175 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I don't get focusing on outside back... At all.   It's also not good cap management to pay a backup significant money when you have a guy like Taxi making big money.  Plus two other CB's on the back line.  

You aren't going to do much better than Murillo and Duncan at RB.  I don't think there are any other RB tandems I'd take in the league and I'm not even a big fan of Murillo defensively.

If the issue is that you think MLS has passed Lade by, then fine.  Maybe that's the case but having Lade as a backup LB isn't the worst thing in the world.

The team has far bigger issues and LB isn't one.  BWP is a huge issue.  Kaku is a huge issue. And Armas is a huge issue.

When Lade starts and you know exactly what is going to happen and then it happens...that is a huge problem.

When Murillo is directly involved in giving up a goal a game...that is a huge problem.

Yes, there are a lot of other problems going on right now but when its grade school defending mistakes like staying goal side of your man...

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I don't get focusing on outside back... At all.   It's also not good cap management to pay a backup significant money when you have a guy like Taxi making big money.  Plus two other CB's on the back line.  

If the issue is that you think MLS has passed Lade by, then fine.  Maybe that's the case but having Lade as a backup LB isn't the worst thing in the world.

I mean this singular position pretty much caused us to lose the Atlanta series, but OK.  They dared us to beat them down the left and we couldn't do it at all.  If Kemar is hurt, this team is giving up at least one and probably 2 goals.  

I generally think winger is a much bigger hole to fill, but outside back (with this version of Murillo) is a clear weakness at the moment.  

#RedBullOut

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So what were you advocating before this year?  Another starting caliber outside back to be added?  Which we basically added with Duncan getting healthy?

If you wanted Lade gone then say so.  I don't remember a lot of people saying that but I could accept that opinion because he's very athletically and physically limited. 

I think Duncan is really good so I'd have no problem with him playing over Murillo.  He's not as good as Murillo is with the ball but at least he'll defend someone and work his ass off.

Taxi has to start staying healthy... Guy is missing a lot of games and now he's getting paid so it's a bit tougher to accept that. 

Bottom line though is that we are towards the bottom of the league in goals scored while playing a pretty easy schedule and one of those games had 4 goals.  It's a good indicator that our biggest issue is not with the outside backs.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

When they went to the sideline reporter and asked what KC game plan was the reporter said "they really like the 1v1 matchup against Connor Lade"....Oh really? No shit. Even Mo Edu said "there's not a question what their strategy is". And look at how they scored...

This happens every single game he plays....

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So what were you advocating before this year?  Another starting caliber outside back to be added?  Which we basically added with Duncan getting healthy?

If you wanted Lade gone then say so.  I don't remember a lot of people saying that but I could accept that opinion because he's very athletically and physically limited. 

I think Duncan is really good so I'd have no problem with him playing over Murillo.  He's not as good as Murillo is with the ball but at least he'll defend someone and work his ass off.

Taxi has to start staying healthy... Guy is missing a lot of games and now he's getting paid so it's a bit tougher to accept that. 

Bottom line though is that we are towards the bottom of the league in goals scored while playing a pretty easy schedule and one of those games had 4 goals.  It's a good indicator that our biggest issue is not with the outside backs.

I think you underestimate how much of our offense goes through the fullbacks, especially Taxi.   And without Adams, our fullbacks are being asked to defend more, which exposes Murillo (and Taxi's backup).  Without Taxi and Murillo being able to push the attack, we're toothless.  We are simply too dependent on Taxi to rely on Lade as his backup.   The ATL game proved that.  Sure, we could have upgraded at RM, which would have made us less vulnerable, but we didn't do that either.  

Lade regularly gets 1,300-1,400 minutes  season.  That amount of minutes is worth spending money on, even in a cap'd league.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I think you underestimate how much of our offense goes through the fullbacks, especially Taxi.   And without Adams, our fullbacks are being asked to defend more, which exposes Murillo (and Taxi's backup).  Without Taxi and Murillo being able to push the attack, we're toothless.  We are simply too dependent on Taxi to rely on Lade as his backup.   The ATL game proved that.  Sure, we could have upgraded at RM, which would have made us less vulnerable, but we didn't do that either.  

I think Taxi had one assist last year.  I understand he's so good that he helps drive play, but driving the offense is something else.

Our offense has been driven by the front 4 and a few of those guys are playing worse than they typically do.  Kaku for one, BWP is another. Royer still looks like himself which is great.  We've never gotten a ton out of that right mid spot which is a problem, but with all of these guys we have, you'd figure one would make the jump.  Keeping positions open for younger guys is part of the philosophy, like it or hate it.  

And for what it's worth, we lost to Atlanta because we bailed on the philosophy we used for the last several years.  Taxi has missed plenty of games over the years and we never did that before.  Then we waste a bunch of time early this season with possession in mind but finally everyone is focused again on pressing and creating turnovers.  Because that's what this team was built on. 

As soon as I heard Long before the game talking about flying up field and pressing I was optimistic about us being back on the right track.  As for Murillo, he's not very good defensively but he played motivated last night.  If they can keep him motivated then he'll come around and do some good things.  Even Kaku looked pretty good despite the crazy stuff at the end.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think Taxi had one assist last year....

And for what it's worth, we lost to Atlanta because we bailed on the philosophy we used for the last several years...

I don't care about Taxi's assist stats... I see how often and how quickly the ball moves up the field because of him, and how aggressively he can press in the opposing third because he has such extraordinary recovery speed.   No matter what Armas has said or will say, I refuse to believe we abandoned that style against ATL for any reason other than having Lade on the field, against an exceptionally strong opponent, in a huge game.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I don't care about Taxi's assist stats... I see how often and how quickly the ball moves up the field because of him, and how aggressively he can press in the opposing third because he has such extraordinary recovery speed.   No matter what Armas has said or will say, I refuse to believe we abandoned that style against ATL for any reason other than having Lade on the field, against an exceptionally strong opponent, in a huge game.

our fullback are more involved in our attack than most teams in the league.  But I think that is partly a result of our attack being toothless if they don't join in.  Murillo is better at dribbling and getting forward into dangerous areas than half of the RWs we play.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Amen. And just think of how many times he sprints backs and makes tackles to stop a break. When Lade is playing, the entire back line has to adjust and play more conservatively. Cant step high to force offsides as much, and the CB's often needs to help him cover his man. Kemar Lawrence was a best XI player last year, and arguably the best defender in the entire league. When you replace him with someone who at this point is a fringe MLS player, there is going to be a HUGE difference, as we have seen many times. 

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

got lucky get one point there.  Hero is a goal post :lol:

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

I was at that game. It has been a while, but IIRC the ball may have struck an LA fan. I do not recall her being injured, but think I held my breath until I saw yellow instead of red.
Acting out & retaliation never end well.
Edit: Brian just posted the video:
https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be
She ducked and was not struck by the ball.

https://youtu.be/BAs8st0iFBY

https://www.youtube....h?v=5mdhJs-c_04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users