134 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So while NYCFC is promoting their brand across the city with the logo unveiling, signing an english language radio deal, taking jabs at our club on a daily basis on twitter and basically winning the media race in NYC our response is...another mid-season friendly?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Nice job promoting your supporters shield champions, marketing team.  Real bang up job.

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So while NYCFC is promoting their brand across the city with the logo unveiling, signing an english language radio deal, taking jabs at our club on a daily basis on twitter and basically winning the media race in NYC our response is...another mid-season friendly?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Nice job promoting your supporters shield champions, marketing team.  Real bang up job.

I disagree with a couple parts of your post.

1. Don't legitimize the new team by fighting back and essentially helping promote them.

2. We are never going to win a marketing war against that team and their money.  Just not gonna happen

We should make like the Devils and basically have a well-run team that wins some titles and stays above that.  You play well enough for long enough and you'll sell out. 

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

So while NYCFC is promoting their brand across the city with the logo unveiling, signing an English language radio deal, taking jabs at our club on a daily basis on twitter and basically winning the media race in NYC our response is...another mid-season friendly?

Excuse me? I mean what the fuck are they are supposed to do? They are severely limited budget-wise and are following orders from a company that feels that there's no reason to splash themselves all over NYC unless there's a new flavor for their energy drink.

Anybody remember that "Red Bull Wings" poster featuring Titi bicycle kicking a ball that was there, then it was gone?

The marketing staff is basically operating handcuffed to a tree, creatively speaking and you want to take potshots at them simply because you felt they are not "doing enough" promote the team in a way it should be done? You're wrong, dude. I've talked with some of these guys, they are just as frustrated as you are. Believe it.

If you want to make a point about how bad things are going on in the marketing department. Aim for the top, instead of shooting at the soldiers. Many of them probably agree with you in frustration.

I'm not saying that what you wrote was wrong, just your focus. That's all.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

Taking shots on Twitter. Ohhh nooooo, whatever will we do????

I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I remember when the Cosmos plastered their logo and Cantona all over Times Square.  Do you?

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I remember when the Cosmos plastered their logo and Cantona all over Times Square.  Do you?

Second division vs. first division.  We all knew their little stickers weren't gonna make a damn difference playing out on Long Island.  This is different, you know that as well as I do.

Excuse me? I mean what the fuck are they are supposed to do? They are severely limited budget-wise and are following orders from a company that feels that there's no reason to splash themselves all over NYC unless there's a new flavor for their energy drink.

Anybody remember that "Red Bull Wings" poster featuring Titi bicycle kicking a ball that was there, then it was gone?

The marketing staff is basically operating handcuffed to a tree, creatively speaking and you want to take potshots at them simply because you felt they are not "doing enough" promote the team in a way it should be done? You're wrong, dude. I've talked with some of these guys, they are just as frustrated as you are. Believe it.

If you want to make a point about how bad things are going on in the marketing department. Aim for the top, instead of shooting at the soldiers. Many of them probably agree with you in frustration.

I'm not saying that what you wrote was wrong, just your focus. That's all.

Did I specify which marketing department I was talking about?  This is a jab at all of the RB GmBH marketing guru's that are supposed to be promoting our local squad. The fact of the matter is there has been zero promotion of this squad since we won our first silverware in club history.  Absolutely nothing celebrating the accomplishment in the NY Metro area.   That is a big part of the reason why we're losing the media battle already.

#RedBullOut

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

Second division vs. first division.  We all knew their little stickers weren't gonna make a damn difference playing out on Long Island.  This is different, you know that as well as I do.

Did I specify which marketing department I was talking about?  This is a jab at all of the RB GmBH marketing guru's that are supposed to be promoting our local squad. The fact of the matter is there has been zero promotion of this squad since we won our first silverware in club history.  Absolutely nothing celebrating the accomplishment in the NY Metro area.   That is a big part of the reason why we're losing the media battle already.

No, you didn't. But then again, what difference does it make?

Maybe it's me, Nittany. But I rather have this team winning the "media battle" as you call it on the pitch and in the trophy cabinet, where it counts. They can brag all they want, we have a trophy, they have none. It's as simple as that. While I totally agree with you that the marketing has been virtually non-existent, sitting behind a keyboard, bitching and sniping at the team and its staff accomplishes nothing.

You really want to make a difference? Get a group of fans and start an underground media campaign (print, web, graffiti or whatever), sometimes word of mouth works best. Or better yet, bring some friends over to the next home match. It's mot much, but it's the best we can do for now...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

I disagree with a couple parts of your post.

1. Don't legitimize the new team by fighting back and essentially helping promote them.

What do you mean by "legitimize"? As soon as Garber said they're gonna play in MLS, they were legitimized. We can't do anything about that. You could say "don't dignify them" by fighting back, but that only works to the extent that we are regarded as superior to them, but I think we have a hard time making that case. We have a twenty year head start, a stadium,  and a devoted core of supporters. But we haven't used the head start well, and let's face facts, while the dedication of our supporters is something they don't have, we have underperformed in the number of supporters we have. Every game with visible empty seats brings that problem home.

The MLS marketing machine is gonna go into overdrive to make them look good. They are gonna have a few big name players, and some real talent in their squad. They'll get curiosity seekers, and MLS will put a lot of effort into making their supporters look good. I don't know if newspapers and other local media are gonna present the team in a better light than they present us (when they're not ignoring us), but they're not going to make them look WORSE than us.

The only real comparison where we clearly look way better is the stadium, but we kind of negate that advantage with the empty seats. So I don't think "legitimacy" is anything we can do anything about. Their supporters are going to be "plastic" or whatever, but pretty much every MLS team started out that way.

2. We are never going to win a marketing war against that team and their money.  Just not gonna happen

Then we're going to be in a world of shit. The whole POINT of Red Bull buying this team was to make Red Bull look good. They're supposed to be good at marketing. They're supposed to SPEND MONEY. 

We should have a great advantage over NYCFC, being the true local team, as opposed to being interlopers from the UAE via Manchester. But by having an identity that is basically indistinguishable from Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull Brazil, Red Bull Ghana, etc., we are conceding "local" to them, which is outrageous considering how fake they are. Yeah, we have Petke, but that's about it -- we haven't incorporated our local youth program into the main squad, and our lack of development of local sponsors and other ties has been noted.

So the only real advantage in having our identity of our team reflecting the identity of a wealthy foreign corporation should be FINANCIAL RESOURCES. I've already been feeling really uneasy that we're obviously getting outspent by Toronto (they basically poached the best USMNT player, who happens to be a Jersey guy AND who actually played for us). We're not Chivas or New England, obviously, but no team in MLS should be outspending us -- we have sold key parts of our local identity so a foreign company can benefit from our profile to market themselves. If they're going to call our team "Red Buil" then they have an obligation to spend at least as much money as a team called "Toronto FC" or "New York City FC." If they can't do that, then they need to clear out and sell the team to someone who will either spend the money or build this club in a more grass-roots way.

We should make like the Devils and basically have a well-run team that wins some titles and stays above that.  You play well enough for long enough and you'll sell out. 

I don't see Red Bull being in this business to play second fiddle in their own market. It can't be good for the brand. Again, either go local or clear out. The Devils have a strong NJ identity, but I don't want to see what goes in their building (when Rangers fans invade) happen to us. And I don't see anything on which to base the assumption that NYCFC will be run in as mediocre a way as the Rangers have been run in recent years. Yes, there's the history thing, which should give us an advantage that the Devils don't have, but we have messed that up by (a) not having a stable identity and (b) not being consistently good. Moreover it's optimistic to think that we'll be run with steady competence in the future.

If we can't at least count on Red Bull to have the sense of self-preservation that requires them to spend money to keep their brand from looking bad, then we need to encourage them to sell to someone who is willing to compete.

Of course I'm worried that they have no plan at all to deal with NYCFC. That's bad enough as it is, but by not coming up with a plan until later, they run the risk of letting NYCFC establish a real foothold.

If there's no real strategic direction, and if any marketing they do is going to be as sporadic as it has been in the past, we could be in serious trouble. There are two things that Red Bull should be able to do:

1. Marketing

2. Making sure that the soccer guys have enough resources to compete with anyone in the league

If Red Bull can't do that, then they need to leave.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

No, you didn't. But then again, what difference does it make?

Maybe it's me, Nittany. But I rather have this team winning the "media battle" as you call it on the pitch and in the trophy cabinet, where it counts. They can brag all they want, we have a trophy, they have none.

Without that trophy we would be over our heads in shit. But as NM pointed out, they're done nothing to build on that trophy. The supporters have done ALL the work -- making sure the Shield was in the house last October (which gave Red Bull the most compelling images they have ever had), making tifo, commemorative scarves, etc. What more does Red Bull need?

It's as simple as that. While I totally agree with you that the marketing has been virtually non-existent, sitting behind a keyboard, bitching and sniping at the team and its staff accomplishes nothing.

You really want to make a difference? Get a group of fans and start an underground media campaign (print, web, graffiti or whatever), sometimes word of mouth works best. Or better yet, bring some friends over to the next home match. It's mot much, but it's the best we can do for now...

I have nothing against the poor guys who handle marketing fro the front office. It's clear that there are few resources and no big picture thinking to help them out.

But supporters really HAVE done all the legwork, promoting the shield, creating tifo, etc. It's wrong to accuse supporters of complaining from behind their keyboards. More effort -- an underground media campaign -- is redundant, and to be honest kind of desperate. At some point Red Bull needs to be operating on the scale that supporters can't handle, and if they won't do it, they're conceding everything to NYCFC. What are we supposed to do, hope NYCFC screws it up? With the big exception of the stadium (which isn't really in their hands), they haven't really done anything to indicate that they're incompetent.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What do you mean by "legitimize"? As soon as Garber said they're gonna play in MLS, they were legitimized.

Nah... is Philly legit, in any meaningful, rival kind of way?  Of course not.

Anyway, I am sure they will be well promoted and have all sorts of  trendy, new-cool-thing-to-do attention for playing in Yankee Stadium, but I've seen what games are like in YS, and they suck.  Seats are 100 miles from the field, at all weird angles, and crowd noise disappears.    

We'll beat the snot out of them on the field, too, which is ALWAYS what matters most in this area.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

As long as we eventually fill our stadium, and beat them on the field, who has a greater number of fans doesn't matter much to me. 

Who has more fans, the Giants or Jets? Does anyone really care? 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I'd actually like to help promote certain aspects of NYCFC -- like the fact that their owner built his fortune on slave labor.  Or the fact that their owner is a polygamist.  Or the fact that their owner is a high ranking official of a foreign government that jails and executes gays.  Or the fact that their owner also owns Etihad Airways, an airline that refuses services to Jews.

Honestly, I think we should all be working hard to get the word out about this new team.

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

If they play at yankee stadium attendance will be horrible, as mention above viewing angles are horrible. Now the question is where will the away support be put ?????

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

As long as we eventually fill our stadium, and beat them on the field, who has a greater number of fans doesn't matter much to me. 

Giants by a massive margin

and it does make a differernce

I am not looking forward to being the second banana in this rivalry.  And it is coming,

Jeremy Thunder

Jeremy Thunder

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

We can't fill our staidum now, what makes you think we will be able to when there's a team to compete with who has better marketing and a more 'local' flavor?

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users