732 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

So I take it I'm in the minority in thinking we still have a chance at MLS Cup and the rest of the season isn't a total waste of time?

You are.

There are a couple of more days to sign a few lottery tickets. Klimala turns a corner, builds on his fecent Orlando showing, gains confidence and starts banging the goals in. Reyes comes back full time and becomes a rock (and stays healthy). Edwards decides to stay for 3 more months and finally plays on the right. Morgan and Luqui continue their great seasons. Tolkin somehow plays every remaining minute and stays healthy on his way to making the Qatar roster. Coronel convinces everyone he's all-MLS.

Weirder things have happened. But it's certainly not very likely.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

You are.

There are a couple of more days to sign a few lottery tickets. Klimala turns a corner, builds on his fecent Orlando showing, gains confidence and starts banging the goals in. Reyes comes back full time and becomes a rock (and stays healthy). Edwards decides to stay for 3 more months and finally plays on the right. Morgan and Luqui continue their great seasons. Tolkin somehow plays every remaining minute and stays healthy on his way to making the Qatar roster. Coronel convinces everyone he's all-MLS.

Weirder things have happened. But it's certainly not very likely.

So youre telling me theres a chance?

LONG LIVE METRO

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You guys are nuts lol. Its August, we're currently in a position to host a playoff game, we had a great Open Cup run, and half a dozen people are passionately convinced that the rest of the season is literally a waste of time.

I don't know where in the entire history of MLS you guys got the idea that only rosters with zero gaps are capable of winning MLS Cup. We're a good team, and especially when hosting some playoff games anything can happen. I cannot wrap my head around the wallowing some of you guys let yourselves fall into sometimes. Or the wallowing that some of you are permanently entrenched in. I'm having fun watching this year's team.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

You guys are nuts lol. Its August, we're currently in a position to host a playoff game, we had a great Open Cup run, and half a dozen people are passionately convinced that the rest of the season is literally a waste of time.

I don't know where in the entire history of MLS you guys got the idea that only rosters with zero gaps are capable of winning MLS Cup. We're a good team, and especially when hosting some playoff games anything can happen. I cannot wrap my head around the wallowing some of you guys let yourselves fall into sometimes. Or some of the wallowing that some of you are permanently entrenched in. I'm having fun watching this year's team.

I think its a constant gut punch that it feels when this team plays. We were clearly the better of the four teams remaining just losing like that was just demoralizing. And to add insult to injury, if we would have won we would have hosted the final vs an USL team! Add to the fact that we have gotten little production from the forward position and it seems with less than 3 days left that we will not get anybody in the summer window is a perfect storm for being upset at the organization. For me its the fact that they will have a bobble head night with the bobble head of a player that not only isnt with this team, but isnt even with the mother club anymore.

We do have a good core of players and I do believe we have a foundation to do great things. I think we have a good coach and I feel our style of play is effective. I just dont think we will win SS or make a run in the playoffs. Would love to be proven wrong but theres a good chance, if we dont acquire a couple new reinforcements that we wont do much in the playoffs.

LONG LIVE METRO

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I don't know where in the entire history of MLS you guys got the idea that only rosters with zero gaps are capable of winning MLS Cup. We're a good team, and especially when hosting some playoff games anything can happen. I cannot wrap my head around the wallowing some of you guys let yourselves fall into sometimes. Or the wallowing that some of you are permanently entrenched in. I'm having fun watching this year's team.

I kind of hate the narrative that has formed around the idea that MLS rosters have holes because of x,y, and z. That applies to teams that build their roster in a very specific way, see Toronto or Atlanta where they are dropping bags of money on 3 high priced DPs.

I expect those rosters to have holes, those teams are banking on their top level talent to carry them over the top.

There is less of an excuse for RBNY to willingly play the entire season with 2 natural CBs, even if Reyes wasnt injured they would only have had 3, a single viable LB, and Dylan Nealis as your starting RB.

RBNYs success isnt due to front office competence, and imagine where they would be if they even attempted to play with 3 DPs, 3 U22 players, and not 5 open senior roster spots.

Not going to celebrate 3rd/4th in the East. The players and Struber should feel good about that because their own organization does not believe in them enough to support them, but as a fan its not good enough.

Id rather they try and fail than not try at all.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

What's the last team that won without consistent goals from their striker position? The team is fine to watch and enjoy this season (much better than the last 2), but in its current iteration will almost inevitably fail against decent opposition.

There's definitely some recency bias on the forum after bad results, as well as after good ones. I'm not in the "waste of time" camp tbh. Being a team consistently making the playoffs is good and we could be so much worse, but it is frustrating watching RBFO decline (or be unable) to sign a difference maker every time we're oh-so-close. We've been "one piece away" for almost a decade and continue to be.

I'll keep watching in hope they somehow defeat the trophyless streak, but I do envy the people that are _optimistic_ about winning MLS Cup after huge and obvious roster holes remain unfilled through the transfer window.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

i like your quote I am enjoying this team and I am still frustrated with striker and RBG lack of action.

and we are in much better shape than anyone thought coming into this stage but that USOC loss was very rough and  RBG needs to improve this team at striker even if Klimala gets inspired by being on the field with Lewandowski and goes on a tear. We know the rest about LB depth and maybe RB depth. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
RB just sent an email for 2023 memberships. The photo they used is of Robert Lewdandowski hahahaha Yea....no thanks

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

RB just sent an email for 2023 memberships. The photo they used is of Robert Lewdandowski hahahaha Yea....no thanks

That's patently absurd. Can you post a screenshot?

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

They have to sell fans on players they might see once a year. Just like the social team milks Barça and Sserwadda for engagement.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we had a great Open Cup run

We were lucky to get & win 2 home games.
Fell flat in the road game that we needed to win.

I'm having fun watching this year's team.

Where? We are T-26th in Home points with 13.
We have won 3 of 10 home games: 3W-4T-3L.
Only 4 teams have won as few as 3 home games.
https://www.mlssocce...=2022&live=true

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out
Dont know how to post photo. To be fair, its him and Yearwod battling for the ball. But the main person (bigger, in front) is Lewa

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

a7ea1b68-697c-4a04-b07a-7452d57d92e4.png

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"up to 2 bonus events"

0 is "up to 2"

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Its August, we're currently in a position to host a playoff game, we had a great Open Cup run, and half a dozen people are passionately convinced that the rest of the season is literally a waste of time.

We have stunk at home this year so probably just priming up for a home playoff loss, at least we wouldn't have to travel anywhere lol

I wouldn't call the season a waste of time but I don't see this team winning MLS Cup so add that with no Open Cup, no Champions League qualification and it's yet another wasted opportunity because they refuse to add some players who might actually push this team over the edge to finally winning a tournament.

Would love nothing more to be wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users