• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

NYC is Red

NYC is Red

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Man United, US Soccer

1/2 of the stadium will be people wearing Beckam LAG jerseys.

Beckham was, and still is, one of my favorite players. Wished he had joined NYRB instead. Oh well...

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Beckham was, and still is, one of my favorite players. Wished he had joined NYRB instead. Oh well...

Big-name guys like that just make you worse.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

joshgabs

joshgabs

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USMNT

Beckham was a disaster for LAG the first few years.  Was always on loan, never really cared about LA until the very end of his contract. RBNY fans would have run him out of town if he was here.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Henry was, both in their primes and in MLS, better than Beckham.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Manchester United Beckham, definitely. The Real Madrid years and after that he was a fucking headcase. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Beckham was a disaster for LAG the first few years.  Was always on loan, never really cared about LA until the very end of his contract. RBNY fans would have run him out of town if he was here.

To be fair, the only way he could carry on playing for England was to go out on loan and play European football. McClaren (or McClown) along with many in England despised MLS (Mickey Mouse League) so he had no choice. Say what you will about him as a celebrity but I'm not going to fault a guy for playing on his off time and desperately wanting to play for his country. I'll also be forever be grateful for what Beckham did for MLS and soccer in general in this country.

joshgabs

joshgabs

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USMNT

To be fair, the only way he could carry on playing for England was to go out on loan and play European football. McClaren (or McClown) along with many in England despised MLS (Mickey Mouse League) so he had no choice. Say what you will about him as a celebrity but I'm not going to fault a guy for playing on his off time and desperately wanting to play for his country. I'll also be forever be grateful for what Beckham did for MLS and soccer in general in this country.

I absolutely agree about him wanting to play for England.  Still, the situation wasn't great for the Galaxy and it wouldn't have been great had he played here.

With that being said, he's a focal point in the growth of this league, and should be praised for what he did for American soccer.

cryforburke

cryforburke

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

If he was that fucking concerned about playing for England and MLS was an obstacle, then he shouldn't have signed on to play with the league in the first place. Fuck Beckham.  He went to LA in order to get a paycheck and up his own personal brand.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

If he was that fucking concerned about playing for England and MLS was an obstacle, then he shouldn't have signed on to play with the league in the first place. Fuck Beckham.  He went to LA in order to get a paycheck and up his own personal brand.  

Yeah the 2 MLS Cups and Supporter Sheilds were just luck.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Say what you want, as much I want to hate on the guy, you will never hear a teammate say anything but the best about him (Donovan's early hissy fit doesn't count).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Say what you want, as much I want to hate on the guy, you will never hear a teammate say anything but the best about him (Donovan's early hissy fit doesn't count).

He could have easily hung it up when he tore his Achilles.  He worked his way back from that.  Maybe thats his ego but its probably more work then I would put it if independantly wealthy :-)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I really don't know how anyone can bitch about Beckham at this point... The results speak for themselves.  He was a huge part of them dominating for periods of time.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

Bottom line Beckham helped this league tremendously , to what it is today. Also if Miami goes through will be a big part of the league in the future as well

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Can we just move this thread to "Something about Beckham..."

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Sounds a bit like old Tim Cahill to me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users