139 replies to this topic

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

All of that talk came from fans who have gotten spoiled seeing the likes of Miazga and Adams take MLS by storm as a teenager, when in reality that's the exception and not the rule. I don't think anyone who watched CCJ regularly for RB2 was that confident he'd step into the lineup day 1.

If Rza and Davis keep struggling and he still can't find minutes, that'd be a little disappointing. But I'm not reading into his lack of minutes yet, that's the normal case for a 19 year old, even a talented one.

The weird thing is that a lot of that talk was coming right from the team. Armas (or maybe it was Dennis) saying that he's ahead of Adams at his age and stuff like that. A lot of the people who watched RB2 were more tentative.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Honestly it appears when Casseres has played with the first team he looks better than he does with the USL team. Last week, he did make the USL Team of the Week bench.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Lack of a ball-winning midfielder is starting to look like a bigger off-season oversight than a new winger. Right now we've got two 8's (Rza and Davis) playing as 6's and a 10 (Kaku) playing as an 8. Its just not a well balanced skill set out there.

I am still confused by this... Rza was, by all accounts, a natural 6 who we were plugging into other roles to get him on the field while Tyler was here.   Maybe the lack of production from Kaku and RM have tempted to try and do plug those holes, but that's something Armas needs to clearly define for him.    Either way, our problem has not been on defense.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

not sure why everyone is penciling in Davis as a lone D-mid in a 4-4-2.  We would get eaten alive. Did we already forget those 10 mins of the Santos game where we gave up 4x goals immediately after switching to a 1 d-mid formation?

In the modern game, you absolutely need 2 box to box mids at a minimum.  Kaku is not going to be the guy you want next to your d-mid as he will leave Davis by himself.

Those 10 min against Santos are a terrible marker to assess the need for 2 d mids as we are playing against a team that would win dominate MLS and be SS and Cup winners for years in a row. 

That being said put in Casserres.  RZA has had good games and then goes quite.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Play all 3 DMs if we have to cover the absence of Tyler. Could play the Christmas tree formation Portland plays (4-3-2-1) with Kaku and Royer behind BWP/MJ.

Play CCJ and Davis at DM, RZA at CAM (he did it in Salzburg) and Kaku on the LW/RW since Chris doesnt want our DP CAM to actually play in the middle.

There is flexibility in the squad that could be utilized. Instead we get square pegs and round holes and all that jazz.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

All of that talk came from fans who have gotten spoiled seeing the likes of Miazga and Adams take MLS by storm as a teenager, when in reality that's the exception and not the rule. I don't think anyone who watched CCJ regularly for RB2 was that confident he'd step into the lineup day 1.

If Rza and Davis keep struggling and he still can't find minutes, that'd be a little disappointing. But I'm not reading into his lack of minutes yet, that's the normal case for a 19 year old, even a talented one.

I could have sworn i heard a lot of Casseras talk from the team though. Armas, Hamlett, ect...

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I am still confused by this... Rza was, by all accounts, a natural 6 who we were plugging into other roles to get him on the field while Tyler was here.   

Is that true though? I remember the scouting report from his actual coach at Salzburg saying that he was a jack-of-all-trades midfielder without a real specialty. I felt like his play with us last year pointed more towards a 10 than a 6.

I could have sworn i heard a lot of Casseras talk from the team though. Armas, Hamlett, ect...

I could have missed that but if so, yeah that's a little strange. Coaches use the media very strategically with this sort of stuff, maybe he wanted to get some words out that CCJ would see as a confidence boost?

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The "CCJ is ahead of Adams" comments always strained credibility.  Adams looked like a far above average MLS player at the age of 18.  CCJ made a few mostly anonymous substitute appearances at the age of 18. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
https://www.mlssocce...res-how-and-why

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We're having Supporters Shield hangover a la 2016 where we had a terrible start as well. We were never gonna match last seasons regular season anyway. We can stem the tide of our slow start here. Minnesota is improved but they aren't great by any stretch. Positivity! 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Like I said: Dax, then Tyler, but now who?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We're having Supporters Shield hangover a la 2016 where we had a terrible start as well. We were never gonna match last seasons regular season anyway.  

New playoff formula will require us to win on the road ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

We're having Supporters Shield hangover a la 2016 where we had a terrible start as well. We were never gonna match last seasons regular season anyway. We can stem the tide of our slow start here. Minnesota is improved but they aren't great by any stretch. Positivity! 

I love the positivity, and I think we should win this week.  I don't know much about MNU except that Quintero is very good, but I'm guessing/hoping that otherwise they're pretty weak.  I know they were horrendous two years ago, for whatever that's worth.

Big picture though, I don't think this is SS hangover, I think it's a Red Bull team that hasn't kept up with the rest of the league and is going to be mid-table at best.  Unless they add one or two significant players this summer.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Like I said: Dax, then Tyler, but now who?

Casseres.

But it also has to do with adding in more possession

I think these are good question and points posed in the article

Does passing in middle third limit the duels and potential to win ball back in final third.  Does keeping the ball hamstring ability to capitlize on pressing.

Are our players (BWP) more suited to pressing game then passing game

Two very different game styles - pressing v passing - tough to carry off both. 

Interestingly the article indicates we have not attempted more pass, or attempted few passes  forward or had more possseion or lower pass completion percent.  Increased metric is 10% more passes in middle third.  

Does this mean in addition to 10% more passes in middle third are we are slower in decision making and not pressing as hard?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

In this era, its always been more about the system than any individual player.  Its not just a challenge for players to shift between pressing and possessing; its maybe a bigger challenge for the coaches to teach that.    I like Armas enough, but I don't see him as a student of the game or great thinker pouring over video for innovative ways to install the new strategy.    I still see him as a a very able assistant, who can go execute a training plan developed by someone else, but not able to come up with it himself.    I kinda wish Papa RB would send some smart staff guy over and help us work through this.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users