68 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
We have a billionaire owner and one of the best hot spots for talent in the country.

Anything other than MLS Cup is a failure.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Im not 100% of the point youre trying to make. So, Im going to tread lightly in case Im not following your thought process.

This is my point.....

Supporters Shield team thats looking for the one piece to put them over the top to MLS Cup.

Taking that team the next season to dead middle of the standings. Thats a significant drop.

No effective moves that offseason or this offseason.

That is extremely poor by anyones standards.

Are you thinking that making the play offs makes last season a success?

Im not trying to be condescending, Im just trying to understand your thinking.

Given what happened in the playoffs.. yes it was success.

No MLS team can survive in the playoffs when you lose all your best players to injuries.

It was crappy luck that it happened since this team is built to beat the top MLS teams.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

I mean if you're cool with mediocrity, can't help you there champ.

Not saying i am cool with mediocrity. Just saying that most folks are not being realistic. Sometimes you have to roll to see whst you got before you make changes. The team looked good in preseason.

The playoff loss was a freak occurrence of injuries to key players.

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

We have a billionaire owner and one of the best hot spots for talent in the country.

Anything other than MLS Cup is a failure.

Having a billionaire owner only matters if they want to spend. I think it's totally fair to call the owner a failure in this case, but given what the team has been able to do with the limited resources and growing out of its academy, i don't call that failure.

But a good MLS academy can only get you so far, and the rest of the league is investing more....not less. Fact of life is, we're a farm club and that's not changing anytime soon. They splashed to build the stadium and brought in Henry to put butts in seats.....but that's clearly not the plan anymore.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Not saying i am cool with mediocrity. Just saying that most folks are not being realistic. Sometimes you have to roll to see whst you got before you make changes. The team looked good in preseason.

Except we do know what we've got. We've got last year's team. Last year's team was barely good enough to make the playoffs, and had minimal chances to make it all the way even if we had better injury luck against Philly. What's that cliche about the definition of insanity? That's its trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

The new playoff format makes miracles runs exactly that, a miracle. You to win 4 straight away games against more talented opponents. Maybe a few years ago I would have said sure, make the playoffs and see what happens. But now, that's simply not a high enough bar for success.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Given what happened in the playoffs.. yes it was success.

No MLS team can survive in the playoffs when you lose all your best players to injuries.

It was crappy luck that it happened since this team is built to beat the top MLS teams.

If you think last season was a success, cool. I dont give any flack for that.

I have a differing opinion but we all have different standards.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Every year we dont have an MLS Cup there is an excuse.

Last year was a failure.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Maybe you should watch more soccer. Most of the teams below have developed their core players from within.

Ajax
Anderlecht
Feyenord
Manchester united... "class of 92"
Sporting lisboa
Real madrid
Barcelona
Santos
Athletic Bilbao

Ooh. Some of these are good examples (but even then all of these teams supplement with key external pieces, even Barca has spent heavily as the Messi/Xavi/Iniesta generation has aged), but listing Real Madrid there? Come on man. The last HG guys to be key pieces at Bernabeu were... Raul and Casillas? Guys left Madrid 5-10 years ago lol.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Having a billionaire owner only matters if they want to spend. I think it's totally fair to call the owner a failure in this case, but given what the team has been able to do with the limited resources and growing out of its academy, i don't call that failure.

But a good MLS academy can only get you so far, and the rest of the league is investing more....not less. Fact of life is, we're a farm club and that's not changing anytime soon. They splashed to build the stadium and brought in Henry to put butts in seats.....but that's clearly not the plan anymore.

Its a terrible idea to bring in a guy like henry.

The team needs to invest more in the youth academy and youth coaches. It is the most effective way to build a dynasty in MLS.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Ooh. Some of these are good examples (but even then all of these teams supplement with key external pieces, even Barca has spent heavily as the Messi/Xavi/Iniesta generation has aged), but listing Real Madrid there? Come on man. The last HG guys to be key pieces at Bernabeu were... Raul and Casillas? Guys left Madrid 5-10 years ago lol.

Real madrid has a squad of youth players. They are all loaned out.

Dani ceballos
Achraf hakimi
Martin odegaard
Takefusa kubo
Borja mayoral

They also developed..
Vinicious junior
Federico valvedre

And id you want to go back to the raul years.. we can add morientes and co. as well.

If the big teams like real madrid and Barcelona realize that its important to have a core of youth players coming up the ranks than why are folks here freaking out when a smaller club like rbny tries to develop their own core.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Except we do know what we've got. We've got last year's team. Last year's team was barely good enough to make the playoffs, and had minimal chances to make it all the way even if we had better injury luck against Philly. What's that cliche about the definition of insanity? That's its trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

The new playoff format makes miracles runs exactly that, a miracle. You to win 4 straight away games against more talented opponents. Maybe a few years ago I would have said sure, make the playoffs and see what happens. But now, that's simply not a high enough bar for success.

This team is better than last year's team. The guys that disappointed, for the exception of robles, are no longer with the team and they have been replaced by youth and rb2 players.

Guys like stroud, kaku and tolkin have been impressive in the preseason. White was great last year. Why not give these guys a chance to contnue their success?

Just because you spend 2-5 million doesnt mean its going to be an upgrade. This team has talent.

What is the worse that can happen? A slow start? Youth player crack under pressure? Then you can sign folks during the summer transfer window.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

oh dear God. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Having followed this team closely for twenty years plus at this point, I am demonstrably good with miserable mediocrity. Otherwise, I would have given up on this team 20 years ago, or 15 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 5 years ago. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Real madrid has a squad of youth players. They are all loaned out.

Dani ceballos
Achraf hakimi
Martin odegaard
Takefusa kubo
Borja mayoral

They also developed..
Vinicious junior
Federico valvedre

And id you want to go back to the raul years.. we can add morientes and co. as well.

If the big teams like real madrid and Barcelona realize that its important to have a core of youth players coming up the ranks than why are folks here freaking out when a smaller club like rbny tries to develop their own core.

Not sure if serious. All of those except Borja and Valverde are products of other teams, and are just bought young because they have a lot of potential. You know, the thing we are asking RB to do here.

Also, did you notice that they are loaned out or not starting because the are currently not good enough?

Also, no one is saying do not use or develop RB2 players. Just make sure that they are supplemented by quality players, not just rely on replacement level young guys for 90% of the roster.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
The very best academy players should obviously get into the starting 11. Adams, Miazga, etc.

Everyone else shouldnt see the pitch unless theres an injury.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users