• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,964 posts

I think looking at whether we're surviving without Dax or what we got in return overlooks an important question - was there actually a need to trade him at all? Were Adams and Davis threatening to jump ship if they didn't get more time? Were we in serious cap trouble if he stuck around? If the answer isn't a resounding yes to either of those two questions, then I don't see what it matters what we got in return. You don't give up a guy who has been top 3 in his position for years just for the sake of it.

Both Davis and Adams are now finding significant minutes in other positions, we have a heaping pile of allocation money aside from what we got for Dax, MLS is handing out TAM left and right, and the cap is going up each year. Unless there was more happening behind the scenes regarding my two questions before, I'm struggling to see why the trade needed to happen.

Dax sticking around would have put more pressure on Jesse to manage minutes, but that's a problem I'd be willing to deal with to keep a player of his caliber. I couldn't disagree more that he wasn't instrumental in this team's recent success, setting some "top 3" metric is arbitrary and makes it sound like he was just along for the ride.

He had a part of the success, he wasn't the cause for the success.  We had a few guys who were more of the reasons for success.  I think some people started to get carried away in that they believed everything negative was due to Dax being gone.   

And the guy is 30 years old.  Do we need to look any further than Sacha to see how quick someone can regress athletically?  You don't wait for that moment of regression, you try to beat it.  And Sacha is doing well in this formation but it's clear we are very limited in formations we can play while he's on the team now.  Even Bruce seen the dropoff and backtracked on his plans to have Sacha be a big part of things.

The other factor was that the previous mix of people wasn't working.  You can't just sit there and keep things the exact same.  You change the flavor.  Maybe it's partly why we have done so well in the Open Cup this season.  We won a game on Weds that this team never wins. Certainly this group never wins.  Sometimes it's about changing the mix.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,008 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Why does anyone feel the need to shit on Dax?

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think looking at whether we're surviving without Dax or what we got in return overlooks an important question - was there actually a need to trade him at all? Were Adams and Davis threatening to jump ship if they didn't get more time? Were we in serious cap trouble if he stuck around? If the answer isn't a resounding yes to either of those two questions, then I don't see what it matters what we got in return. You don't give up a guy who has been top 3 in his position for years just for the sake of it.

Both Davis and Adams are now finding significant minutes in other positions, we have a heaping pile of allocation money aside from what we got for Dax, MLS is handing out TAM left and right, and the cap is going up each year. Unless there was more happening behind the scenes regarding my two questions before, I'm struggling to see why the trade needed to happen.

Dax sticking around would have put more pressure on Jesse to manage minutes, but that's a problem I'd be willing to deal with to keep a player of his caliber. I couldn't disagree more that he wasn't instrumental in this team's recent success, setting some "top 3" metric is arbitrary and makes it sound like he was just along for the ride.

Davis and Adams are finding minutes at other positions, but Felipe is playing where Dax would play and, agree or not, Marsch rates Felipe higher.

I don't know if Adams or Davis would have jumped ship, but you cannot keep young players of their quality on the bench. It's not the right thing for their development or RB's investment in them. They didn't have to move Dax, but they needed to move someone. And to be fair Dax is the least flexible in terms of positions he can play. Felipe, Davis, & Adams can all play as deep lying CMs and either as attacking mids (Felipe, Davis) or fullbacks (Adams).

There's a scenario in which Marsch could have rotated players... this thought isn't worth finishing, since Marsch never rotates his squad unless it's absolutely necessary.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,664 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Why does anyone feel the need to shit on Dax?

Sadly, EVERY player gets dumped on by people commenting here. The only variations are how often and how vociferously.
And, it's not just here, and not just soccer. Many people think that they should be general manager, coach, or both!
Back when she was funny, Rosie O'Donnell used to do a good routine on Don Mattingly.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users