keep hearing RedBullOut is not about Petke (I agree it's not), but then why is his name always coming up?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Probably because he is the catalyst of everything/people just assume Petke is the only reason.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Keep hearing RedBullOut is not about Petke (I agree it's not), but then why is his name always coming up?

Most of us have had to compromise to support a team called Red Bull since the beginning. For the last two years it looked like the FO may have figured out a happy medium where supporting the team was bearable because they were moving towards success and stability while also paying attention to the team's history. When they fired Petke it became clear that those 2 years were an anomaly and while owned by Red Bull the norm is always going to be constant turnover and upheaval because the owner's main goal is to sell drinks rather than run a soccer team. For many when that fact became clear they realized this team will never be a success under the energy drink's portfolio of businesses. So the Petke firing will always be a key moment in the push to get rid of Red Bull and it will likely come up a lot, but it is decidedly not the primary motivation behind #RedBullOut. 

If people choose to pretend they can't distinguish between the Petke firing being mentioned and the movement being entirely based on it, that's fine. It's disingenuous, but there's nothing we can really do about it when we've clearly stated otherwise. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Most of us have had to compromise to support a team called Red Bull since the beginning. For the last two years it looked like the FO may have figured out a happy medium where supporting the team was bearable because they were moving towards success and stability while also paying attention to the team's history. When they fired Petke it became clear that those 2 years were an anomaly and while owned by Red Bull the norm is always going to be constant turnover and upheaval because the owner's main goal is to sell drinks rather than run a soccer team. For many when that fact became clear they realized this team will never be a success under the energy drink's portfolio of businesses. So the Petke firing will always be a key moment in the push to get rid of Red Bull and it will likely come up a lot, but it is decidedly not the primary motivation behind #RedBullOut. 

If people choose to pretend they can't distinguish between the Petke firing being mentioned and the movement being entirely based on it, that's fine. It's disingenuous, but there's nothing we can really do about it when we've clearly stated otherwise. 

Would there be a RedBullOut movement right now if they had never hired Petke?  IIRC they didn't hire Petke as an homage to Metro history, they hired him because they were backed into a corner when their other coaching choices failed to work out.  We had no coach so they had Petke slide over one seat.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Most of us have had to compromise to support a team called Red Bull since the beginning. 

I hear you.  The only gap I had in season tickets since 1999 (the first year I could afford them) was when Red Bull took over.

I just think it'd be easier to separate the two if people stopped bring up Petke.  I get he's an example,b ut a lot of people are focusing on thatc  Why keep connecting the two for them?

The Metrologist

The Metrologist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Should of started it instead of taking the easy way out and switching allegiances from RBNY to COSMO.

It did begin 9 years ago, when a significant part of the team's hardcore fanbase began their own small-scale/individual #RedBullOut campaigns, in the form of distancing themselves from the thing - or walking away from it altogether. But not before predicting what was going to happen under the taurine regime with a startling degree of prescience.   

Anyone who was around for the unending online arguments, debates and shit-throwing of that time period (my guess is that quite a few fans around here now weren't around back then) remembers just how contentious and divided and aggrieved things got (as far as those things get on the message boards of third-tier sports teams.) There was nothing to "start" then - not that some didn't try to come up with a way forward, even if it was just on the symbolic level (remember "Metro Reds"?) Far too many people were willing to give RB a chance for any sustained movement, any critical mass to gather. 

Furthermore, no one "switched allegiances" from RBNY to the Cosmos. For people who cut ties with the energy drink experiment as it began, there was a gap of what - 5, 6 years before the Cosmos were even being talked about? Supporters left RB (or RB left supporters, if you will) not for another local club, but for local clublessness. They were orphaned. You can say what you want about that, but for people who care about and want to support pro soccer in this area and in this country, that is anything but "taking the easy way out."

No one makes TV commercials to get people to look at their billboards.

wabbit67

wabbit67

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Would there be a RedBullOut movement right now if they had never hired Petke?  IIRC they didn't hire Petke as an homage to Metro history, they hired him because they were backed into a corner when their other coaching choices failed to work out.  We had no coach so they had Petke slide over one seat.

They hired Petke because they knew his links to the past and knew that they could get a pass from the fan base on not hiring a more seasoned coach by hiring him.  The Metro history was integral to his being given the position.  Then, when he slid over a seat (as you put it), he gave us the best two years in club history.  Only 2000-2001 come even close.  So yeah he was hired as someone to hold the position, but he was hired as a holder based on his links to the club and he did an incredible job in the position.  He showed he was much more than they considered him to be.  Thus, he deserved to continue in his new seat. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

They hired Petke because they knew his links to the past and knew that they could get a pass from the fan base on not hiring a more seasoned coach by hiring him.  The Metro history was integral to his being given the position.  Then, when he slid over a seat (as you put it), he gave us the best two years in club history.  Only 2000-2001 come even close.  So yeah he was hired as someone to hold the position, but he was hired as a holder based on his links to the club and he did an incredible job in the position.  He showed he was much more than they considered him to be.  Thus, he deserved to continue in his new seat. 

I won't dispute that he should have been given a chance this year.  My point is if you want to separate RedBullOut from the Petke firing, there's an easy way to do it - STOP bringing up Petke when discussing RedBullOut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users