22 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Some guys ... thrive in the USL after their MLS stints.

What are USL salaries?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

pretty bad. there's an article from The Athletic, iirc, about Hartford. it's not pretty. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think it's like $20k-$30k + housing + stipend

I am sure there are players making six figures but far and few between.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

article from The Athletic ... it's not pretty. 

This one is behind a wall. Does not begin well.
https://www.google.c...r-scrutiny/?amp

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I think the union that started last offseason for the USL, that the league is behind (at least publicly) has helped to address some of the concerns (particularly health care).
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

I think it's like $20k-$30k + housing + stipend

I am sure there are players making six figures but far and few between.

Maybe this is a hot take but I don't see anything wrong with that. Most USL players are not that good. And the ones that are - they go on to bigger and better leagues. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

so to be a MLS reserve team player, you get $45k, per the CBA. better conditions, etc. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Maybe this is a hot take but I don't see anything wrong with that. Most USL players are not that good. And the ones that are - they go on to bigger and better leagues. 

There are a few things wrong with it. First, there's the general morality of it. That's very little money. Especially if you're based on a team in a city rather than the middle of nowhere. 

Now maybe you're fine with that. Okay. It's still problematic as to the growth of soccer in America for numerous reasons. As long as USL salaries are borderline unlivable, it means that the league will skew towards people who are financially secure. In other words, it will become a league for the privileged. We see this problem in minor league baseball and hockey. It's a problem in the internship industry as well as industries with low starting wages or job insecurity (music, journalism, etc.) If mom and dad can help you out while you chase your dream for a few years, you're in a better place than someone from a poor background who has bills and a future to think about with little margin for error.

Which means that league diversity suffers, and with that league quality. Think about how many other Aaron Long's and Florian Valot's might be out there who looked at a $23K USL salary and decided a $55K job in marketing was more enticing. The higher the pay is, the more you're going to entice players to give it a shot. League quality will get better. A better USL will mean MLS teams finding more Long's and Valot's, and it will mean a higher competition across the board. That means better development for kids because the level of play is higher, and it also means more homegrowns opting to sign here rather than play for some U18 team in Europe. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

very well said!

that's why i don't get why fans of the indy USL-C teams want the MLS reserve teams out of USL-C and into USL1. the reserve players might feel like, "fuck playing USL1, i'm here now at USL-C making 45k. i'm liking the fuck outta this situation, and i might even have a chance at the 1st team." fuck what it looks like in the stands, the players on the 9 MLS reserve squads in USL-C are getting compensated and they're hungry to make an impression.

also, no one had any idea that USL-C would be where it is now since '14, when LA fielded their USL team. i love that it's growing and our reserve team thrives within it. i just want the conditions to be better across the board, and i'd totally advocate for USL-C guys to make 40k+ and the MLS reserve team players getting the current entry-level MLS salary (55k). I do hope that the new MLS CBA will allow for a higher pay bump to the reserve team guys. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

the union that started last offseason for the USL ... has helped to address some of the concerns (particularly health care).

https://www.uslsocce...cle/show/971819
No update since this?
Any contract? Salary scale?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

As long as USL salaries are borderline ... it will become a league for the privileged. We see this problem in minor league baseball. 

How much do you really know about MiLB?
About 30 percent of the players are from the DR.
Here was the 2019 roster for the Lakewood Blue Claws:
http://m.milb.com/t427/roster
11 of 30 are from the DR or Venezuela.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

There are a few things wrong with it. First, there's the general morality of it. That's very little money. Especially if you're based on a team in a city rather than the middle of nowhere. 

Now maybe you're fine with that. Okay. It's still problematic as to the growth of soccer in America for numerous reasons. As long as USL salaries are borderline unlivable, it means that the league will skew towards people who are financially secure. In other words, it will become a league for the privileged. We see this problem in minor league baseball and hockey. It's a problem in the internship industry as well as industries with low starting wages or job insecurity (music, journalism, etc.) If mom and dad can help you out while you chase your dream for a few years, you're in a better place than someone from a poor background who has bills and a future to think about with little margin for error.

Which means that league diversity suffers, and with that league quality. Think about how many other Aaron Long's and Florian Valot's might be out there who looked at a $23K USL salary and decided a $55K job in marketing was more enticing. The higher the pay is, the more you're going to entice players to give it a shot. League quality will get better. A better USL will mean MLS teams finding more Long's and Valot's, and it will mean a higher competition across the board. That means better development for kids because the level of play is higher, and it also means more homegrowns opting to sign here rather than play for some U18 team in Europe. 

Well said and fair points.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

How much do you really know about MiLB?
About 30 percent of the players are from the DR.
Here was the 2019 roster for the Lakewood Blue Claws:
http://m.milb.com/t427/roster
11 of 30 are from the DR or Venezuela.

Life isn't binary, dude. To claim that privilege doesn't impact who does and does not play minor league baseball would be ridiculous. Many of those guys are forced to take part-time jobs. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Life isn't binary, dude. To claim that privilege doesn't impact who does and does not play minor league baseball would be ridiculous. Many of those guys are forced to take part-time jobs. 

You are wrong, dude. Your comparison alleges that MiLB is for the financially secure and privileged. That is bullshit. No rich kid is sitting on a team bus traveling hundreds of miles overnight from one bush league town to the next. Parents may have paid for travel teams and private coaches, but only talent gets one to the major leagues.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

very well said!

that's why i don't get why fans of the indy USL-C teams want the MLS reserve teams out of USL-C and into USL1. the reserve players might feel like, "fuck playing USL1, i'm here now at USL-C making 45k. i'm liking the fuck outta this situation, and i might even have a chance at the 1st team." fuck what it looks like in the stands, the players on the 9 MLS reserve squads in USL-C are getting compensated and they're hungry to make an impression.

also, no one had any idea that USL-C would be where it is now since '14, when LA fielded their USL team. i love that it's growing and our reserve team thrives within it. i just want the conditions to be better across the board, and i'd totally advocate for USL-C guys to make 40k+ and the MLS reserve team players getting the current entry-level MLS salary (55k). I do hope that the new MLS CBA will allow for a higher pay bump to the reserve team guys. 

Because it will allow them to maintain their delusion that USL isn't essentially a feeder league for MLS.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users