109 replies to this topic

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i think i saw it posted earlier, but this game is not completely irrelevant.  Right now we're at 47 pts, which would put us tied for 5th out in the west.  If we win, we could move up into a tie for 2nd in the West (obviously not taking into account the West results next weekend). 

Let's say by some dumb stroke of luck we make it to MLS Cup...only to have to travel to Sporting KC for another Cup final, because they finished 2 points ahead of us in the standings. Let's try to crush DC this weekend but still give 1 or 2 guys a rest.

----------------Veron

-royer-------keita--------davis

-------------adams

kemar--long--DP--escobar--murillo

-------------robles

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

BWP needs a rest. He came out empty vs ATL and Veron looked a lot more dangerous in 1/3 of the time.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
We all know Felipe will play 90 + stoppage time and maybe jog back to Harrison after the game

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
You could make an argument either way about resting guys. Im glad Im not the coach so I dont have to make that decision.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

i think i saw it posted earlier, but this game is not completely irrelevant.  Right now we're at 47 pts, which would put us tied for 5th out in the west.  If we win, we could move up into a tie for 2nd in the West (obviously not taking into account the West results next weekend). 

Let's say by some dumb stroke of luck we make it to MLS Cup...only to have to travel to Sporting KC for another Cup final, because they finished 2 points ahead of us in the standings. Let's try to crush DC this weekend but still give 1 or 2 guys a rest.

----------------Veron

-royer-------keita--------davis

-------------adams

kemar--long--DP--escobar--murillo

-------------robles

Is this right?  Does it work like this?  Like, as a 5th seed on this side, could we potentially host against a 2 seed on the other side?  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Is this right?  Does it work like this?  Like, as a 5th seed on this side, could we potentially host against a 2 seed on the other side?  

Yeah, all that matters are the two finalists' records.

Catching Portland and Seattle would require home losses by both teams and us winning. SKC requires them to drop points at RSL and us to win. We only have to match Houston's result (at home vs Chicago) to be ahead of them.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Last year, based on the premise that we want a better record than Colorado, Jesse played the first team in a meaningless finale. We won that game, but crashed in the playoffs. Possibly not related, but it happened.

This year, the odds are even lower that Metro would make the final against a team that has fewer points than them. Can we just worry about getting past the play-in game first, on three (or four) day rest? One step at a time?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Last year, based on the premise that we want a better record than Colorado, Jesse played the first team in a meaningless finale. We won that game, but crashed in the playoffs. Possibly not related, but it happened.

Really? Had he rested players, you would be complaining that the team lost form by not playing the first team.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I would play our starting back 5 if possible so they can get a recent game all together before the playoffs and sub out Adams and/or Taxi after 60/70 mins.  Sacha, BWP can be left at home for all I care.  Split on playing Royer, based on if another game under his belt would help him get close to July Danny, but normally I leave him at home as well.  Everyone else can play.

Tough choice and understand both sides of the coin, but if BWP or Sacha got hurt the last game against these hacks I would be furious.  So I would rather keep them ready for mid week knock out game

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

I don't have exact numbers but from memory our record with resting players for a specific game is pretty fucking horrible, 0 - 4 la game after resting starters in a CCL game in el salvador or some shit and more recently philly tie before a loss in USOC final. I'm sure there are more examples but I can't think of a single game when resting players resulted in a ass whooping or even a win in a game that mattered more than the one we rested players for. In general I see the need and use for resting players, especially at  the end of a season, but with us I just think it's asking for trouble kinda like how we tend to come out flat after having a week off for international breaks, usually in the summer. I say we play our best team, whatever that is, with some early subs and few tactical changes like getting muyl off the field before the playoffs. The result doesn't matter but we are not a team capable of turning it on when needed as can be seen by our shitty record in big games, so let's ride whatever momentum we have going at the moment and hope it's good enough for the wild card game. I don't think our guys are tired, we looked very flat/"tired" beginning of the season and look much more energized now at the end of the season.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Really? Had he rested players, you would be complaining that the team lost form by not playing the first team.

Or maybe we wouldn't lose. Who knows?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This year, the odds are even lower that Metro would make the final against a team that has fewer points than them. Can we just worry about getting past the play-in game first, on three (or four) day rest? One step at a time?

He could have split the difference.  We were up 2-0 after the 57'.  Damari came in for Grella at 62', Veron for BWP at 79', and ZIZZO for Muyl at 88'. Collin, Perrinelle, Dax, & Sacha, all over 30 at the time, all went the full 90'.  I think it was only Dax's second or third start after coming back from the injury too.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
It makes way more sense to play the reserves Sunday.

All four of the potential knockout round opponents (NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, and Columbus) will be rolling out their first teams for the full 90 minutes this weekend as they try to secure the second seed or home field advantage.

The Red Bulls don't really have to do the same and can capitalize on tired legs next Wednesday or Thursday against teams who are coming off short rest.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Looks like Jesse said he will be resting a lot of guys.

https://www.newyorkr...ainst-dc-united

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users