834 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I don't know how any ppl think Hamlett is gonna get us a striker than can do better on the field than Fletcher or Barlow. 

A dart thrown at transfermarkt should get us a better striker than Barlow.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They need to drop Fletcher maybe and pick up a guy like Luke Rodgers.  On one year loan, in a way.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

They need to drop Fletcher maybe and pick up a guy like Luke Rodgers.  On one year loan, in a way.

On paper, Fletcher is a guy like Luke Rodgers, just a lot taller

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I think long will finish the year so he has a good chance making it to the World Cup. 

Good point here. I have had it stuck in my head that moving to Europe gets Long a better shot at the WC squad, but I may be wrong. He is guaranteed starter here and, while successful European starts would be better on his resume for Berhalter, sitting on the bench for a few months does nothing for him. 

I still think he should go when he can, but just wanted to point out I like your train of thought here.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

while successful European starts would be better on his resume for Berhalter

That's what John Brooks would have thought...

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

The possible saving graces are that the back room staff is much stronger now than it was when it was Armas, Hamlett, and our scouting was some schmuck on a Zoom call from Austria, and the fact that Struber is much more competent than his predecessor.

Struber knows what he needs. Not sure whether RBNY is going to be allocated the resources to make that happen or if Hamlett should be trusted with those resources.

Conrado would be Hamletts strongest signing to date (post Marsch), which isnt saying much when its up against Jørgensen, Jensen, Egbo, Pendant, Marcus Epps, and Amro Tarek.

When it comes to offensive players, I don't think Struber has proven he has any idea what he needs yet. He seems to want height? But we don't play with wingers really putting crosses in ala DVB. 

Defense is Struber's strong suit and Stuber is learning and evolving with offense I am sure, but it seems like he wants Peter Crouch in as striker. For MLS salaries, you cant get that size AND talent. Barlow, Fabio, and Fletcher all fit a mold - big but, but are missing some quality.  

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

I think long will finish the year so he has a good chance making it to the World Cup. Then team will let him decide if he wants to go abroad or resign.

With the recent injury to starting CB Miles Robinson (achilles, out for the world cup), Long is pretty much a guaranteed lock to make the USMNT if he's healthy, regardless of where he plays the next few months.  That said, it's absolutely in Long's and the USMNT's best interest for Long to get regular minutes between now and November, and I think RBNY offers him that opportunity.  The last thing we'd want as a federation is for our starting CB to be languishing on a bench somewhere in Europe for the few months before the World Cup 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

With the recent injury to starting CB Miles Robinson (achilles, out for the world cup), Long is pretty much a guaranteed lock to make the USMNT if he's healthy, regardless of where he plays the next few months.  That said, it's absolutely in Long's and the USMNT's best interest for Long to get regular minutes between now and November, and I think RBNY offers him that opportunity.  The last thing we'd want as a federation is for our starting CB to be languishing on a bench somewhere in Europe for the few months before the World Cup 

Yea, along probably makes this team as long as hes heathy. But, he probably needs to be playing at his club if he wants get off the bench at the WC.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

That's what John Brooks would have thought...

The John Brooks who scored the game winner against Ghana in Brazil?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Yea, along probably makes this team as long as hes heathy. But, he probably needs to be playing at his club if he wants get off the bench at the WC.

This summer any player that has a shot to make the world cup roster, will try to move to a team to get permanent playing time. That goes for any country and not just the US. We see it for any major tournament and its the smart move by the player. No body wants to ride the bench in a world cup year. Robinson injury does help long chances but i don't want him cruising now. He needs to keep fighting and that will help our team out in the process. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I echo the need for LB and ST.

I feel we're pretty good elsewhere.

I don't like DNealis and I think he's a USL player but maybe I'm wrong and doesn't seem the effort to get a MLS journey RB when we have huge issues at backup LB, we don't have one. And ST, one good game for Kilmala could be a fluke not a trend...

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I echo the need for LB and ST.

I feel we're pretty good elsewhere.

I don't like DNealis and I think he's a USL player but maybe I'm wrong and doesn't seem the effort to get a MLS journey RB when we have huge issues at backup LB, we don't have one. And ST, one good game for Kilmala could be a fluke not a trend...

I am okay with d.nealis. defensively he gets the job done. Offensively he is avg. He is a good role player. Doesnt make dumb plays but doesnt have the ability to do anything good either. He just keeps the system moving along.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

^ Fixed.

:cheers:

bkizoulis

bkizoulis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts

I am okay with d.nealis. defensively he gets the job done. Offensively he is avg. He is a good role player. Doesnt make dumb plays but doesnt have the ability to do anything good either. He just keeps the system moving along.

I think eventually move him to cb. He hasnt been bad on defense but doesnt offer anything on the offensive game which is where I think he gets moans from supporters.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Very rough first few games but he's settled in. Guys who are cheap and don't make mistakes are gold for an MLS roster.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users